My first 10k coming up... and my allergies are killing me!

Options
I'm signed up for my first 10k on May 4th. I've been training since January (running 1-2x per week, doing other cardio/workouts in addition), and about 2.5 weeks ago I went on a 6.4 mile jog. BUT since then I've only gone running ONCE (3 miles) because my allergies have kicked in and I'm constantly congested, even when I'm inside! Any tips on working out/maintaining fitness or stories of similar situations or... well, anything, really? :blushing:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Can you take an allergy medication? You should talk to your doctor, really.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Pray for rain?

I have bad allergies and still run and run outside, I have a half marathon coming up on the 5th and I'm dealing with my spring allergies. I take zyrtec and flovent which work together for me. I haven't tried this, but I heard running with a surgical mask on helps block some of the fine particulates. Other things, I generally always carry water for runs over 3 miles because it helps breakup some of the stuff in my nose and throat and when it's really bad, I run with a bit of vicks vapo rub under my nose, helps with the congestion.

I actually ran my fastest 5k pushing the jogging stroller in the height of ragweed season, my worst time. I was so congested I lost my voice but the vicks helped enough that I got it done.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    maybe try essential oils.....Lavender or Peppermint, make sure it's 100% pure essential oil

Lavender Essential Oil is a natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory. Here’s how to use Lavender Essential Oil for allergy relief:

Topically: Add 1 drop of Lavender to your cheeks, forehead and sinuses as needed. You can also apply lavender to the soles of the feet before bed.

Diffuse: Diffuse Lavender Essential Oil in a cold diffuser for 15 minutes every 2 hours. You can also diffuse lavender at your bedside while sleeping.

Inhalation: Apply 1-2 drops of Lavender to the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together and cup them over your nose. Inhale deeply 4-6 deep breaths.

One of the other benefits of using Lavender Essential Oil is that it has calming, relaxing effects which will help to reduce and manage stress. And….it smells good

Peppermint Essential Oil has analgesic (pain relief) and anti-inflammatory properties and has been used for centuries to relive nasal congestion. For some individuals, the use of peppermint oil has eliminated the need for allergy shots.

Here’s how to use Peppermint Essential Oil to get some allergy relief:

Topically: Apply 1 drop of Peppermint Essential Oil to the base of the neck 2 times/day. You can also dilute peppermint in Olive Oil or other carrier oil and apply around the nostrils (If applied at full strength, this oil may be too strong and sting the sensitive tissue of the nostrils)

Diffuse: Diffuse Peppermint Essential Oil by the bedside and throughout the day.

Inhalation: Apply 1-2 drops of Peppermint to the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together and cup them over your nose. Inhale deeply 4-6 breaths.

for either of these you could put some on a rag or sleeve, shoulder of your top and inhale when you are having trouble.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your allergies, I could imagine that it would be hard to breath, especially when trying to run! I don't have allergies, but my son has them pretty bad. He's been on immunotherapy injections forever, and when spring and fall come around, he supplements with medication. Over the counter allergy meds may help, or if your real bad maybe a visit to the allergy doc. Also, some people really like the netti pot.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Antihistamines.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. I am suffering too and my 5K training is way off!. I had hoped to increase my pace for my upcoming run, but I am going to count it as a total success just running it at all. Zyrtec helps but I keep an inhaler handy as well ( I have allergy related ashtma) Good luck and, believe me, I feel your pain!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Zyrtek is my friend right now. It takes a few days for it to really "kick in", but that's what my doc suggested and it really does help me (and not make me sleepy).