hypothyroidism.... Is this possible?!

Options
Anyone diagnosed, in the run of being, taking meds ect and successfuly losing weight????

I am feeling very discouraged right now. I need to lose at least 100lbs and am desperate to do so!

Any info, advice will be appreciated
XoX

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Shoot me a message and I will help. Do you have blood test numbers? I can help you read those as well.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    HI!

I've lost 115lbs with hypothyroidism AND PCOS. It's possible, especially if you're on the proper dosage of thyroid medicine. I broke through my weight loss plateau within a week of my dosage being corrected, and that was three weeks ago!
  • robsonv
    robsonv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and am currently taking medication, it is possible...just a bit harder! I have lost about 18lbs in the last 4 months and am still losing.. I would eventually like to lose about 50 lbs. There are a few things you should avoid that further aggrevate the condition....Raw spinach, strawberries, any soy product and Peanut butter (which is high in cal. anyways). Don't give up! Just keep adjusting your calories until you find what works, and the biggest key for me is exercise! (i have recently discovered kettleballing which is awesome!)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am and also have lost in the past and doing it now :) just takes a little more planning and umph but can be done.. hang in there...

my last TSH level was 26.53 :\ so meds were adjusted again lol
  • 4theking
    Options
    I am and also have lost in the past and doing it now :) just takes a little more planning and umph but can be done.. hang in there...

Never adjust meds according to TSH. How do you feel. That is what it is all about.
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Never adjust meds according to TSH. How do you feel. That is what it is all about.

^^^^^This! "The right" TSH is different for everyone. You will know when you feel right and when you feel off. Get a good endocrinologist that can find your correct levels - which will be different than other people's correct levels.

And if you don't feel right, don't let them tell you that your levels are normal! Go to someone who will listen.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

^^^^^This! "The right" TSH is different for everyone. You will know when you feel right and when you feel off. Get a good endocrinologist that can find your correct levels - which will be different than other people's correct levels.

And if you don't feel right, don't let them tell you that your levels are normal! Go to someone who will listen.

Umm I been doing this since 2004 so I know what I am doing in regards to my own reading of labs/feelings etc... I can tell you that noone would feel normal at 26.53 .... I know I FEEL normal around a 1.. and my doctors KNOW this...
  • 4theking
    Options

Umm I been doing this since 2004 so I know what I am doing in regards to my own reading of labs/feelings etc... I can tell you that noone would feel normal at 26.53 .... I know I FEEL normal around a 1.. and my doctors KNOW this...

I remain humble but I have taught myself a great deal on the subject after feeling tired for years. The only thing TSH does is sends the signal for your body to make T4. If your taking medication, TSH is a useless tool. Once medication is taken, your body should stop production or slow it down because of the feedback loop. You should be more interested in T3 and reverse T3, as well as vitamin D levels, Iron levels, and cortisol levels.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed and taking hypothyroid meds since around 2004. I've got mild symptoms, not too much overweight (my MFP goal is 18 lbs). I believe in my own case, nutrition and exercise count more than my hypo or the meds. Maybe the hypo makes it harder to lose, but I'm more than halfway there!

Also, never increase your meds on your own. I once did to get more energy, and it worked but I also got heart palpitations and had trouble breathing -- suspect I went into hyperthyroidism range.

Good luck!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out on the weight loss journey, but i have lost a few pounds so far. I have hypothyroidism and high blood pressure. As long as I take my meds I do better at it.