Favorite Protein Bar???

Options
I'm looking for a good protein bar. Preferably one without a ton of unpronounceable ingredients and more than 10g protein.

Replies

• JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just started using 'energy' bars and bought Cliff bars form Costco. They taste alright, and I defitnatley notice the energy they give me and lasts a couple hours at least. The are just under a dollar each. I didn't find many that were true 'proein' bars, most were also high in carbs / sugars.

Look forward to hearing others replies as I am interested in trying options.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Quest Bars...Low carb, low sugar, high fiber. Often high in protein (20g) and the protein is whey protein.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein bars. I buy a big box of them from Costco. If you drink a full glass of water with them, they really fill you up. They have over 20g protein, 18g carbs, and only 3g sugar. The amount of protein depends on which flavor you get. The chocolate peanut butter flavor has 32g protein.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is the Clif Bar White Chocolate Macadamia Nut. It's organic and all natural. The carbs and sugar might seem a little high, but I really only eat them an hour or so before a good workout. The Clif Builder Bars have 20g protein and are pretty good too. Crunchy peanut butter is my fave flavor. Enjoyable filling recovery snack/meal in a pinch.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    QUEST!!!!!

190 Cal
    20g protein
    6 net carbs
    3g sugar
    17g dietary fiber

All natural and gluten free

Get them at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Quest online or Body Building.com (which is teh cheapest place I've found them).

Coconut
    Banana Nut
    Apple pie
    are my fave and they just came out with Cookie dough which seriously tastes like a candy bar - but so much better for you!!! LOVE THEM!!!
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i like Luna protein bars and the original Tiger Milk. I'm allergic to fake sugar (sucralose in particular) and these don't have it. The Luna bars (cookie dough) have 170 cals and 12g protein. Tiger milk only has 6g and 140 cals. It's smaller, too, so it's more of a snack bar for me while the Luna bars feel like a meal. Both are available at my local grocer, which is a plus for me since i'm quite busy right now. I would recommend drinking either with a large amount of water.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    quest bars (vanilla almond crunch & peanut butter and jelly)
    life lift by vpx

only two i will eat.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    we like Oh Yeah bars, and both my husband and I found Quest bars to be horrrifyingly unpalatable. Something about the stevia used to sweeten them, I guess some people can taste a certain nasty aftertaste that it can have, and we're part of the unlucky few. They are also the texture of tootsie rolls that have set out from Halloween to Easter because nobody wanted to eat them :laugh:
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    we like Oh Yeah bars, and both my husband and I found Quest bars to be horrrifyingly unpalatable. Something about the stevia used to sweeten them, I guess some people can taste a certain nasty aftertaste that it can have, and we're part of the unlucky few. They are also the texture of tootsie rolls that have set out from Halloween to Easter because nobody wanted to eat them :laugh:

It really depends on which bar. The Brownie and the Strawberry Cheesecake seem to be less palatable and have a bit of aftertaste

But Vanilla Almond, Coconut, and Cookie Dough are delicious w/ no after taste.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Lots of the below statements going around. I don't even eat the protein bars anymore because of the processed stuff and the high fat content. Instead going for the protein shakes!!

"It's impossible to generalize that all protein bars are unhealthy, but it's safe to say that if you flip most of them over and read the nutrition info, you might be shocked. Unless organic, most protein bars are highly processed, even featuring artificial ingredients and fillers. Bottom line, if your protein bar has more than 200 calories or 8 grams of sugar, it's more like a candy bar with added protein than health food.."
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll have to find some Quest bars to give them a try.
    I've used Clif and Zone - just trying to find something less processed and full of crazy ingredients!

KIND bars are good but some varieties only have 4g of protein! That's hardly a protein bar in my opinion.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Unless organic, most protein bars are highly processed,

Would love to know how those unprocessed, organic, protein bars are made. do they just mash raw meat and unhulled grains into a bar form?
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are great, I eat them for lunch when I don't have time to make it about 3 times a week and I love them. They're 75% organic, and have a lot of vitamins, plus around 9-12 grams of protien and 3-4 grams of fiber. And they're around 170-190 calories.
    God, I sound like I'm advertising for them. I should get paid. Haha but seriously, they taste like candy bars and have a lot of good stuff.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like quest too - my favorites are the chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter & jelly.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars...Low carb, low sugar, high fiber. Often high in protein (20g) and the protein is whey protein.

This!! They have a natural line without difficult to pronounce words. The coconut cashew is delish!

ETA: http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/16/the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars/#the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love Clif Builder's bars, especially the Chocolate Mint and S'mores flavor. 20 grams of protein in each.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Quest Bars are my bff! Chocolate chip cookie dough and pb&j are my favorite but I love them all!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Zone Perfect - 14 g protein. I love the peanut butter.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research on this. I have additional criteria: I can't eat gluten/dairy and I was trying to be low fat too. Here are my top choices:

Simply Bar (many flavors): 160 calories, 16g protein, 3g fat, 16g carb, 4g fiber, 3g sugar
    Odwalla Chocolate Peanut Butter: 200 cal, 12g protein, 6g fat, 26g carbs, 2g fiber, 17g sugar
    Purefit Chocolate Brownie: 210 cal, 18g protein, 6g fat, 25g carbs, 4g fiber, 13g sugar

As you can see, the Simply Bar stands out for being so low calorie/fat/sugar/carbs for so much protein. I have them on auto-order through Amazon. :flowerforyou: