Softball

Options
Hi y'all,

So we already know that MFP drastically exaggerates the amount of calories burned from excercise. Have any of you worn a HRM during a slow-pitch softball game? A game typical lasts 1.5 hours but obviously you're not moving for that whole time. How would I get a more accurate idea of calories burned without an HRM?

Replies

• marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • fuhreeus
    fuhreeus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just noticed this the other day after seeing someone log their Slow pitch softball game which burned well over 1000 Calories. That is hilarious. Maybe if you're jogging in place the entire game you can burn at that level.

Slow Pitch softball is organized rest.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    So we already know that MFP drastically exaggerates the amount of calories burned from excercise.

For starters, no, we don't 'know' this. For walking and running MFP is actually quite accurate. When I was less fit, it underestimated my burn as compared to my HRM. Now that I'm more fit, it's a slight overestimate. But very, very minor and well within the margin of error of my HRM anyway. For other exercises, such as cycling, I've found all sources (MFP, online calculators, etc) to overestimate.

As for softball, I was just thinking about this as well. I definitely wouldn't use MFP for that one. But, the HRM wouldn't be effective either because your heart rate won't be high enough for most of the game. Personally, I would probably just log about half the time (or even less) as 2 mph walking.