Do you eat a snack before the gym?

Options
I am following the lean gains life style which I really like.

I eat a meal at 12, meal around 3 and a meal at 7.30 and I have been having something around 4.30 before going to the gym in the AM.

Should I push my meal to around 3.30 and skip the snack at 4.30?

Thanks!

Replies

• Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i always have a big cup of black coffee, it gets me a little bit pumped, and an apple or some pineapple. not sure if i should have protein, this is just my routine.
    xx
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS always snack before hitting the gym. if it fits your calorie goals, eat whenever you feel like, honestly. I find that I can't workout well if I haven't had a little something just before, even if it's only a bit of peanut butter and a rice cake or a granola bar or a piece of fruit.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I eat anything before the gym i feel really sick during the workout, even if i ate an hour and a half before, is this normal? haha xx
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 2 hours before the gym and that works fine. I'm always super hungry when I leave the gym so I usually eat my snack right after. My stomach hurts when I eat too heavy before the gym :/
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie 45 minutes before the gym: whey protein, 1 banana and skim milk.
    I also bring a separate bottle with whey protein mixed with water to the gym. I drink it as soon as I am done with workout.
    This is separate from my plain water supply for the workout (32 oz bottle).
    I work out at 5 am. I have a full breakfast after workout and shower. Oatmeal with fruit, ground cinnamon and skim milk. Plus two whole eggs, boiled.

My breakfast for rest day (no workout) is oatmeal with fruit and skim milk and two eggs whites, boiled . No whey protein at all and no banana.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    yes before and after the gym
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How do you feel during yoru workout? That's pretty much the only determining factor... eat so you can get in the best workout. If that means a snack, have a snack. If that means no snack, then don't.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Im thinking of trying coconut water during the gym. I usually eat before about 120 calories or so.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Protein Shake 30 minutes before hand, pre-work out 20 minutes before hand .. and protein shake after the gym within 30 minutes :D (Its the amazing combination that has created all this awesomeness :D )
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually do a Clif bar about an hour before working out, and either dinner or a protein shake right after.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My pros I turn to have told me to exercise on empty, replenish with electrolytes during and consume 20 mg of protein within 40 min of finishing workout and to have 100 mg protein on exercise days. That being said, I will have my one cup of coffee and one serving of fruit 1 hr prior to workout. Was told this helps to burn more fat cal then my muscle mass and provides better muscle build after as well as providing for less body stress on workout days. I am at my goal wt - so more in a maintenance mode.
  • SAMC1989
    SAMC1989 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input! :)
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do leangains as well and have a some bcaa and cup of black coffee
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I feel I didnt eat enough during the day or my energy is low ( I go after work ) I will eat something. Just go with how I am feeling I guess. BUt if I ate alot that day, no I won't eat anything .
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    i always have a big cup of black coffee, it gets me a little bit pumped, and an apple or some pineapple. not sure if i should have protein, this is just my routine.
    xx

Hey Girl, you know that coffee and that apple is great and here is why..
    Obviously the coffee is going to help you burn more cals..and the apple is actually more energizing than the coffee. It has something in that gives our body's more energy than coffee does and its not dehydrating.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    yes before and after the gym
    This
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some people feel more energetic if they eat an hour or two beforehand, others wait until afterwards, and still others do both. I would suggest you try and experiment yourself. Try a carby snack before and after, and a protein snack before and after, and see what works for you =)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat before the gym. I go Tues, Thurs at 745pm, and sat at 700am. Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have a snack around 3:00 .. but there's just not time to force down some dinner between the time I get home from work and head off to the gym. If I workout within an hour or so of eating, I will be miserable .. side stiches for the whole time ..

Saturday mornings, there's 2 factors. To eat, I would have to get up earlier, which I'm not willing to do, and second, well, I just don't "do" breakfast. The thought of eating at 6 or 630 am, I just .. well .. no.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning, so I just have green tea, train fasted, then I feast.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    bcaa's and coffee black as well here.

Otherwise, I never liked working out on a full belly anyway. I used to eat a meal at least a couple hrs prior. Nothing more than a small apple right before a workout.