Achilles Tendonitis?

Options
Hi all... Looking for advice as to which aerobic exercises I can do with Achilles Tendonitis. Would like to start biking as the weather is finally nice here... Also usually take a kick-boxing class a few days a week, sometimes use a treadmill, maybe tennis, etc... Can't get in to see my physician yet but pretty sure it's definitely Achilles (pain in back of ankle for 2+ weeks, especially barefoot, and have now developed two raised sore bumps in same area). Any input welcome!

Replies

• louismetal
    Options
    I suffered pretty bad with this last summer and any exercise I did, swimming, biking and even walking caused pain. The only remedy I found was prolonged rest and sports massage. Take it easy if you can bare it or you risk chronic pain :(
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have chronic achilles tendonitis and when I have flare ups, I stop running (my main form of cardio). I have found that I can do an elliptical without any aggravation and I would guess that cycling wouldn't aggravate it either. Swimming is my favorite activity but I know it is not a solution for everyone, especially if they don't have access to a pool or are not strong swimmers.

Definitely see a doctor -- he/she can give you exercises that you can do to prevent the situation in the future (or point you in the direction of a physical therapist that can help). I had a huge flare-up a little over a year ago (could barely walk) and now I am easily running 35 - 40 miles a week with zero pain since I have been consistently doing the exercises (mainly focused on building calf strength).

Good luck!

Edit: The rule of thumb is if an activity hurts, stop doing it.
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    Thank you very much guys!! Really appreciate it :)