42 yr old with Hysterectomy

Options
Hi a year and half ago I had partial hysterectomy done and I really wish I knew about the weigh gain issue!!-- I have gained 35# since then and I have read countless articles about this and people responding that it is hard to lose weight after--but have not heard anything from anyone who has successfully lost weight and would love to know how the struggle worked out i am doing great but only losing about .40# a week- hard when you work so hard and nothing happens (I know losing but not like what I would think I would lose) anyone else in same boat? or WAS in this boat and beat it??

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you didn't have your ovaries removed there should be absolutely no reason why there would be any difference with weight loss now than before or any weight gain. I had a partial when I was 28 and actually lost weight after because I was more active without all the pain and cramping.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy in my early 30s (late 40s now) and I couldnt stop putting weight on. Even now, watching what I eat, and exercising hard every day, I still struggle to lose weight at the same speed as many people, 1-2lbs over a 6 week spell is hard going!. I have lost though, so I am thankful for that... and until I get to my goal, I'm not stopping.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It can't be worse that menopause. My metabolism slowed down at 42 - with no hysterectomy. It has slowed down more since I've began menopause.

Over those 10 years, I did gain perhaps 20 pounds by not slowing my food intake to my new metabolism. But I have now and am back to my college weight - 35 pounds down from my highest weight with a BMI just under 22.

The hysterectomy can explain why you gained weight. But you can lose it again. If it's only been a year, your body isn't really committed to it. It will come off if you're persistent.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy in my early 30s (late 40s now) and I couldnt stop putting weight on. Even now, watching what I eat, and exercising hard every day, I still struggle to lose weight at the same speed as many people, 1-2lbs over a 6 week spell is hard going!. I have lost though, so I am thankful for that... and until I get to my goal, I'm not stopping.

You could be right with the estrogen regulation of weight and weight deposition.
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Total Hysterectomy in my early 30's - on HRT since then - lost quite a bit of weight after the surgery - then pretty much gained - dieted/lost/gained/dieted/lost/gained. - I am able to lose about a pound a week average - sometimes more - sometimes less - but it takes me really watching my caloric intake and EXERCISE! I have lost without exercise - but find it is a lot easier when I do exercise.

Every body is different of course - best of luck and don't give up!

:flowerforyou:
  • KaraStack2013
    KaraStack2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all- just wish could lose faster (like I did before surgery) just seems like working soooo hard and not getting the results looking for---I will keep on keeping on!!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I (43) will have a hysterectomy in 2 weeks and already had issues the last few years due to slower metabolism, to lose weight or keep it off. Even though I eat right and am very active. Someone said, it is not so bad, when you keep the ovaries? Thats my only hope.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy 5 years ago, and weighed 10 lbs. less after the surgery. That was a start, and I kept it off! A couple of years ago, I joined MFP and lost another 30 lbs. in 7 months. I followed the 1200 net calorie plan and did a lot of cardio, but I think lifting weights is what really helped my metabolism. Good luck!
  • taz69tazz
    taz69tazz Posts: 57
    Options
    Im 30 and I had a full hysterectomy about 2 weeks ago and ive lost like 22 pounds or so since then
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Full hysterectomy ten years ago, I'm 43 now. Woke up in the recovery room in 'medical' menopause. That lasted about 3 years and since then my metabolism is as slow as a snail. I didn't do HRT until two years ago because I was so frustrated at the enormous weight gain and such a difficulty to lose. With the HRT I lost 70 pounds in a year but have gained it all back and then some. I did not realize that I would have to continue my 'diet' after I lost it all. Boy oh boy was I wrong! Now days I can just look at something high in calories and I gain weight...or so it seems.

You're not alone, and you don't have to be on here. We're here to help you any time you need. Send me a friend request, any of you can.

We got this!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Ok, I lost 6 lbs since my hysterectomy almost 2 weeks ago. Maybe the fibroid weighed a lot, lol. But I feel so much better now except my bloated belly at the end of the day. Lets see, what happens in the next weeks or month. Hope, I don't gain it all back :laugh:
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello all- just a week post total hysterectomy, nice healthy ovaries left- I am 46, and have been exercising and watching my diet for about a year now. I will check back in as the weeks go to let you know if there is any issue with weight, I hope not, but will let y'all know.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine on bioidentical estradiol transdermal patches says her weight has been stable.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy about 10 years ago, struggled on HRT with side effects and stopped using it, gained 59 pds. I have lost 23 of those pds over the last 1.5 years and started on MFP in Dec. for the support factor. I was wondering, does anyone know how much approximately to drop the calorie count to reflect no longer having this process going on in my body? Or what drop has worked for you?
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I did not have a hysterectomy, but Chemo threw me into early menopause at 42. Yes, put on a lot of weight. I am slowly losing it....(I gained about 60 lbs). I have lost about 35 lbs of and now I have found something that really seems to work. MFP has helped me when I stalled. I have lost about 11 lbs with MFP., doing TDEE - 20%. It took a few weeks, but now am losing 1- 1.5 lbs a week. For the first few weeks, my weight did nothing because I was only eating about 1200 calories and working out. Now I eat more and weight is really coming off.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration!

I'll be 42 in November and had a partial hysterectomy -- full vertical incision and all! =( -- at 40. Losing the weight post-surgery has definitely been a struggle, much harder than when I did it before. I just keep chugging along trying to stay focused and positive. Given how hard and slow it's been, I'm even MORE determined to keep it off this time. I simply can't do this again.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am 42 years old and had a full hyst with a full-length vertical incision (belly button all the way down!) when I was 32. I use a HRT patch, but it took a couple of years to figure out what strength worked best for me.

I gained almost 20 pounds over those couple of years and have struggled very hard for the first 7 years to pull 10 of those back off. In the next 3 years, have dropped another 7 pounds, but still have 3 to go. It's a struggle and I have found that I absolutely have to count each and every calorie that goes into my body because of the way my metabolism slowed down.
  • nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am 24 and I am having a partial on May 6th. They are leaving my ovaries in and I was concerned about weight gain. I am extremely active and am hoping that I will still be fine. It will difficult "relaxing" for 6 weeks! (no heavy lifting or running)
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I an 46. I had a full Hysterectomy 3 months ago. I also have Hypothyrodism. Got serious with MFP after the surgery and seeing better results. Just curious as to what others are experience and wondering if this will last.
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and have gained about 30 lbs and am having a hard time losing too. I kept my ovaries but they stopped working anyways. I take estrogen and that helps. My mom who is 58 said to just wait out menopause and then the weight will come back off but I am continuing to try anyways. I think exercise is really the key to it all. Your metabolism slows down when you hit menopause so the exercise helps speed it back up.