A Shrimp Boil???

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
OK, Apparently I'm helping with a "shrimp boil." What this is, I don't really get... I'm a north woods girl. But, in theory, I understand there will be shrimp... boiled. And Corn on the Cob.

I'm supposed to be in charge of all other side dishes. I could desperately use some suggestions!! I'm guessing there will be roughly 20 pie holes to fill...

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bread for dipping into the "boil". Mac and cheese is good..Dirty rice...
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Shrimp boil = Shrimp, spices and lemon, and a bunch of other stuff. Standards are corn on the cob, potatoes, and sausage. Sometimes artichoke. These are all boiled with the shrimp.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are bringing the sides in addition to this? Any kind of picnic fare with due. Try a nice coleslaw with vinegar and sesame oil maybe. Yum!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    bread for dipping into the "boil". Mac and cheese is good..Dirty rice...

Dirty Rice?? What the hell do you southerners eat??? *LOL*

I'll google it :) Thanks!
  • Igotdisbish
    Options
    Big fat round long pickles
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    We call it Frogmore Stew or a Low Country Boil down here in SC. Yummy. I'd probably do cornbread as a side, but I'm traditionalist. Other options could be a fruit salad or some steamed veggies.
  • odusgolp
    Options

So, you're coming?
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    corn on the cob!
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A shrimp boil is as follows:

A shrimp bolil....shrimp.. corn... potatoes.... sausage seasonings.... every body does it different... sides

bread... coleslaw... it all depends of the tastebud of your pie holes to fill.

And sweet tea....

Hope this helps
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mkay, first a seafood "boil" whether it be shrimp or crab, etc. Its all pretty much called Crab Boil is is a flavoring pouch or seasoning you can buy. Its in the seasonings section of your grocery or by the seafood department. Popular brands are Old Bay Crab Boil or Zaiteran's Crab Boil. That, my dear, is what gives crab and shrimp that YUMMMY flavor its supposed to have. You know, the flavor that is missing when you eat crab at a china buffet. I have a blog on Crab Boil if you want to take a looksee.

http://mrsscalesrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-crab-should-taste-mmmmmmmm.html

As for sides.. hmm.. Hush puppies would work (pretty much seasoned up balls of bread, lol) . Steamed Broccoli. Fried Pickles. Fries.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    colelaw
    potato salad
    baked beans
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    throw in some crayfish(gouges eyes out for misspelling crawfish).
  • Igotdisbish
    Options

So, you're coming?

2 out of 3 work?
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Old bay seasoning. I'm from Maryland so this is how we roll anywhere near the Chesapeake Bay. Cocktail sauce is good.

If this is outdoor, then any picnic sides will do. Crabs would be awesome. Corn, rolls/biscuits, potato salad, mashed potatoes.
  • wykkeddone
    Options
    LOL! Fruit would also be nice..strawberries are in season. Southerners eat everything girlfriend. If you can catch it and batter it, we fry it or make a stew of it.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    cornbread. i don't care if it "goes" or not.

CORNBREAD.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    In our area of SC, we call it Beaufort Boil. It's Kelbasa sausage, corn, shrimp, baby potatoes and old bay seasoning.

Do bread as a side, but really, the potatoes are usually pretty filling.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    You guys are all SO fabulous :) Thank you!

Going to check your blog!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    In our area of SC, we call it Beaufort Boil. It's Kelbasa sausage, corn, shrimp, baby potatoes and old bay seasoning.

Hey! I've spent oodles of time in Beaufort! :) I even went shrimpin :)
  • odusgolp
    Options

So, you're coming?

2 out of 3 work?

RAWR :)