Birth Control and Weight Gain

Options
I need a little advice as to maintaining my current weight and perhaps losing maybe 2-3lbs. When I started on birth control pills six months ago, I weighed 104lbs, and I now weigh 110. Ever since starting on the pill, my weight has been on a steady incline despite increasing my exercise routine from practically nothing previously to walking 5xs/wk for 30 mins and yoga class and running 3 miles 3xs/wk on the treadmill. I have also changed my eating habits though my appetite has increased. I used to eat out frequently, but I now prepare 99% of my meals at home and have fruits and vegetables as snacks to compensate for the moments of increased appetite. I also have increased my water intake as well.
I joined MFP so I can do a better job of keeping track of what I eat and the exercises I do. I am not particularly concerned about losing weight, but rather not continuing to gain weight. Any other advice?

Sidenote--- I have been on several courses of Prednisone over the past two months, not sure if that has anything to do with the gaining weight.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If I offered you a glass of milk and told you it was laced with hormones, would you drink it? Weight gain is just one of the side effects of the pill, others are a lot more serious, including a much higher risk of blood clots.
  • bcjackson888
    bcjackson888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's most likely due to the Prednisone. I gained 20 lbs while I was taking it a few years back.
  • Fjcookie
    Fjcookie Posts: 48
    Options
    I am not entirely convinced that there isn't any correlation between weight gain and the pill. My weight before the pill fluctuated between 92lbs-104lbs for the past five years. I ate whatever I wanted and did absolutely no exercise. However, the weight gain may be due to the fact that my appetite has increased and as a result, I eat more. Any advice on how to handle the hunger?
  • Fjcookie
    Options
    and thank you all for your replies thus far :)
  • Fjcookie
    Options
    I am not sure how I posted in Food and Nutrition, perhaps there is a more appropriate section. Please excuse me. I am a newbie here.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's fair to totally blame birth control for weight gain. I was on Yasmin for 3 years and I can honestly say my weight gain was a direct result of eating too much and not exercising. I've had the Nexplanon (arm implant) since January and I've lost 20 lbs without too much difficulty. The hormones might cause more hunger but that's controllable.

Just my opinion.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's the prednisone. It will cause weight gain every time.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Sidenote--- I have been on several courses of Prednisone over the past two months, not sure if that has anything to do with the gaining weight.

Weight gain and birth control has been a clinically proven myth. I can get you a link to the most recent scientific periodicals that disprove the correlation.

I would also agree it's the prednisone as I worked in a pharmacy for 6 years and saw people swell like water balloons. Whenever you get off of the stuff, get ready to pee your brains out you lucky dog :drinker:

Edit: Spelling. Also, bringing my link from the post below up to this one :wink:
    "Birth Control Pills Do Not Cause Weight Gain, New Research Suggests" Jan 19th, 2011.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110119141901.htm
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

That is your culprit more than anything.

Birth control pills do NOT cause weight gain. Hormonal changes may... MAY... cause appetite changes but birth control pills themselves do not cause weight gain.

Prednisone is a whole other story. Prednisone is proven to cause an "increased appetite" - that's what they call it - I think they are putting that mildly. When I was put on Pred I wanted to eat everything including the kitchen sink. My soon to be hub was put on it for a course of two years and during the first 3-4 months his weight went INSANE (he was on a VERY heavy dose for a very long time before they weaned it down enough not to imact things as much). My sister in law, same thing, large dose for a long time and the first couple months, BANG, on came the weight. It's almost a fact of taking that drug. My courses of it were relatively short so that didn't happen to me.

Depends upon the dosage you had but if it was high enough, and if you took it long enough then yes it can cause a person to gain, absolutely totally yes.

I expressed the concern about the pill to both of my docs (gyn and primary) and got a firm "absolutely not" from both of them.
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never had an issue gaining weight on birth control, but birth control is to blame for many unwanted side effects so it wouldn't surprise me. Is there any chance you can switch to another birth control? I don't know what method you are using but if you are on the pill you might have success on another pill, or etc.
  • masker01
    masker01 Posts: 3
    Options
    The BC I'm on did make me gain weight.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The birth control I was on made me gain 35 pounds in about 6 months before I was finally able to level off. I then lost 40 pounds only to put 25 back on when I got pregnant (on the pill). I sadly miscarried. Changes in the hormones (estrogen/progesterone) will cause changes in appetite. If you don't watch what you are eating, you will gain weight. Sounds like the pregnisone is your culprit though.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I think being on several rounds of Prednisone is definitely of more interest than the Pill.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The BC I'm on did make me gain weight.

Here's what I was referring to:

"Birth Control Pills Do Not Cause Weight Gain, New Research Suggests" Jan 19th, 2011.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110119141901.htm
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight when I was on the pill. I only gained weight when I started working out seriously and lifting heavy. I have been off the pill for about 2 years and my weight hasn't changed.

Do you have to be on the pill because aside from the side effects it is not a good thing for your body. It royally screws up your hormones.
  • mgbur01
    mgbur01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i gained an instant 10 lbs as soon as i went on the pill...and it was a b*tch to try to lose too!! i know friends who don't have problems with it, but I'm very sensitive and suffered many terrible side effects while on it, and for me, my appetite increased immediately... I was ravenous ALL THE TIME! Eventually I just started doing intermittent fasting, but I don't recommend that for people because you might just think about food all the time then! But goodluck, my only advice is to get off the birth control-- It screwed me up for a looooooooong time, and I got off of it a year and a half ago, still suffering from irregularities that were never there before the pill.

I'd say expect to gain a bit more, and hopefully you'll level off around 10 or 15 lbs.
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely the prednisone. The kids I work with take it all the time and the parents tell me they have to put a lock on the fridge. It also makes people extremely moody and if you eat when you are moody and irritable, you are even worse off. You can't avoid it if you need it, but just beware and try to keep the eating under control and stick with things that are low sodium.
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had to be put on Prednisone for Ulcerative Colitis. I ended up having to be on it for several months and I gained 60lbs...from the increased appetite and also being sick and not moving around a whole lot.

When I started my new Pill, I gained maybe 5-10lbs.
  • emakat87
    emakat87 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey!!

I was worried about this before I started taking Yasmin.... But to be honest, if I would have knew how good this pill is to me I should have taken it way way before.

I usually had periods that lasted not less than 6 days and they were awful!!

But since I started Yasmin, almost 3 ½ years ago, everything changed… Now my periods last no longer than 4 days, no cramps, no nothing… And I managed to drop almost 20 pounds in six months.

I know the risks about taking it, but the benefits surpass them and if you have a good lifestyle, a healthy diet and you are slightly active, the pill is no reason to gain weight.

Now I’m trying to lose another 14 pounds and I can say for sure the pill has not interpose in my journey….

I hope this can help you!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Depo is the only bc that has a side effect of weight gain. Weight gain on pills is usually just water weight or due to appetite changes...but suspect if you are working out as much as you say that is a more likely suspect to appetite changes. Also steroids like prednisone do cause you to eat more and possibly gain.