What am I doing wrong?

Options
Okay, so I've been doing all this working out and running and eating right, but don't seam to be losing any weight or inches. Does anyone out there have any helpful ideas of what else I can try? I'm running roughly 5 miles a day, eatin 12-1500 calories a day, and lifting weights. nothing heavy, just light lifting. what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are you losing inches? How long have you been working out and eating right for?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Depends how long you have been at it and how much your exercise routine (increased) and eating (decreased) has changed. Could be water weight which happens to all of us when we start. Also - your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. While many people prefer to weigh daily - I believe weekly is good. Also weigh at the same time of the day - preferably when you wake in the morning! Good luck - hang on - it's coming!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake seems way too low for a 29 year male doing that much exercise. I can't see your diary and don't know how much you weigh but I'm pretty sure you need to eat more. Try upping your calories.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Are you getting proteins before and after workouts?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you arent eating enough, 1200 min is what your body needs, if you eat that, run and exercise you will be below that and can actually be starving your body and you wont lose weight
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is hard to believe that nothing has come off with all that running and lifting.
    First of all, if you are running 5 miles, unless you weigh 100lbs, you are probably not eating anywhere near the amount of calories you need to eat... 12 - 1500 calories is not enough. You need to plug your numbers into the calculator on this site and let it guide you as to what you should be eating. Then, when you run or lift, you should eat more to account for that. I don't hardly ever eat all my exercise calories, but I always try to eat at least half of them.
    Take a look at the posts that banks has provided on the message boards for newbies... that provides a nice guideline explained in simple terms.

Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster that that is not enough calories. 1200 is the minimum amount and I believe that is for women, men naturally have more muscle therefore need more calories, even at the same weight. Try increasing your minimum amount of calories to 1400 and eat your exercise calories. Try this for 3-4 weeks and you should see some changes.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing about your calorie intake. You are taking in, basically, what I take in and I am nowhere NEAR as active as you are. Plus, if you're a guy (and I assume by your user ID you are), men get way more calories to begin with. Re-check your goals and your activity levels.

You could be cheating yourself out of calories that you are allowed. Good Luck!:drinker:

Note: OK, after checking your profile to 'friend' you, I see that you are a guy. So eat more calorie!!
  • blbeane
    blbeane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It could also depend on where you are getting your calories from. Examples:

FF Cottage Cheese 80 cal or
    one deep fried buffalo wing 85 cal or
    1 oz Skittles 115 cal
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's counter-intuitive, but you need to eat more. Also, I bet part of it is putting on muscle from all that exercise. Raise your calories - I would say even up to 1600 or more. Then be patient. You could just be stuck at a plateau, it'll pass. Eventually your metabolism will increase enough from the added muscle to burn fat OFF faster than you're putting muscle ON.