Afraid to eat more calories...

Options
I am sorry to start ANOTHER thread maybe just like the hundreds of others but I think I am just in need of reassurance
...my TDEE is 2329 (I am working out 6 days a week and I am a teacher, basically on my feet 70% of my day) and I figured out with that other (very long and somewhat aggressive thread) that I should be eating around 1700. I weigh 167 and am 5'2", and want to lose about 30 more lbs. I have already lost 70 but have hit that plateau everyone talks about. The plateau did not start until two months into this working out 6 days a week thing, that I have been doing since January. I've been going on 1200 or so calories and sometimes not eating back the calories that I was given for working out. After some reflection I am realizing I probably sent my body into shock or starvation or whatever you want to call it...over the last 4 months, I lost my period, I have been tired and feeling like I haven't gotten enough sleep, even on 8 hrs...
So my conclusion is to eat more, but I am TERRIFIED to eat more. Like, I just cannot fathom the idea of putting more calories into my diet, I don't want to gain weight. Please, someone who has had to up their calories and still lost weight, tell me that its going to be ok and even if I do gain a little, it will be worth it and I will lose in the long run! I just redid my settings yesterday and opted to lose .5lb/week and now I am just panicking about how to find 1700 calories, like, where will I get them? I just went to lunch and while still choosing a healthier option than I would have chosen say, a year ago, I am having trouble getting around how much I am actually allowed to eat. Does this make sense?

Replies

• katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine (:
    At first you main gain a couple pounds but as your body gets used to it you Well start losing them again. If you don't want to do that big of a jump you can always up your calories 100-150 calories per week until you reach 1700. It's hard to believe to eat more and lose weight but it's def possible
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Just be slow and careful about it. Maybe add 50 or 100 calories per week or even every 2 weeks.

I had the same fear but needed to eat more. I wasn't losing on 1200 so I increased to 1350 then 1500 calories. I haven't gained or lost any weight. Obviously I'm eating at maintenance. My logging is irregular at best. I guesstimate at dinner, usually, but I'm still watching portions. It's not like I've thrown all caution to the wind.

If you aren't logging every bite, lick, sip, or taste, you're probably going to want to do that in order to have accurate data. That's what I'm trying to do, but old bad habits are hard to break.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What's really worrisome is the loss of your period. When you go through hormonal changes like that, it is clear evidence of lack of nutrients.

I know the idea of gaining weight is terrifying to you, but the benefits of raising your calories outweigh any possibility of weight gain. People don't often realize the long term effects of calorie restriction. Unless you wan't to eat at the same 1200 calories for the rest of your life, I'd begin an effort to raise your intake.

Start small, I know it can be intimidating. I'd add 50 calories every week, and then 100 once you feel comfortable.
    I promise you, if you up your calories and workout, you might have a temporary weight gain but it will be temporary, and eventually help you break through your plateau.

Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800/day now, after figuring IPOARM. I started out at 1200 per the MFP default. Yes, it was really scary upping my calories, but I did it little by little (up 100-150 cals/wk). When I saw that I kept losing as I increased my cals, I become more confident about upping my cals. My diary is open if you would like some food ideas.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500-1800 depending on exercise... do it you're meals will be tastier lol x
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. I always get calorie anxiety........like now. I need to go from 2100 to 2500. But once you do it, your body adapts and thanks you with physical results. I started at 1400 and upped it twice (300 + at a time.) and it's not that noticble ecspecially if you're just adding liquid calories to begin with. Anywho, Good luck. You got this!
  • rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method and eat between 1850 and 2000 depending on my workouts that week. I have been losing at least a pound a week for the last month (when I upped my calories from 1500-1600). I was only expecting to lose about .5 a week. I am 5'3, weigh 148 and workout 6 days a week. I am very happy I tried it. I didn't have anything to lose since I had plateaued for months.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to 1700 and my body is very happy and I've had slow and steady weight loss. Best thing is no desire to binge because I don't deprive myself. There's lots of healthy treats--peanut butter, cheese, avocado, nuts, etc. that you can eat that will bump up your calories without just being junk. I love the high fiber tortillas with cheese!
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What's really worrisome is the loss of your period. When you go through hormonal changes like that, it is clear evidence of lack of nutrients.

I know the idea of gaining weight is terrifying to you, but the benefits of raising your calories outweigh any possibility of weight gain. People don't often realize the long term effects of calorie restriction. Unless you wan't to eat at the same 1200 calories for the rest of your life, I'd begin an effort to raise your intake.

Start small, I know it can be intimidating. I'd add 50 calories every week, and then 100 once you feel comfortable.
    I promise you, if you up your calories and workout, you might have a temporary weight gain but it will be temporary, and eventually help you break through your plateau.

Good luck!
    It should have definitely been a red flag that I lost my period, but I should say it wasn't completely absent. It just became irregular and that was very unusual for me. I had a normal 28 day cycle and all of a sudden I was going 45-50 days, and I was having hot flashes.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you're having menstrual irregularity, please schedule a check-up and make sure everything is okay. Chances are good it's a diet thing, but that goes above and beyond the rule of thumb advice anyone here can give.

With that out of the way, eating sensibly is a very good thing, and that almost always means above 1200 (1200 is sensible for 7-year-olds, to put it in perspective).
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method and eat between 1850 and 2000 depending on my workouts that week. I have been losing at least a pound a week for the last month (when I upped my calories from 1500-1600). I was only expecting to lose about .5 a week. I am 5'3, weigh 148 and workout 6 days a week. I am very happy I tried it. I didn't have anything to lose since I had plateaued for months.
    This is very encouraging. Thank you for your response!
  • comedownnowxo
    comedownnowxo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I know this post is quite old but I wanted to see how changing your calories worked for you. I'm currently eating 1200 per mfp but bmr/tdee says 1550 when I reduce by 20%. This terrifies me. I lost 30 pounds due to an emergency surgery and am hoping to take off a little more. I have been maintaining for about 3 months but can't get the scale to budge. Did it end up working for you? I'm worried I'll begin gaining and then get stuck at that weight. Thanks!