4 year plateau after losing 93 lbs. Advice?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going eating TDEE for two weeks to give yourself a break, then rotate doing a 10-15% cut for 4 weeks and then eat TDEE for a week and keep cycling. As you get closer to goal make your cut smaller. You want to lose fat not the precious muscle you have built. Small deficit with breaks will allow your metabolism to keep burning and once you get close to goal you can eat at maintenance without the fear of regaining.

She's been eating TDEE for four years.

She apparently refuses to tell us her actual calorie intake. There's not much we can do to help her besides say "eat less."
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

You're eating too much. Drop the calorie goal by 300 and hit it every single day.

*recalculate your TDEE and then subtract 300 calories or 20%

I've done this. Thanks. :) I will say, I did have success with TDEE -15%. I lost 6 of the 10 lbs I gained after my wedding with this method.. which actually had me eating MORE than before. I lost 6 lbs, then decided to "cut back" calories again.. ate less, worked out more.. and actually stalled. So I'll do this again. :)

Have you had your RMR tested? That will help you assess whether or not your TDEE calculation is correct if you're using a calculator to come up with it.

Also, do you have a fitbit or BodyMedia device that can confirm your TDEE? It's possible that your TDEE is not correct, so you're cutting starting from the wrong amount.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Four YEARS? :noway: Why did you wait until now to decide that something needs to change? That would drive me insane.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    that's not a plateau, that's maintenance.

the answer is simple...

if your logging is accurate, then your calorie goal is too high.
    if your logging is inaccurate, then log more accurately.

also, there is no such thing as a cheat day. if you deliberately choose not to log on those days, then you really aren't counting calories.
    ...aaaand

this.

This is far from the truth. You may not be losing weight because you calorie goal is to low. This exact thing happened to me as we have almost exactly the same amount lost. I have increased my calorie intake by around 1000 a day and the weight has started to come off again. I was eating 1200 a day which as I have learned is far far to low for me. Feel free to friend me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    This is far from the truth. You may not be losing weight because you calorie goal is to low. This exact thing happened to me as we have almost exactly the same amount lost. I have increased my calorie intake by around 1000 a day and the weight has started to come off again. I was eating 1200 a day which as I have learned is far far to low for me. Feel free to friend me.

This doesn't happen for four years. Period.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

sooooo... for Chrissakes, how can ONCE AGAIN calculating TDEE (even if it proves to be EXACTLY what she is currently eating) - 20% going to be detrimental?

What's the point? Using online calculators is a rough estimate. Her 4 years of actual practice is an accurate number. Sure, it's only going to take a moment to calculate, but if it doesn't match what she's been eating the last 4 years, she might consider over or undereating b/c the calculator said so.

Also, lay off the coffee or something. No need to get so worked up. Everyone here was calm and rational and you were spazzing out. :huh:

No one's spazzing out.

You know how people get sick of others asking the same questions over and over? Its not inconceivable that someone whose been on say... a three month plateau will read this and say "OH that guy who knows everything says that I should cut 300 calories, so that's what I'll do". It's telling people the LOGIC behind it, rather than just a thing to do. It's why MFP is better than weight watchers, because its TEACHING people how, rather than just telling them what to do.

Jeez.

it's pretty obvious you hate the idea of losing an "argument" on the internet

listen, your advice was very good
    the other advice was better because he is right. TDEE calculator is a very rough estimate, whereas 4 years of data is going to be far closer to accurate. recalculating your TDEE when you already know it (because they've been eating their maintenance/TDEE for 4 years) is only going to be confusing because it could conflict with the (correct) data they already have

you seem to be taking this personally.. remember, your advice is good for most situations, but this one is a bit exceptional
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Examine your sugar intake and how much you eat out of boxes or bags... I had the same problem for 2 years. What broke mine was clean eating.... or eating mostly whole foods (differnt than organic). Ask yourself... does this food occur naturally in nature? If not, maybe you should try an upgrade (cuz out processed crap)
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

ETA: The good news is that you've accomplished a great victory in the loss you've made so far. The fact that you've maintained for so long means that you can be successful at keeping it off for good. Be proud. You can either maintain weight and focus on working on body composition, or you can create a calorie deficit and lose some more. Either option sounds reasonable to me! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I agree with this...great progress so far and the fact you kept off almost 100 lbs for this long is great!! Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best for continued success! :happy:
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

You're eating too much. Drop the calorie goal by 300 and hit it every single day.

