Need help creating strength training routine

Options
Hey I need help creating a strength routine.

I go to the gym Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

if that helps

-rj

also im trying to lose weight and build up

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i find yoga studio app is great lots of different yoga routines and you can do it while watching TV!! Your body is so much heavier than weights builds strength tone and endurance, great for rainy days.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't write your own, there are plenty out there.

Start at www.bodybuilding.com and check out the fitness plans section.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You can use Jefit.com or download the app for Android / Iphone - they have a wide selection of workouts, visuals, progress trackers
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Your body is so much heavier than weights builds strength tone and endurance, great for rainy days.

What?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri sounds like the perfect day spread for the beginner-modified rotation of Wendler 5/3/1.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Enjoy.
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Any of these will do just fine; Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (Get the book, it will teach you loads about form and kinesiology), Stronglifts 5x5, Jason Blaha's Novice 5x5 (if you can find it in the BB.com forums or youtube).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hey I need help creating a strength routine.

I go to the gym Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

if that helps

-rj

also im trying to lose weight and build up

Get Starting Strength 3rd Edition.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised no one has jumped down your throat about trying to create a custom plan as a beginner yet. You got lucky apparently.

Anyways...

I'd build your routine around big, compound lifts, the add in other lifts compliment those or to help with your specific goals. I'd do something like:

Mon/Thurs: squat, bench press, rows... then 2-4 accessory lifts (lunges, curls, dips whatever)
    Tues/Fri: deadlift, overhead press, pull-ups... then 2-4 accessory lifts (lunges, curls, dips whatever)

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised no one has jumped down your throat about trying to create a custom plan as a beginner yet. You got lucky apparently.

Anyways...

I'd build your routine around big, compound lifts, the add in other lifts compliment those or to help with your specific goals. I'd do something like:

Mon/Thurs: squat, bench press, rows... then 2-4 accessory lifts (lunges, curls, dips whatever)
    Tues/Fri: deadlift, overhead press, pull-ups... then 2-4 accessory lifts (lunges, curls, dips whatever)

I think you have too much overlap on this. I wouldn't want to do squats and deads; bench press and overhead press; and rows and pullups on consecutive days. These parings work most of the same muscle groups.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I would just do a simple upper/lower split. Upper or lower on Mon and Thurs and upper or lower on Tues and Friday. I will give an example.
    Mon-upper strength
    Bench 4x5
    Rows (any type) 4x5
    Overhead press 4x5
    Tues Lower Strength
    Squat 4x5
    Deadlift (any variation) 4x5
    Seated Calf Raise 4x5
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Upper
    Pullups/pulldowns 3x8-10
    Rows 3x8-10
    Incline press 3x8-10
    Parallel dips or any other chest movement 3x8-10
    lateral raises 3x8-10
    shrugs 3x8-10
    bicep exercise of your choice 3x8-10
    tricep exercise of your choice 3x8-10
    Fri
    Squat 3x8-10
    Leg press 3x8-10
    Lunges or step-ups 3x8-10
    Leg curls 3x8-10

For your strength days rest about 3-4 min between sets. Hypertrophy days (Thurs/Friday) rest 1-2 min between sets.
  • rachelleighf
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is great for this!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You don't need help as much as you need to read a book. Go read starting strength and/or NROLFL. They will give you loads of helpful information along with a basic plan. IMO you need the information even more than the plan right now
  • jeenyus43
    jeenyus43 Posts: 14
    Options
    Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri sounds like the perfect day spread for the beginner-modified rotation of Wendler 5/3/1.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Enjoy.

This! Been doing 5/3/1 for a couple years now and probably will continue for as long as I lift. Love it. Do yourself a favor and buy the ebooks Jim is amazing. Be ready for some straight talk lol
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Anyways...

I think you have too much overlap on this. I wouldn't want to do squats and deads; bench press and overhead press; and rows and pullups on consecutive days. These parings work most of the same muscle groups.

It's not direct overlap (primary muscle groups are different for all lifts, secondary muscles are the overlap), and IMO, most beginners can handle it once they get their form down.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    with a 4 day/week split, focusing on movements works fairly well. I like to alternate accessory work on it so I'm not totally thrashed,

Day 1 - Squat, Squat Variation, Deadlift Accessory 1, Deadlift Accessory 2
    Day 2 - Bench, Bench Variation, Press Accessory 1, Press Accessory 2
    Day 3 - Deadlift, Deadlift Variation, Squat Accessory 1, Squat Accessory 2
    Day 4 - Overhead Press, Press Variation, Bench Accessory 1, Bench Accessory 2

So an example might look like this for a beginner (I'll use 5x5 since it's easy to write, but really use whatever works best for you)
    Squat 5x5, Front Squat 3x8, Pendlay Row 3x10, Shrug 3x12
    Bench 5x5, Floor Press 3x10, Seated DB Press 3x10, External Rotations 3x20
    Deadlift 5x5, Elevated Stiff Leg Deadlift 3x10, Barbell Reverse Lunge 3x12, Good Mornings 3x12
    Overhead Press 5x5, Single Arm DB Press 3x8, Incline Bench Press 3x10, Chest Flyes 3x12
  • RepoJay
    RepoJay Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank You all for your replies it's helped me a lot
  • grantdumas7
    Options

It's not direct overlap (primary muscle groups are different for all lifts, secondary muscles are the overlap), and IMO, most beginners can handle it once they get their form down.
    I agree to an extent that beginners can handle higher frequency but I would still err on the side of cautions. Look at rows and pullups. Both work the back/lats as the primary and bis and rear delts as secondary.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Anyways...

You wouldn't want to do bench and overhead press on consecutive days but it's ok to do them on the same day?

Assuming adequate nutrition, rest, and warm up/cool down the whole "you must not move the muscles you worked in a gym in any way until 124015201125125 hours have passed" is overstated. Start light, and judge how you feel. If it doesn't hurt and you can make consistent progress with good form, it's probably alright. That'll also change from muscle to muscle.