Has anyone "transformed" their body WITHOUT lifting heavy?

Options

Replies

• rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Here's some advice from a broke post-college student who never joined a gym:

Good advice. There's always DIY / cheap ways to make expensive things. Like there's squat rack using saw horses http://www.ehow.com/how_10055870_use-saw-horses-squat-racks.html

Also buying used on craigslist could save you a lot of money - often cheaper than cost of materials making something yourself; you just need to be willing to wait for a good deal to come by
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    would anyone else like to share their experiences :)?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do not understimate the use of body weight only exercises for building strength & muscle.

People have already pointed out nerdfitness.com & you are your own gym. You can go as far as you want and may never run out of bodyweight exercises. There is always a way to make them more difficult.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Loved this tread. Revival time.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have been lifting more lately because 1) my goals have changed and 2) I have the resources, but I've been shredded using nothing more than consistent body weight exercises (and the use of a sandbag -- priceless!) You don't need weights if you don't have them. There are so many body weight exercises that can shred you if done correctly.

Also, please keep in mind that not everyone has the same fitness goals, so people who lift heavy (while it is certainly good for your physique) may not be trying to accomplish the same things you are. They are going to try to sell you their fitness plan like its the only way -- runners, cyclists, P90x-ers, Crossfit-ers, and anyone else who has found success in their program -- will too, but every body is different, and we are all trying to accomplish different things.

Jillian Micheals DVD's usually have a lot of body weight exercises, but do a little research on your own and supplement if you are really trying to increase strength.

Good luck!

I want to make my own sandbag. That just sounds so freakin' awesome, and I've seen them used on youtube. GRRRRrrrrrr.
  • Kimi903
    Kimi903 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh yes! Claudia Schiffer also has body shaping dvd's that are great! It takes a little time unless you have a couple hours per day, but cardio plus dvd's work.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As several folks have already mentioned, check out You Are Your Own Gym. He has a great app that allows you to pick your fitness level and choose the amount of time you have to workout. Once you enter that info, a timed workout starts (including rest periods). You can also create and save your favorite workouts. Good luck!
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump. Very interesting. Thank you.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    bump, because I am starting to explore lifting as an option for me :)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Jen, I also have only done JM DVD"s and am in the middle of Month 2 of Insanity right now. I can't see your diary, so don't know where you're protein levels are but I nearly doubled my intake (from 60 grams to about 105-120 daily) about 5 weeks ago (as recommended by the Insanity nutriition guide). I don't know if it was the increased protein (and calories were upped) or Insanity, or just the natural progression of working out for 8 months straight, but my muscles ARE bigger. Don't know if I did another round of Body Revolution and stayed at 60 grams of protein if they would have still been bigger or not. Guess I'll never know, but perhaps look into your protein levels?
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump...interesting...
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    You are your own gym...ive done it with great results losing around 30kg in, I think 12 months.

Around 10 years ago i was living out in the middle of nowhere (almost)

I left the city for the 'farm life' leaving behind my Jujitsu Classes, Weekend Mountain Bike Weekends, and 6 Day Gym sessions.

I was fit, but not real big.

In the first few years i gained a ton of weight, and became very weak. So i brought some Dumbbells and began weight training at home.

I was doing pushups + up to 100 decline pushups, chair dips, and dumbbells.

After say 2 months, id maxed out the weights, i was doing way too many pushups, and things weren't going anywehere.

So i grabbed my kids and began lifting them lol. They loved it. Then even they became too light.

I got to the point i was doing pushups with my kids on my back and bench presses, on the floor, holding an ironing board with my wife in top of that.

Got big real fast.

My point is, you dont really need a Gym. I gained more muscle back then, than what i do now paying for a gym membership. (Im probably a lot lazier now than i was back then)

I look back now tho, and think to myself, 'back when i didnt have anything, i used what i could and just made it happen'

It can be done.

My problem is i fell sick and ended up in hospital for a very long time, eventually coming out but never going back to the weights.

This is why im here starting all over again.

Sorry for the long story :P
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and sorry to hear about your stay in hospital.

Totally agree with your approach to bodyweight exercising. There is no comparison between doing Donkey Calf Raises with your wife sitting astride your hips compared to being stuck under a Cafl Raise machine staring at the wall!