*recalculate your TDEE and then subtract 300 calories or 20%
    okay, but there was a while where I was eating 900 calories and not losing... guess what? When I recalculated, I realized the TDEE I SHOULD have was around 2100, so I ate 1800, took a week or two of gaining slightly and then started losing again. So no, she shouldn't necessarily just cut 300 from what she IS eating (as aforementioned, I don't know what she is eating because her diary is private). She may be eating too little for all we know, so calm yo'self.

If she had been eating 900 calories for 4 years, she would have been losing weight.

Right. I guess I shouldn't be telling her to recalculate things, analyze things logically, just keep cutting back. Glad that trend is coming back. Works SO well.

...anyhow, if her LBM is good and she looks good (she does in her photos) then I'm not sure its necessary to lose more, but if she feels it is, let her recalculate, if her deficit is already too big and that' the source of the issue, recalculating will fix it. If she recalculates and finds that she should be eating less than she already is, that will reaffirm what you're saying, but what's the harm in that? Oh no, she may have spent a few moments thinking about it rather than blindly accepting advice to continue cutting calories! the humanity!

i don't think you understand what TDEE means. if she's been eating at a certain calorie level for 4 years and her weight hasn't really changed, that is her TDEE. by definition.

Everyone is arguing about how many calories I may or may not eat, etc. So maybe this will help, maybe not, but the fact is that I have not eaten the same amount of calories in the past 4 years. My exercise has also not been the same. I HAVE increased my exercise in the past month. In the past 4 years I've lowered calories, increased calories, less cardio, more cardio, HIIT, increased my weight lifting, started running this year, changed my macros, etc. I've done lots of different things in the past 4 years. I don't remember a time when I've been doing the exact same thing without trying to keep switching things up from time to time. So really, there's no "data" to look at really, unless I had been doing the exact same thing for the past 4 years consistently.

My TDEE is supposed to be 2450 (according to equations). Here's how I got that number: I calculated it on the low side by saying I'm sedentary when calculating when I'm not (I have a lightly active job, plus workout 5x per week), which gave me 2070. Then I added in my lowest amount of calories I can guarantee to burn weekly (2500), divided by 7 days =2450. Anything I burn ABOVE 2500 in a week is all extra deficit. I'm always sure to meet my weekly 2500 calories burned 90% of the time, and if I don't, I eat less.

Anyways.. I have all my daily workouts logged with my average weekly calories burned for the past 4 weeks since increasing my workouts. (Average weekly calorie burn has been 2800-3600 since taking up Les Mills Combat classes in addition to my usual workouts 4 weeks ago.). I wear a heart rate monitor to track my workout calorie burns to help with accuracy.

I stopped doing the TDEE way for a while and used MFP method of eating LESS on rest days, then eating back exercise calories on workout days. With this method recently, The target set was 1570 NET calories. For example. Rest day, I'd aim for 1570 according to MFP. On a typical workout day with lifting + running or lifting + Combat + yoga, I'd be burning 800-900 calories. I'd eat some of those back, or all, depending how I felt. Even with 2300 on an intense workout day, I was netting around 1500 still..?

Today I switched my calorie goal to 2000 daily. It's my TDEE- 20% (note that I have NOT been eating at my TDEE for 4 years as I saw posted considering I have not CONSISTENTLY been eating the same amount for 4 years. I did 1200 calories for about 3 months and only lost 2 lbs, and was lethargic and irritable all the time- no good.) 2000 a day may sound like a lot, but when I'm working out this much, anything less seems to affect my endurance and energy in the gym terribly.

I am definitely NOT eating at or above supposed TDEE (2450), except for maybe once every couple weeks when I "cheat." And to the people mentioning this being a terrible thing.. I know. I do not have planned cheat days, and it's not every week. I'm not perfect obviously (I was 93 lbs heavier for a reason), and have moments of weakness once in a while. I'm not a person who just decides to splurge every week intentionally. I'm still working on this because I know it's NOT helping me reach my goals. I am already actively trying to cut this out completely.
  • LoseYouself
    Options
    I would suggest going eating TDEE for two weeks to give yourself a break, then rotate doing a 10-15% cut for 4 weeks and then eat TDEE for a week and keep cycling. As you get closer to goal make your cut smaller. You want to lose fat not the precious muscle you have built. Small deficit with breaks will allow your metabolism to keep burning and once you get close to goal you can eat at maintenance without the fear of regaining.

