Help - eating out for dinner

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm desperately in need of some friendly advice! Only just found out that I'm eating out tonight, and have left myself with only 500 calories for the rest of the evening.

What will I do about wine at the table? I must have some surely! Oh dear. I don't want the fun sucked out of it but really trying to stick to ma plan this weekend.

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Regarding wine: I read a suggestion here recently that made sense ~ maybe consider ordering a spritzer?
  • 1jobean
    1jobean Posts: 84
    Options
    Get a workout in, that will give you more calories. Look the restaurant menu up online and see if they have nutritional info posted. Im on a whole food plant based diet and I just ask the server if they can tailor a meal for me. Most places will subsitute items for special diets.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sip on some wine, then get something healthy for dinner, like steamed veggies and fish (not in butter!), or have a healthy appetizer for your dinner if they have one (i.e. smaller portion). If you have time, try to get in some exercise (walking?) or just plan to burn extra calories this weekend to make up for it. Don't freak out if you go over your calorie allotment for one day! You still have your life to live, right?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to go a little over. MFP calculates a deficit in, so even if you go a bit over, you'll still likely just hit our maintenance calories. And, even if you create a bit of a surplus, as long as you don't go absolutely crazy, you'll be ok. If you really don't want to indulge too much, order a salad with plain grilled chicken, no croutons, no bread. Ask for them to go light on eggs or cheese if they're on the salad. Look out for high calorie toppings like nuts or dried fruits. Use salt and pepper instead of dressing. Get water. Drink water until your dinner comes. Pour yourself a glass of wine. Perhaps pre-measure some water into a wine glass at home so you'll have an idea of what 6 ounces looks like. I think 6 ounces of most wine is around 120 calories. Sip the wine with dinner, but mostly drink water. Then you'll (hopefully) have some leftover for after dinner to sip while you chat. If not, have another glass if you feel ok about it.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink sensibly, but don't worry too much if you go over tonight. It takes 3500 calories to add a single pound of fat and I suspect the chance of you going overboard by that much is fairly low. Try not to drink more than 2 glasses of wine (1 would be better) and order things that encourage you to eat slowly (so you can tell when you are full and stop then). Go with the intention of taking a doggy bag home. Also, don't weigh yourself for at least a couple days after - you'll probably add some water weight that will take a few days of "clean eating" to clear out.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Sip on some wine, then get something healthy for dinner, like steamed veggies and fish (not in butter!), or have a healthy appetizer for your dinner if they have one (i.e. smaller portion). If you have time, try to get in some exercise (walking?) or just plan to burn extra calories this weekend to make up for it. Don't freak out if you go over your calorie allotment for one day! You still have your life to live, right?

All of this! :wink:
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Look up the menu online to see if they have calories posted so you can pick something lower in calories... otherwise you can plan ahead and try to log the ingredients of a dish. Also, you can always try to eat only half of a meal. Unfortunately, most restaurant meals are around 1000 cals... but if you only have half that puts you around 500. If you stick with fish or chicken and steamed veggies (avoid breads, pastas, creams & potatoes) you should be lower.

If you don't have time for a real work out, you can always get in a quick burn with jumping jacks to burn a little extra before you go out, or talk a walk at lunch time.

As for drinks... a lambrusco is somewhat lower in cals usually around 98 cals a glass. And if you step away from wine, a vodka and diet tonic over ice can be under 60 cals

Also, as others have said... MFP calculates in a deficit so don't worry too much. Not every day can be perfect! Relax and anhoy a night out!! :drinker:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I would not encourage you to go over your calorie allotment (just for one day) because I don't know about you, but for me, if I have that attitude one day turns into a week. So some tips on trying to stay under tonight:

Get a workout in so that you can eat/drink more
    Check the website and plan your meal ahead of time (with wine added too) lol
    Stick to your plan
    Have fun! :)
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    according to getdrunknotfat.com , Carlo Rossi - White Zinfandel looks like the lowest cal option if you want wine. A spritzer, like another poster mentioned, is a good option.

I'd go for a very brisk walk right now if I were you and try to burns some cals so you can have some dinner with your wine!

Have a fun night! Don't stress: If you blow it one night of the week, you should still be on track. Just relax and be extra "good" for a few days after!
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from all! Before I go to a restaurant, I always go on the restaurant's web site and find 2-3 entrees that fit my needs. (If you like ahi tuna, that is usually one of the lowest calorie/highest protein bangs for the buck that I find, along with simply grilled chicken breast or fish). Many have sections that are listed as guiltless or lower calorie (of course they may be full of sodium, but that's another matter). That way, when you get there you have already narrowed your choices to the healthy options, but can still make a choice. Visualize how much of it you want to eat and either get a to-go box quickly or tell the waiter to clear your plate as soon as you finish so you don't graze. Eating out for me always used to mean splurge. Not anymore!
  • babams
    babams Posts: 15
    Options
    My job requires me to travel and eating out is the only option I have. I recently went to an indian restuarant. Prior to going I googled "how to eat healthy at an indian resturant". Was a huge help and I was able to pick options that were low(er) in fat and all around healthier. Good luck with not drinking wine. I personally cannot do it. :o)
  • rosie7693
    rosie7693 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I feel ten times better about eating out now just from reading all your advice. I'm going to make it a goal to leave food on the plate (doggy bags aren't big over in the UK sadly - whenever I ask it is met with bemusement!) and going to do for a fish option grilled with veg. Also I find it so hard to resist the bread and nibbles they put out sometimes, it's so tempting when you're ready for your dinner! Will try to just gulp the water and soldier on. Thanks so much everyone I love getting all these hints and tips!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    don't decide now that you will fail....instead decide you have a challenge & tackle it:) a tomatoe based or broth based soup and side salad? no worries....choose wisely & remember we all deserve to have less than perfect yummy days sometimes....
  • sahrajane5
    sahrajane5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I JUST ATE 5 SPECIAL K BARS OMG ROSIE WHY, get fish, fish is safe.

Wish we were going for dinner :(