Why so little sugar allowed??

Options
annasor70
annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
So after my morning healthy shake (of organic berries, fresh pressed apple, ginger and pear juice, vegan protein powder, kale and flax seed) and two hours of ballet and a cross country hike followed by a healthy sandwich (with tomato, vegan cheese and an apple and one teensy square of raw vegan chcolate), I am over my sugar intake by 11 g
How does this make sense??? Is the sugar allowance on here particularly low?
I am not eating ANY processed sugar at all and the nutritionists I follow and respect talk about fruit being good for you! The one apple put me over a lot!!!
Otherwise, I usually find it hard to make my calories. To be honest I don't have much weight if any to lose( I am about 130 lbs and 5 foot 6), I am working on toning and tightening....but I am confused by the sugar issue on here!

Replies

• Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree. The sugar issue is confusing.

However, I dont count fruits as sugar, per se. The fibre in the fruit slows down absorption and will not spike blood sugars.
    I eat lots of carrots and they too are loaded with natural sugars, but they have no effect on my weight loss.

I avoid, like plague, any refined sugars - even to the extent that I will not have any processed sugars in my house (my hubby is diabetic, so its no big deal to him). I use agave, fruit sugars and steevia for cooking and occasionally, Mankuna honey.

So I don;t see the need for concern. Your diet is good as far as most of the nutrients are concerned. I'd go ahead with the fruit - you're really not doing any harm IMHO.
  • annasor70
    Options
    Thanks..I thought so...it's weird that they would treat fruit with all its goodness on here the same same as processed bleached, poisonous sugar!!!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I have lost 17 pounds so far and I havent been under on sugar a single day its nearly impossible, its like 1 banana and your over. I try to keep it as low as I can but I dont stress over it, its the salt you need to watch out for. I read an article last week that for ever 2000mg of salt your body retains 4lbs in water weight....so if you go over you can imagine...That said the same article said that for every 2000mg of salt you have you should drink at least 2L of water to flush it out. That can add up real quick if your not careful
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I changed it so that I see my sodium and Vitamin C intake, instead of sugar. I eat very little refined sugar, so I don't particularly care about that number. But I do want to make sure I'm eating plenty of fruits and veggies, and that I'm over the RDA for Vitamin C every day.
  • annasor70
    Options
    How do you change it so you see VIT C instead?
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How do you change it so you see VIT C instead?

Go to Food --- Settings and under "nutrients tracked" pull down the menu that lists "sugar" and select Vitamin C instead.

Hope that helps! :)
  • annasor70
    Options
    Thanks! Did it! Now I am way over with my Vit C..LOL..as if that was a bad thing! ;)
    Love the name hunryhobbit btw! :)
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Although I input all my food, in terms of the sugar limit--I eat an apple and some blueberries almost every day, that pushes me over daily. I don't "count" my two servings of food towards the sugar, even though I input them. Does that make sense?

I believe that Quality of Calories is very important---there are too many important vitamins and other benefits from fruit to not eat them.

I wish MFP would put fruit in a separate section.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The sugar always bothered me too,so I hid them.
  • karisul1
    karisul1 Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow! That is an interesting article! It explains why I had Olive Garden soup and salad last night (went over sodium by 1190) and I weighed 3lbs more this morning than last!! :cry:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The sugar limit is based on recommendations for ADDED sugars, but MFP doesn't distinguish between natural and added sugars and counts ALL sugars. I agree with not tracking it.
  • Olguitabonita
    Olguitabonita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pff... I am so glad! I cannot even imagine my life without fruit!!!! That sugar thing is such a turn off! Ty for comments on Sodium! That's EVIL!