She's been eating TDEE for four years.

She apparently refuses to tell us her actual calorie intake. There's not much we can do to help her besides say "eat less."

Who is refusing? I JUST checked this thread for the first time since yesterday and had 3 pages to catch up on. I just wrote a long post stating every detail. I can't instant reply to everyone.
  • LoseYouself
    Options
    Four YEARS? :noway: Why did you wait until now to decide that something needs to change? That would drive me insane.

LOL! :) I didn't JUST decide to change things. It's just the first time I've POSTED about it. haha. I've changed up many things in the past few years. If anything my whole lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness has drastically improved. I've had small losses (I had gained 10 lbs back after my wedding and lost that). I just have not done the exact same thing for the past 4 years. I'd be insane.

At the same time, I'm just happy that I've changed my lifestyle in a way that maintenance is something I can do for the rest of my life. Learning to maintain is almost as important as losing the weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1) Should I focus on a period of maintenance since I've never done this? Is 5 years with no maintenance break actually hindering me? I've done caloric increases, but not full maintenance.

I don't understand this question. From your OP it sounds like maintenance is exactly what you've been doing. Maintenance means maintaining your weight over a period of time, despite the calories any calculator might return for you.

It sounds to me like you need to eat less. Either by cutting out or down on the binges, or cutting your other day calories. To lose weight you must create a deficit. It would seem you are not doing that.
  • LoseYouself
    Options
    Examine your sugar intake and how much you eat out of boxes or bags... I had the same problem for 2 years. What broke mine was clean eating.... or eating mostly whole foods (differnt than organic). Ask yourself... does this food occur naturally in nature? If not, maybe you should try an upgrade (cuz out processed crap)

I eat a whole foods plant-based diet. I eat clean about 80% of the time. 100% would be much more helpful, haha.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

LOL! :) I didn't JUST decide to change things. It's just the first time I've POSTED about it. haha. I've changed up many things in the past few years. If anything my whole lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness has drastically improved. I've had small losses (I had gained 10 lbs back after my wedding and lost that). I just have not done the exact same thing for the past 4 years. I'd be insane.

At the same time, I'm just happy that I've changed my lifestyle in a way that maintenance is something I can do for the rest of my life. Learning to maintain is almost as important as losing the weight.

Whatever you decide, Good for you for sticking it out and for losing all that weight to begin with. I had a similar problem prior to getting pregnant, and I can totally relate.
    I also would like to add that HRm are not 100% accurate, and it sounds like you are very active, so you may have adapted to all that exercise....

Good luck! and keep up the good work!
  • LoseYouself
    Options
    1) Should I focus on a period of maintenance since I've never done this? Is 5 years with no maintenance break actually hindering me? I've done caloric increases, but not full maintenance.

I don't understand this question. From your OP it sounds like maintenance is exactly what you've been doing. Maintenance means maintaining your weight over a period of time, despite the calories any calculator might return for you.

It sounds to me like you need to eat less. Either by cutting out or down on the binges, or cutting your other day calories. To lose weight you must create a deficit. It would seem you are not doing that.

First, I'm not sure how a cheat day and binging can even be considered the same thing. Please look up the definition of a binge. It's definitely not that. By cheat day, I mean going over my calories by a reasonable amount.. not non-stop pigging out. It's also not frequent.. maybe once every couple weeks at most. I know cheat days are obviously a part of the problem, but it's hardly a binge or a huge surplus.

I havent consistently been eating the same amount for 4 years, because I try different amounts, increase exercise, decrease calories, change up workouts, etc.. but always under what is supposed to be my maintenance amount according my my BMR, etc. I did 1200 calories for about 3 months and only lost 2 lbs, and was lethargic and irritable all the time- no good. So because I only lost 2 lbs in 3 months, that means I'm eating at maintenance? No, not necessarily. It may have worked if I did that long term, but I did not feel well, and hardly had energy to workout any more. My physical well-being at that point was more important. Slight increase in calories, and I was back to my normal energetic self.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I havent consistently been eating the same amount for 4 years, because I try different amounts, increase exercise, decrease calories, change up workouts, etc.. but always under what is supposed to be my maintenance amount according my my BMR, etc. I did 1200 calories for about 3 months and only lost 2 lbs, and was lethargic and irritable all the time- no good. So because I only lost 2 lbs in 3 months, that means I'm eating at maintenance? No, not necessarily. It may have worked if I did that long term, but I did not feel well, and hardly had energy to workout any more. My physical well-being at that point was more important. Slight increase in calories, and I was back to my normal energetic self.

