Runners: Do you carb load pre-race?

Options
I am gearing up for my second half marathon Sunday and was just curious as to what everyone did pre-race. Do you guys carb up, and if so, what are some of your favs?

Replies

• bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm not terribly experienced at this, but before my last 10k race I had pasta the night before, and porridge the morning of the race. A friend who managed a brilliant time in last week's London marathon had rice and veggies the night before, and porridge for breakfast. I've read some places to keep the carbs to the white rice/ pasta/ bread variety so that they do not take too long to digest.

I'm doing my first half marathon in June - good luck for Sunday!
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    yes, I do, but not masses. I don't want to weigh a tonne before i start

before my most recent marathon i ate a portion of tortellini pasta with veg and a tiny bit of pesto. And a pud (greek yogurt and berries). That was the night before. I certainly don't worry about it too much before.
    On the morning of the race at 6am i had porride, then at 7.30 a banana, then at 8 a bit more porridge. Then at 9 I ran. This is the most I have ever eaten before a marathon but as I start to fade on the past few races I tried eating more this time.
    The result was I was faster than I have been in the last 3 years:drinker: :laugh:
  • JT_Taylor_99
    Options
    I am going to run my first 1/2 on 5 May. I plan on eating a boat load of pizza the day before. :o)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll eat some extra the night before my first 1/2. I'll plan on doing a slight carb load a few days before, nothing drastic. I try to eat as little as possible except for sports beans and coffee!

Or do it this way, with some Alfredo right before the race!
    carbo-loading.jpg

the_office_fun_run_l.jpg
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Or do it this way, with some Alfredo right before the race!
    carbo-loading.jpg

LOL!! I love that one!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't change my diet at all in the days before a half. On the night before my long runs I always include slow digesting carbs. A typical meal for me would be 4oz of meat, steamed broccoli, a mashed sweet potato and a plate of mixed greens. I faithfully eat that the night before my long runs including races and it completely works for me.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For a half, I'll load the day before with 3-4g of carbs per lb of weight, and about 100g a few hours before the run. Some would say that you will have enough fuel from regular eating without loading to do a half marathon, but I prefer to do it as it doesn't inhibit my run either way.
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    You may find this helpful...

"1 Eating
    You need to do some carbo loading in the days before your race, as this will give you handy glycogen stores to fuel your running on the day. DON’T make the mistake of simply eating a gigantic bowl of pasta the night before – this will do little more than make you feel heavy, bloated and blah.

Much better is to have carbs with each meal in the preceding days – cereal or porridge for breakfast, soup and salad with wholemeal bread for lunch, pasta or baked potato with steamed veg for dinner, that type of thing.

When the big day dawns, get up early and have breakfast between 2 and 3 hours before the start time. Toast and jam is the choice of most experienced runners – enough calories to fill you up, enough sugar to stop you feeling light-headed when you run. We’re big fans of porridge but we DO NOT recommend it on race day – in our experience, it sits like a rock in your belly until about 10 minutes before you cross the finish line. Absolutely horrid."
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k obstacle course race on saturday, and I had oatmeal for breakfast today, and I will have a quinoa stuffed pepper for lunch, and some pasta for supper (snack normally, no heavy greasy, super sugary stuff), and will have oatmeal, a bananna, and peanut butter tomorrow pre race... hope that helps!! (in other words, I am carb and protein loading)
  • shutupandmove257
    Options
    Not until I started to carbo load did I perform better. Pasta, rice, protein, get it done! :D It helps! :D
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You may find this helpful...

"1 Eating
    You need to do some carbo loading in the days before your race, as this will give you handy glycogen stores to fuel your running on the day. DON’T make the mistake of simply eating a gigantic bowl of pasta the night before – this will do little more than make you feel heavy, bloated and blah.

Much better is to have carbs with each meal in the preceding days – cereal or porridge for breakfast, soup and salad with wholemeal bread for lunch, pasta or baked potato with steamed veg for dinner, that type of thing.

When the big day dawns, get up early and have breakfast between 2 and 3 hours before the start time. Toast and jam is the choice of most experienced runners – enough calories to fill you up, enough sugar to stop you feeling light-headed when you run. We’re big fans of porridge but we DO NOT recommend it on race day – in our experience, it sits like a rock in your belly until about 10 minutes before you cross the finish line. Absolutely horrid."

This is good advice and from other articles I've read and issues I have during long runs, I cut back on the whole wheat and higher fiber foods right before.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't know all of the specifics, but I know my trainer has a peanut butter sandwich within the hour of starting her halfs. Personally, the thought of having to be so specific about the eating part is what turns me off from running distances. I'll stick to my measely 5ks.

Good luck with your race!!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes! It works for me at least. I usually eat a lot of carbs throughout the day the day before. I eat pasta (not too much) for dinner. For breakfast the day of I eat oatmeal, hard boil egg, a banana and maybe a couple of pieces of toast about 2-3 hours before race time. I also have about half a bottle of gatorade before.

As for after the race, I have a beer. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't do marathons or half marathons, but I do 5Ks and I've been a competitive sprinter for much of my earlier years. I always make sure I get plenty of carbs the day before...day before is always pretty carb heavy and usually involves some pizza and pasta which is always awesome. Before the race I usually just do some high carb fruit like a banana or something.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    For marathons I have an entire race week nutrition plan. For the first 72 hours, I go low carb and high protein. I reintroduce carbs after, and 'load' 2-3 days before. The day before I eat until I'm full but not stuffed. My usual pre-race dinner isn't heavy, something like grilled salmon with quinoa and a salad. Nothing too fiberous, nothing that will sit like a brick in my stomach, and nothing spicy. I will usually have a banana and oatmeal or toast with peanut butter an hour or two before a race.

For a half, I wouldn't do the full-week deal, maybe just carb up 2 days before and go with my normal race plan.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Second 1/2 is next week and yes I do. However anything under 10 miles, carbing up is totally unneccessary. I don't get too high but I up to 60% carbs starting 2 days prior. I eat my heaviest carb meal at lunch the day before the race as I don't want a heavy stomach close to bedtime. Prerace breakfast is my usual staple as I don't change that for anything.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The process of carb loading is to increase the glycogen stores to capacity. Unless you are going to be well over 2 hours running, you probably aren't going to come close to depleting your glycogen, so there is no need to try to pack it full with a specific carb loading plan. So for most people, it's not really necessary to do so for the HM distance or shorter.

That being said, I usually eat pasta the night before a race, but it's because I know how it's going to feel in my stomach. It's not a new thing. It's a known entity.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    That being said, I usually eat pasta the night before a race, but it's because I know how it's going to feel in my stomach. It's not a new thing. It's a known entity.
    I'm with Carson. Through trial and error, i've discovered simple noodles with sauce work best for me (have tried both lasagna and pizza and neither did me any favors). And no reason to "load". Just have a regular serving like you would any other pasta night.

I also make sure I meet my carb macros in 2-3 days ahead of time by adding a baked potato or something of that nature to my dinner.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am going to run my first 1/2 on 5 May. I plan on eating a boat load of pizza the day before. :o)

I so thought of this as I was paging through. Nice.

"I may have puked my guts out, but I never puked my heart out."