Rest Days -- What do you eat?

Options
I've done some vigorous exercise this week - lots of advanced yoga and cardio. It's time to take the day off. What do you eat? Back off on fats to promote my own fat burning or pump up on carbs to replace glyogen for the next round. I'm hoping to lose fat and preserve muscle. I don't really need to lose weight. Thoughts?

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend, uh, "food."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same things, just less of it... but I usually don't take days off. Even if it's just a walk for 30 minutes, I'll do something.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've done some vigorous exercise this week - lots of advanced yoga and cardio. It's time to take the day off. What do you eat? Back off on fats to promote my own fat burning or pump up on carbs to replace glyogen for the next round. I'm hoping to lose fat and preserve muscle. I don't really need to lose weight. Thoughts?

Pretty much eat the same stuff you eat on exercise days, just a bit less. There are a few minor caveats. First, you still need the same amount of protein to prevent muscle loss (1 gram per pound of lean body mass), but you have to get it in fewer calories. So keep that mind. Second, if you do tons of cardio and eat lots of carbs for fuel on exercise days, you'll probably want to moderate that a bit on rest days. Decrease the carbs to make sure you still get the proper amount of protein w/o going over on your calories.

If your goal is to burn fat, then there is no reason to go low-fat-high-carb on rest days. Your body burns fat more efficiently on a low carb diet (because it has to!). However, you can still burn fat just fine on almost any type of diet as long as you have a caloric defecit.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Dietary fats do not make you fat...neither do carbs...overconsumption of food above your TDEE does.

Your rest days and workout days should have the same goals. Eat 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight for health, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass to preserve lean muscle, and fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you want, whether it is more fat, more protein, or carbs. Just remember to eat a moderate deficit under your TDEE to lose fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, let me tell you a secret (which isn't a secret at all). :glasses:

Have you ever tried paleo diet?

It isn't a magic pill or anything of that sort but it is the most natural diet a person can every eat.

I could write an essay here about the benefits of paleo diet but it would be better for you to check this person's article about paleo diet http://www.findjessie.com/best-paleo-diets/.

I hope that'll help you. :)

Jessie M
    What makes it so natural? The fact that no humans that have ever been on this planet have ever eaten that way? You've been reported for your spam, now go away.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It isn't a magic pill or anything of that sort but it is the most natural diet a person can every eat.

Yeah, super natural. Leaving aside the fact that there's no scientific support for much if what this diet is based on do you really think that meat these days is the same as what it was in the Paleolithic period? The food fed to animals, the anti-biotics, the hormones...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the fight above....

If you're not looking to lose weight eat what you fancy - just don't go crazy. You'll probably balance out over the week anyway, especially if you do any activity on "rest" days (i.e. not just lie in bed with a monster bar of chocolate:wink: )
  • candace177
    Options
    Pretty much all junks :( McDonald, ice cream, chocolate , cakes... you name it :( I know it's very bad but I just can't help it :( at least just once a week and I eat them in moderation :) after my " rest day " I just feel more motivated to get back to my normal diet, maybe it's my guilt ( of binging ) talking :)
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same but maybe a tad less!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    whats a rest day?:wink::laugh:

i try and exercise every day, even if its 20 min on the treadmill or a walk

if I have a not so active day, I need to eat more veg coz I don't have the earnt cals to eat
    I try and eat clean, I don't eat too many carbs, so most meat, veg, yoghurt and one G/F toast
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I maintain a consistent intake goal all week (based on weekly average TDEE); I'm always starving on rest days and hated cutting back on them before lol.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't plan my rest days; some days i wake up starving and just want to eat and eat, so i wait until those days hit me and have them as my rest days, (as long as they only happen once a week, otherwise i'll power through it). But when i do have a rest day i'll eat anything i want, although i do try not to go too crazy and over my daily calorie intake. However, i've found recently that i don't need cheat or rest days; i manage to eat whatever i want and still lose weight, so long as it's in my daily calorie intake. Last night i made a cheesecake and had a huge slice. The night before me and my boyfriend devoured an entire tub of choclate brownie ice-cream between us. The night before that i baked rock cakes and we demolished nearly the entire batch. So, i don't really see the need for cheat or rest days :)
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    I don't plan my rest days; some days i wake up starving and just want to eat and eat, so i wait until those days hit me and have them as my rest days, (as long as they only happen once a week, otherwise i'll power through it). But when i do have a rest day i'll eat anything i want, although i do try not to go too crazy and over my daily calorie intake. However, i've found recently that i don't need cheat or rest days; i manage to eat whatever i want and still lose weight, so long as it's in my daily calorie intake. Last night i made a cheesecake and had a huge slice. The night before me and my boyfriend devoured an entire tub of choclate brownie ice-cream between us. The night before that i baked rock cakes and we demolished nearly the entire batch. So, i don't really see the need for cheat or rest days :)

Oh my gosh - you can eat like that AND lose weight? I want to be you!!!!! But, those aren't very healthy food choices :-) When you get old (like me) you might regret it :-)
  • jdhoward_101
    Options

Oh my gosh - you can eat like that AND lose weight? I want to be you!!!!! But, those aren't very healthy food choices :-) When you get old (like me) you might regret it :-)

Lol, i wouldn't be wishing those things if i were you! I've been very silly with food in the past, and before i decided to stop being silly and start being healthy i was on 700-800 calories a day. It was a living nightmare, and one that was very hard to break out of. Now i'm on 1200 a day, which is still very low, but high for me all things considering, and because my body is so used to eating so little, i feel surprisingly full on that many calories a day. I tend to only get through 500 calories (net) at the most throughout the day, (breakfast, lunch and snacks) because my boyfriend has no need to worry about his weight, meaning that he makes me eat proper dinner, (bless him for it though, because i can't cook to save my life!) This means i know i will be consuming most of my calories in the evening, which is why i try and save them as much as possible. I have to walk to work and back, which is over five miles altogether, and i usually go to the gym after work too, and since we are going on net calories i usually have over 1000 left for dinner. So, when my boyfriend suggests having fish and chips for dinner, or asks me to bake a cake for dessert, i know i can eat it without feeling guilty. And it's been a long time since i could eat stuff like cake and chips without feeling guilt stricken afterwards! I know i will probably pay for it later on in my years, but for now i am enjoying eating what i want and feeling fine about it, and finally losing the weight i want without having to be stupid about it :)
  • Zumbanator
    Options
    Wow. I wasn't expecting that! On my rest day, everything went along fine until I had a couple of rice cakes at work because I figured I should eat SOMETHING. I really wasn't that hungry. And then I got home and ate everything carby in sight. It scared me a little. :) But the scale this morning only registered a half pound gain. I just don't get it!
  • jdhoward_101
    Options
    See? Rest days aren't that scary :p