Energy levels and online calculators have nothing to do with mainteance. In your OP you said:

"I cannot seem to get below 200 lbs. Every time I get close, I get stuck between 199-202. I've only ever seen 199 once .. 2 years ago. Currently stuck at 203"

Unless I misunderstand that means that you have not gained or lost weight over a period of time. That is what maintenance means.
  • LoseYouself
    Options

Energy levels and online calculators have nothing to do with mainteance. In your OP you said:

"I cannot seem to get below 200 lbs. Every time I get close, I get stuck between 199-202. I've only ever seen 199 once .. 2 years ago. Currently stuck at 203"

Unless I misunderstand that means that you have not gained or lost weight over a period of time. That is what maintenance means.

Yes, but I basically maintained at 1200 for those 3 months, and I've maintained at 2000+ lately. Technically both should not produce the same result.. but it has, and that is why I posted here. I've also recently increased my workouts/calorie output significantly, with no change (yet).

Also, I said I've been the same weight within a 10 pound range. Meaning, after my wedding I had gained 10 lbs back from my pre-wedding weight over time from working out less, and being less mindful of food. That was over a year ago. I lost most of that 10 lbs when I increased my calories from 1200 up to 2100 months ago.. but then plateaued again after a while. That is why I increased my workouts 4 weeks ago. I realize I need either less calories in, or more output.

The problem here is I plateaued again at this same weight that I plateaued at in the past, regardless of what I seem to do.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options

sooooo... for Chrissakes, how can ONCE AGAIN calculating TDEE (even if it proves to be EXACTLY what she is currently eating) - 20% going to be detrimental?

What's the point? Using online calculators is a rough estimate. Her 4 years of actual practice is an accurate number. Sure, it's only going to take a moment to calculate, but if it doesn't match what she's been eating the last 4 years, she might consider over or undereating b/c the calculator said so.

Also, lay off the coffee or something. No need to get so worked up. Everyone here was calm and rational and you were spazzing out. :huh:

No one's spazzing out.

You know how people get sick of others asking the same questions over and over? Its not inconceivable that someone whose been on say... a three month plateau will read this and say "OH that guy who knows everything says that I should cut 300 calories, so that's what I'll do". It's telling people the LOGIC behind it, rather than just a thing to do. It's why MFP is better than weight watchers, because its TEACHING people how, rather than just telling them what to do.

Jeez.

the other advice was better because he is right. TDEE calculator is a very rough estimate, whereas 4 years of data is going to be far closer to accurate. recalculating your TDEE when you already know it (because they've been eating their maintenance/TDEE for 4 years) is only going to be confusing because it could conflict with the (correct) data they already have

you seem to be taking this personally.. remember, your advice is good for most situations, but this one is a bit exceptional

I was pointing out that he and I were essentially agreeing, the only difference is that I was explaining the rationale behind it and he was just giving an unexplained instruction. It now looks like OP is well-versed in this stuff, so it was unnecessary, but I don't think I'm "wrong" for insisting someone know the logic behind WHY they're cutting a specific amount of calories than just doing it. I'm not taking it personally, I just think its stupid to tell someone an instruction with no rationale.
  • asayadi
    asayadi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier, do more compounds exercises and increase your protein?

Didn't read the rest of the forum so sorry if someone has already mentioned this.
  • jonnythan
    Options

No one's spazzing out.

Jeez.

I was pointing out that he and I were essentially agreeing, the only difference is that I was explaining the rationale behind it and he was just giving an unexplained instruction. It now looks like OP is well-versed in this stuff, so it was unnecessary, but I don't think I'm "wrong" for insisting someone know the logic behind WHY they're cutting a specific amount of calories than just doing it. I'm not taking it personally, I just think its stupid to tell someone an instruction with no rationale.

The "why" isn't "use a TDEE calculator online." The "why" is "you are currently eating the same number of calories you expend in a given day."