Picky eater help

Options
Ok, Ladies, I really really need some help. I just joined this community and am hoping that I can get some ideas and tips. I am a vegetable hater! I am not sure about how to eat healthy that doesn't include eating lots of veggies. Help?

Replies

• redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    Start with drinking v8 fusion juice. It has a full serving of veggie's in it but tasts like fruit juice. My favorite is the Strawberry Banana flavor. This will get you at least on veggie serving a day while you attempt to find a veggie recepie that you can tolerate.

Look for recepies online try one new veggie recepie a week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can't eat healthy if you don't include vegetables, they are the single most important type of food, for weight loss and overall health. "Fruits and vegetables should make up a large portion of your diet. They are low in calories, which is good, and they are high in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and fiber, which is even better. Experts suggest that you eat five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables every day."

Try mixing them in meatloaf and pasta sauce just cut them extremely small. You can boil squash or sweet potato and mash it up and add it to mac and cheese.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Probably isn't what you want to hear, but you'll have to learn to eat veggies to really eat healthy. I used to dislike most veggies, but I made myself try new ones and I am much better now about eating them. A few things I love: Spaghetti squash - use it as a replacement for spaghetti - it has a super mild flavor that you can't taste when you add spaghetti sauce on it. Mashed cauliflower - some people combine it with mashed potatoes (half and half) to make a healthy mashed potato dish. Cucumber & Tomato salad (really I love cucumbers about any way). Jicama - a root veggie that's high in fiber and very low in calories - great in salads, very mild flavor. I mix beans and other yummy (but healthy) things with my salads to spice them up. You can also blend spinach in with fruit smoothies - you can't taste the spinach but it adds extra vitamins and veggie goodness. I also add spinach in with my scrambled eggs.

There are TONS of great veggies out there, especially if you prepare them well, so I'd just recommend you not be afraid to experiment, and like redbedhead suggested, try something new every week.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There are things that i eat that frankly I don't like but I eat them because they are good for me.....Try putting veggies in spighetti sauce or in meat loaf.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am too harsh but I don't really think there is any way of 'eating healthily' without eating lots of veggies. Sure, you could still eat to lose weight without them but that isn't the same thing.

Are you sure there are none that you like? Perhaps you like them more crunchy/raw, softer, cooked but not too hard, grated or chopped small and combined within whatever dish you are making. There is just such a variety of tastes and textures when it comes to veg, I don't understand how anyone could not like any of them! But then, I'm a veggie lover... just my opinion :flowerforyou:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    favorite subject ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! check out my blog and/or message me for recipes!! i'm a veggie hater also and i feel your pain! :)

edit: and you can see for yourself by checking out my ticker that i'm obviously doing SOMETHING right... so.... :flowerforyou:
  • Shawna_831
    Shawna_831 Posts: 316
    Options
    I hated veggies too and I'm still not a huge fan. I get my veggies by adding them into things like pasta, rice dishes ect. I use to add tons of butter and salt to help mask the flavor but now I'm actually starting to enjoy them. Less butter and salt now. Also, cooked veggies are always better tasting for me. V8 fusions are awesome too! Taste like fruit not veggies. You'll get there just take your time and make sure you are attempting it everyday.
  • kss0269
    kss0269 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much EVERYONE! Wow! That was some fast responses!

So, say if I mix veggies in with stuff, they don't loose their "healthy" qualities? I always thought you had to eat them raw or almost raw for them to be healthy. I can do the meatloaf thing (I always use the very lean meat). I can do the spaghetti sauce thing. And, I can do the mashed potatoes thing. So, maybe there is hope for me after all!!

Thank you so much again!!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'm not realy fond of veggies either. I do love fruit however. I will eat cooked corn, green beans, and spinach. I do like a lot more of them raw and I love lettuce. However, I don't eat many veggies at all. I should probly. Miko412 - I'm going to check out your blog.

I haven't really focused on eating more veggies, but I think I might start doing that.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much EVERYONE! Wow! That was some fast responses!

So, say if I mix veggies in with stuff, they don't loose their "healthy" qualities? I always thought you had to eat them raw or almost raw for them to be healthy. I can do the meatloaf thing (I always use the very lean meat). I can do the spaghetti sauce thing. And, I can do the mashed potatoes thing. So, maybe there is hope for me after all!!

Thank you so much again!!!

Absolutely! The raw veg thing is a bit of a myth. If you overcook them (and I mean really overcook) in water and then drain off the water then you will lose some nutrition but if you don't overcook them, or if you eat whatever comes out of them (ie water in soup, sauce in a stirfry etc) then you won't lose any of the nutrition. In some cases, e.g. broccoli, you actually absorb more of the vitamins by cooking the food.