New to running

Options
I have started the c25k and really love it. I have always been a walker but knew I needed to step it up to burn the calories. I have noticed that since I have starting running I am constantly hungry. That's a great thing because I know that means my metabolism is in high gear but on the other hand it gets annoying. I just can't seem to get satisfied staying within calorie limits. Anyone have any snack or meal advice?

Replies

• MNtwentysomething
    Options
    This isn't meal advice, but I also just got back into running and I have to recommend an app called RunKeeper. It's free and so incredibly helpful. It tracks miles, GPSes your route, your pace, etc. It even sends you reminders if you've missed a few days. I'm loving it and its definitely keeping me in track simply because its fun to see the progress as my miles increase! I wish there was some way to link it to fittnesspal so my calories burned would automatically input, but its not a huge deal to do it myself. Good luck!
  • roosterfish81
    roosterfish81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know it's not very creative or interesting, but raw veggies are pretty good.
    They take more effort to chew eat and keep you full for longer.
    Eggs are great too. Or a packet of oatmeal :)

if it makes you feel any better I struggle with the same thing. I am ALWAYS hungry LOL.
  • mhughes0430
    mhughes0430 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will have to check that app out. I always have trouble calculating calories burned because I don't want to over estimate but I don't want to short myself either. Good luck with your running!
  • mhughes0430
    Options
    I know it's not very creative or interesting, but raw veggies are pretty good.
    They take more effort to chew eat and keep you full for longer.
    Eggs are great too. Or a packet of oatmeal :)

if it makes you feel any better I struggle with the same thing. I am ALWAYS hungry LOL.

Good to know I'm not the only one! Eggs are definitely good... Lots of protein.
  • MNtwentysomething
    Options
    I also get extra hungry after running so I let myself have an extra snack. My hunger then evens out and overall it doesn't set me back. I just always want to make sure my body has enough to heal up after increasing mileage so I can keep going. I'm a big fan of eggs, carrots, apples in a small wheat pita with PB, and Kashi GoLean cereal
  • izzyl09
    izzyl09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 6 weeks ago and found the same... I get in home and am soooo hungry. A friend of mine has a trainer (I don't have the $$$ so I'm going for the DIY option! lol) but her trainer told her its really important to have a snack within 20-30mins of running. Something to do with your immune system dropping and muscles needing fuel (can anyone confirm or elaborate??).
    So I've been keeping a bowl of chopped fruit in the fridge then grabbing some of this with yoghurt when I get in. I also make up sugar free jello in small tubs so its nice to grab as a low cal snack and a change from always having to choose fruit/veggies! :)
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you need to estimate calorie burn you can go with 100 cal per mile.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    I use Nike+ run app on my phone to track my runs. If you have friends that run it creates a little competition to see who can run the most miles, fastest mile, etc. It also tracks your time/distance and tells you how many calories you burned based on your height/weight.

Snacks - veggies! baby carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, etc (low in calories)
  • sjenkin6
    sjenkin6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K challenge as well and noticed that I developed a bigger appetite. I curb it with raw veggies, or popcorn. Also, water, water and more water!
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Protein and carbs! Try a banana with peanut butter or a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter after your workout.
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Protein! It helps repair the muscles and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. The best options would probably be non-fat greek yoghurt, cottage cheese or milk for snacks or try and up the amount you have at each meal so you keep the hunger pangs at bay all through the day.
  • mhughes0430
    Options
    I just started running about 6 weeks ago and found the same... I get in home and am soooo hungry. A friend of mine has a trainer (I don't have the $$$ so I'm going for the DIY option! lol) but her trainer told her its really important to have a snack within 20-30mins of running. Something to do with your immune system dropping and muscles needing fuel (can anyone confirm or elaborate??).
    So I've been keeping a bowl of chopped fruit in the fridge then grabbing some of this with yoghurt when I get in. I also make up sugar free jello in small tubs so its nice to grab as a low cal snack and a change from always having to choose fruit/veggies! :)

I really like the idea of fruit and yogurt. I had a banana the last few days because normally I have to run in the afternoon after work so supper follows closely.
  • mhughes0430
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Good luck to you all with your running and weight loss!!
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I started a couple months ago, this was a problem for me as well. I have found eating small and healthy snacks such as almonds and dried fruit helps a lot with cravings. Dried cranberries really help when I am craving sweets. After a run, I will do 8oz of 1% milk with a scoop of protein powder, peanut butter on whole grain bread, or a can of plain tuna (sometimes on whole grain bread as well). I've also found it gets better as time goes on.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    your going to need more fuel so make sure you eating well if your got your diary set to 1 pound a week and eat back your cals you burn you will do great if you arent then your doing more damage than good and will eventually stop your weight loss dead in its tracks ( its happened to me)
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Noom Cardio Trainer is a fabulous app as well (its free) gives you lots of workout optionis to chose from, running, walking, kettlebells etc Good luck!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you do protein shakes, but I try to get one in after I get back to the house.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here on snacks. If you enjoy running and plan to stick with it the best investment I have made was my Garmin. Good luck with your 5K.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    it's hard to give you advice.....i can't see your diary!!!
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My go-to "fill me up" food is whole wheat pita bread.

There's a brand I prefer called "Best Pita" that is 80 calories per and has a boatload of fiber and good amount of protein in it.

I tend to snack on it and keep it in my laptop bag in case I get hungry at work.