Hooping?

Options
I read an article in the WW magazine May/June 2013 pg 42 about using hula hoops for exercise. Not kid hula hoops, but weighted hoops for adults. I know that there are classes offered at some gyms but I have 2 little ones at home and can't join a gym now for that reason.

Can someone that has no hooping experience (and may be somewhat uncoordinated) do well with this, or is it something that some people will just not be able to do. I don't want to invest $60 on the hoop and then more money for DVD's is there is a big difficulty level to it.

It would be so cute to hula with my girls this summer. Also, my husband and I go to music festivals where some girls hoop and dance at the same time and I would love to be "that girl!".

Replies

• ciarabubs
    ciarabubs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hoop and love it. I have never hooped before but find it really easy. Would so reccomend it!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hoop and love it. I have never hooped before but find it really easy. Would so reccomend it!

how much weight is your hoop? And what size? Thanks :)
  • Myfitself101
    Myfitself101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hooping is really easy if you have a weighted hoop. You will pick it up in no time!
    I bought mine from these guys (in the UK):

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/hula-hoops/classic-hoops.html

They know their stuff!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

how much weight is your hoop? And what size? Thanks :)

Beginner hoops should come up to your waistline ..... or there abouts. The smaller the hoop ... the tougher it will be.

I have a weighted hoop (Danskin) ......bought at Wal-Mart (just to try) .... it was cheap enough $20 range. It's a little short for me (5'5") .... I can't get the hang of it quite yet. Not very heavy .... like 2.5 pounds.

Here are a couple videos

http://video.about.com/exercise/How-to-Do-Beginner-Hula-Hoop-Exercises.htm
    http://video.about.com/exercise/How-to-Cardio-Hula-Hoop-Exercises.htm
  • ciarabubs
    ciarabubs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    . It weighs 3lbs and is 108cm
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You can make your own weighted hoop for pretty cheap, I found a tutorial for it on youtube awhile ago. And also you don't need any dvds, there are toooooons of routines and tricks on youtube. I love hooping, I definitely recommend it!
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a hooper! I bought a weighted one at first with the intention for using it for exercise, however after a couple of months I started buying lighter ones. Now I have about 4 all ranging in different weights (4-1pounds). You can do so much with a hoop other than just using it as a workout, such as many different styles of dancing and tricks. If you plan on taking classes, make sure that it's geared more towards the dance otherwise you'll simply get a workout class that incorporates a hula hoop. An example of a good website that also offers classes/online classes is wellroundedhoops.com, which also sell really good hula hoops. you can even learn from youtube tutorials. :) It's really fun once you get into it, and I would totally recommend it if you're looking to tone your core area! :)