Welcome back!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and sorry to hear about your stay in hospital.

Totally agree with your approach to bodyweight exercising. There is no comparison between doing Donkey Calf Raises with your wife sitting astride your hips compared to being stuck under a Cafl Raise machine staring at the wall!

Welcome back!

^^^ This was cracking me up! I don't have any person on top of me while doing exercises (poor me) but sometimes when planking, my mischievous kitten will jump up on my back. It's hilarious and fun!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    would anyone else like to share their experiences :)?

I've done heavy lifting when I've had gym access, pure bodyweight exercises and a mix of the two. I get more of a "buzz" from heavy lifting, which I can't really explain, and strength gains feel more measurable, so I like that aspect. But bodyweight exercises were much easier to incorporate into my weekly routine, and obviously, great when I wasn't going to the gym. When I was doing a bodyweight programme, I finally managed to do full pushups, as an obese, middle-aged woman. That felt like a great achievement for me.

Several people have recommended You Are Your Own Gym, but I actually preferred Body By You by the same author (Mark Lauren) and that was the programme I used. I would recommend it. It felt simpler than YAYOG: basically, full body exercises three times a week. You do the same exercises, but increase the difficulty in small increments as you get stronger. It was hard work, but only takes about 20 minutes.

However, I can't really talk about "transforming" my body. I seem to be managing to maintain LBM, which was my aim, but I don't know how much of my change in looks is down to either the bodyweight exercises or the lifting. Most of it is probably down to weight loss.

And to confuse things, I also do ballet, which DID change my body when I was younger, so I don't know if any of the changes are due to ballet rather than the other two things. Actually, having said that, ballet is almost ALL bodyweight exercises. So there you go - I did transform my body without a gym, during purely bodyweight exercises. Maybe "transform" is too strong, but there was a noticeable difference in terms of muscle size and definition.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Hellzyeah! The overwhelming group think here is if you don't lift heavy, you're a moron who worries unnecessarily that she'll get bulky and/or that you're destined to be a mass of jelly if you're not pushing out a loaf at the gym while squatting heavy heavy heavy.

I lost my weight a few years back with Jillian Michaels dvds which is suppose to be all wrong :laugh: even though I looked and felt great. I tried upping to heavy weights this year because I bought into all the hype. I was injured within a week which set me back months. So while it works great for many, it may just not be the end all be all for some. Don't let anyone tell you that's what you have to do. :drinker:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    As others have said, "lifting heavy" is relative.

If you want to lift heavy using just your body, it can easily be done - I think one of the best bodyweight progressions is to be found in "Convict Conditioning". Ignore all the macho prisoner story stuff if you like and just look at the progressions. They go from exercises my granny could do all the way to one arm handstand pushups.

Edited to add: if you google it, one of the first hits is a download of the entire book.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I tried upping to heavy weights this year because I bought into all the hype. I was injured within a week which set me back months. So while it works great for many, it may just not be the end all be all for some. Don't let anyone tell you that's what you have to do. :drinker:

Just cos you injured yourself, doesn't mean the form of excercise is invalid. :tongue:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hellzyeah! The overwhelming group think here is if you don't lift heavy, you're a moron who worries unnecessarily that she'll get bulky and/or that you're destined to be a mass of jelly if you're not pushing out a loaf at the gym while squatting heavy heavy heavy.

I lost my weight a few years back with Jillian Michaels dvds which is suppose to be all wrong :laugh: even though I looked and felt great. I tried upping to heavy weights this year because I bought into all the hype. I was injured within a week which set me back months. So while it works great for many, it may just not be the end all be all for some. Don't let anyone tell you that's what you have to do. :drinker:

What if I told you I do Jillian dvds and lift heavy? Mind, blown?

And injuring yourself is a totally separate issue from Heavy Lifting and certainly doesn't reflect upon it's effectiveness or usefulness in the least. It just means you got hurt.

OP: When I was in the military I didn't lift heavy. I ran, I did body weight stuff, and I swam. I looked good and felt good; I'm lifting now and I feel amazing. I'm sure I'll look amazing at some future point (Though certainly I'm always 'looking good'.) Everyone's ideal is different and so you should work towards what you yourself are looking for, not what anyone else is looking for.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump