To those that take FISH OIL. please read.

Options
What are the benefits of fish oil supplements and what kind of fish oil/brand do you take? I've heard people losing weight take fish oil but not sure what you can benefit off it as far as trying to lose weight/eat healthy & exercise.

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    http://www.xtend-life.com/product/Omega_3_DHA_Fish_Oil/Buyers_Guide.aspx?gclid=CKS548ng868CFYeo4AodehfvXA

That is just one of the many sites you will find with information on the benefits of fish oil and Omega 3. I am not sure that it matters what brand you buy as long as they are from a reputable manufacturer - I purchased the ones I am currently taking at GNC because they were buy one/get one free and triple strength. Next ones I buy will probably come from my local CVS unless I can find a good sale somewhere else. Can't say that I have noticed anything different since I started taking them about 3 months ago but my doctor was pleased with the decision and since I don't eat enough fish on a regular basis I figure it is best to keep taking them.....
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is supposed to be good for your heart. So since the only fish that I eat is in the form of fishsticks... thought that I better take something. I just use Spring Valley which I got from Wal-Mart.

There was some article in Womens World about how taking fish oil helps you lose weight but I don't think that it is really helping in that sense. I started taking that 2 weeks before I started tracking calories and the scale didn't change.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am looking into purchasing some, here is an online article about the benefits...

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/864/Lose_Weight_For_Summer_Top_Five_Supplementation_Ti.aspx.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is supposed to be good for your heart. So since the only fish that I eat is in the form of fishsticks... thought that I better take something. I just use Spring Valley which I got from Wal-Mart.

There was some article in Womens World about how taking fish oil helps you lose weight but I don't think that it is really helping in that sense. I started taking that 2 weeks before I started tracking calories and the scale didn't change.

It's not a magic pill. It's not going to help you lose weight. But it will help you regulate it and also get all the nutrition you need. It's also good for skin and nails and hair.

Many people who diet try to avoid fat. I know I don't have much in my diet at all. But our bodies need fat - the good kind. The pill is an easy way to make sure you get what you need. but it's no better or worse for you than using olive oil to cook or eating plenty of fish and nuts.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what science says it's supposed to do but when I take it I don't have joint pain. I just ran out of fish oil the other day and won't be getting more until the end of the week so I'm wondering if any joint pain/swelling is going to come back by then.
  • nadohs
    nadohs Posts: 7
    Options
    After a lot of research and trial and error (from GNC to LifeExtension brands) I take fish oil from Xtend-life.They use Hoki tuna with no fishy aftertaste and they have the highest ratio of DHA to EPA that I have found out there. It has 600mg of DHA per 2000mg dosage. "DHA is taken up by the brain more readily than any other fatty acid.

Other omega-3 fatty acids follow DHA in order of complexity, number of carbon chain bonds and overall efficacy for your body. They are:

EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) has 20 carbon bonds. It is difficult for the body to convert EPA to DHA because it has to add two carbon bonds. On the other hand the body only has to 'drop off' two carbon bonds from DHA to create EPA.
    ALA (alpha linolenic acid) - commonly found in flaxseed oil, this omega-3 fatty acid only has 18 carbon bonds, making it almost impossible for the body to manufacture DHA from."

Most fish oil is inferior because it has a high EPA to low DPA ratio.

In addition, I use the fish oil that contains CoQ10, "BUT not the ordinary CoQ10 that you are no doubt familiar with! It is a special type of CoQ10 called Ubiqui(nol) from Kaneka in Japan who were the original developers of CoQ10. The type of CoQ10 found in most fish oil supplements which has been around for years is called Ubiqui(none) - oxidized CoQ10. But, if you are over 40 years of age you need to take very large doses to get the potential benefits and even then the results cannot be guaranteed. This is because your body has to convert the Ubiquinone to Ubiquinol for it to ‘work its magic’ and if you are over 40 the ‘conversion’ is not very effective…as a result you do not get the full benefits of CoQ10." You don't need to take this version of the fish oil capsules, but if you want to take CoQ10, then this is the most cost effective way I have found to take it.

I highly recommend these fish oil capsules.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My nails have never been so long and strong than since I started taking them.

Also, it balances out my diet.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    This is a really informative post about essential fatty acids.

http://www.benbest.com/health/essfat.html
  • angelrosado
    angelrosado Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Intrigued in this post...I am not sure if I can take them as I have a slight allergy to shellfish...anyone know about this?
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I actually just swallowed my two fish oil pills for the day. :happy:

The brand I have now is Sundown (I got them at CVS).

I began taking them mostly for my skin (I heard it can help with dryness and eczema), but have read more and more good things about them (i.e. reduce inflammation, heathy heart, etc).

I've been taking them for a couple months, at least a few times a week, though I try to remember them daily.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Intrigued in this post...I am not sure if I can take them as I have a slight allergy to shellfish...anyone know about this?

The bottle will tell you what kind of fish is included in the pills.

My husband is allergic to shrimp and lobster and he's taken fish oil pills without a reaction.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It's not a magic pill. It's not going to help you lose weight. But it will help you regulate it and also get all the nutrition you need. It's also good for skin and nails and hair.

Many people who diet try to avoid fat. I know I don't have much in my diet at all. But our bodies need fat - the good kind. The pill is an easy way to make sure you get what you need. but it's no better or worse for you than using olive oil to cook or eating plenty of fish and nuts.

This. I take fish oil because I don't like seafood, so it's missing from my diet (hence the need to supplement).

I personally take omapure, and I found it based on a list of "certified" fish oil that's been independently tested. http://www.ifosprogram.com/consumer-reports.aspx

I am taking the pills (they are lemon flavored, but I don't get the burps), but I'm going to switch to the liquid next time. I take them before bed, and I have to take four large pills, and it usually takes me about 24oz of water to get them all down. No bueno for bedtime...
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use Equazen Eye Q omega 3 and 6 capsules, my nails are in much better condition since, I recommend a fish oil particularly if you dont eat that king of thing, I would look for something that contains Coenzyme Q10 also :)
  • slainte35
    slainte35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lots of fish oil supplements will produce fishy tasting burps (maybe not for everyone). I take fish oil by Nordic Naturals http://www.iherb.com/Nordic-Naturals-Omega-3-Purified-Fish-Oil-Lemon-120-Soft-Gels/4204). It is a great brand that does not produce fishy tasting burps.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I concur with other posters. Fish Oil is beneficial for your health

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-993-FISH OIL.aspx?activeIngredientId=993&activeIngredientName=FISH OIL

it is not a weight loss supplement.

Good luck in your journey to a healthier life
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend krill oil. It's similar to fish oil, but is many times more effective and doesn't give you the yucky fish burps that some of the fish oil pills do. It's a mood-booster, helps lower triglyceride levels, it reduces inflammation, eases pms symptoms, among other benefits.

I believe it contains shrimp though, so anyone with an allergy will have to use something different.

And of course, check with your doctor before you start taking them. :)
  • ButterSideDown
    ButterSideDown Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Innate Choice Omega Sufficiency Omega 3 Fish Oil, I take 1 teaspoon a day (doesn't taste fishy at all!, just lemony) and it gives me 900mg EPA and 600mg DHA.

There's been studies about fish oil and weight loss / metabolism. This one (Effects of supplemental fish oil on resting metabolic rate, body composition, and salivary cortisol in healthy adults - http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/31) states:

"In conclusion, 6 weeks of supplemental fish oil significantly increased lean mass, and significantly reduced fat mass in healthy adults."

But.... "Unlike the Couet et al. study [21], we did not observe an increase in RMR [resting metabolic rate], or a decrease in RER [respiratory exchange ratio] following fish oil treatment. The failure to find an increase in RMR following fish oil treatment is hard to explain given the significant increase in lean mass observed in the present study."

So it did something good, but they're not sure why, lol

But with all the other good reasons for taking fish oil, you can't go wrong with adding it to your diet.
  • angelrosado
    angelrosado Posts: 24 Member
    Options

The bottle will tell you what kind of fish is included in the pills.

My husband is allergic to shrimp and lobster and he's taken fish oil pills without a reaction.

Yea that means I might be able to take it...I will be adding this to my diet
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Be prepared to smell like fish...its awful!!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I take them when I feel like I haven't had enough essential fats