So question.

Options
Hi yall! First time poster! And I would like to know...Is there any way to track the calories you burn whilst doing weights? (Including the machines at the gym like the leg press thing etc. I dont know how you classify those) Or are they just not a way to burn substantial calories? Because whenI I look up the machines here it just tells me no results found. Also I was advised to not do cardio because it will "make me flat" However I still do around and hour every other day because it's the only way I can see my results. Also have any of you experienced weight gain along with exercise? Ive straight up gained four pounds since I started steadily exercising ....talk about frustrating!!

Replies

• palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of questions! A helpful tip that I did not learn until a while after I had been on the forums is to use the search option to look for posts that have already been discussed several times. Also try looking at the sticky notes at the top of each message board subject and that should get you started.

Most of what you are experiencing is very common to people starting on their journey or picking it back up and is discussed on here a lot.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Hi yall! First time poster! And I would like to know...Is there any way to track the calories you burn whilst doing weights? (Including the machines at the gym like the leg press thing etc. I dont know how you classify those) Or are they just not a way to burn substantial calories? Because whenI I look up the machines here it just tells me no results found. Also I was advised to not do cardio because it will "make me flat" However I still do around and hour every other day because it's the only way I can see my results. Also have any of you experienced weight gain along with exercise? Ive straight up gained four pounds since I started steadily exercising ....talk about frustrating!!

Please don't listen to someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. Doing cardio is perfectly fine unless otherwise said by your physician. That out of the way, when I do strength training (I do not have a HRM) if I feel my heart rate is up most of the time, and I do it for 30 minutes, I pick something that burns about 100 calories. It's an estimate, but it's something. MFP tends to calculate way high, just so you are aware.

And yes, when I started exercising, I gained a little water weight as well, but it came off within a week. I tend to weigh myself once a week on Mondays completely naked and in the morning after I've peed, lol. remember that weight fluctuates on a daily basis.
  • Banglore
    Banglore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of questions! A helpful tip that I did not learn until a while after I had been on the forums is to use the search option to look for posts that have already been discussed several times. Also try looking at the sticky notes at the top of each message board subject and that should get you started.

Most of what you are experiencing is very common to people starting on their journey or picking it back up and is discussed on here a lot.
  • Banglore
    Options

Most of what you are experiencing is very common to people starting on their journey or picking it back up and

is discussed on here a lot.

Ah why thank you :) That is helpful I had a feeling my post was unoriginal but I didnt know what else to do!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah the weight lifting calorie burn estimate is a tough one. I take 2 minute rests and lift consistently for 45-60 min a day. I just plug that into MFP (Add Exercise > Cardio > Strength Training) and use whatever number it provides. For me though, it seems to underestimate a bit... I lost more than I expected when I was dieting and I'm not gaining like I'm expecting now that I'm bulking.

As for doing cardo and it making you "flat"... loosing weight means you loose fat, and fat contributes to the size of your breasts. How much it affects your bust size depends on the distribution of fat in your body (read: genetics). You won't know how much of an effect it will have on you until you loose some weight, but it's not the cardio that would do it.

As for weighing yourself... you gain and loose up to 4-5 lbs per day regularly depending on what you've eaten and what you've "released". The best advice I can give you is to... understanding what I just said... weigh yourself everyday in the morning at the same time, preferably after using the restroom and before eating or drinking anything. Then, pay attention to the lowest weight in a 7 day period, and record that once a week. You will get the most accurate low weight possible and won't have to sweat the false higher weights.
  • Banglore
    Options
    [/quote]

Please don't listen to someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. Doing cardio is perfectly fine unless otherwise said by your physician. That out of the way, when I do strength training (I do not have a HRM) if I feel my heart rate is up most of the time, and I do it for 30 minutes, I pick something that burns about 100 calories. It's an estimate, but it's something. MFP tends to calculate way high, just so you are aware.

And yes, when I started exercising, I gained a little water weight as well, but it came off within a week. I tend to weigh myself once a week on Mondays completely naked and in the morning after I've peed, lol. remember that weight fluctuates on a daily basis.
    [/quote]

Oh my gosh that is so good to hear and makes perfect sense as I have only been routinely going to the gym for about a week. I will definitely try having one weigh in day a week! Oh and I also dont have an hrm so we're in the same club :) I appreciate your help