Stoping junk and chocolate how to beat it

Options
I want to get off all junk and crisps but my cravings get the better of me any advice of how to go cold turkey. I've tried everything from brushing teeth when craving appear they seem to always get the better of me Any ideas please would be great?

Replies

• wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Not having it at home and refraining from buying them, at least for now! Also good to let someone in your life know about it so you can be held accountable... Pressurizing but it works.

If you really must have chocolate, do dark choc!
    Also could consider switching to healthier/lower cal alternatives, but that would depend on what you're trying to replace!
  • JulyMamma17
    JulyMamma17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you kind of knowing what i have to do go cold turkey and not buy it as u said it just seems to be in front off me the whole time. I am at the stage in my life where i know im better off without do sw and want a cleaner lifestyle.
    May just plod along and refrain myself also may going to tell my hubby not to allow myself to buy it and get him to stop me.
    Thank u for the reply
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's not always good to "deny" yourself "bad" stuff - this can lead to "craziness" and bingeing. There is no bad food - only uncontrolled eating. Select one "bad" food (or two) that you REALLY like. Buy it in a relatively small package and if the package is more than one serving, redistribute it into single serve packets and then store them definitely out of sight, preferably someplace that is inconvenient to retrieve from like the top shelf in the cupboard or pantry, so you have to get a step stool to get some (makes you think about if you want some badly enough to go to the effort of retrieval). That way it is a personal choice, but not true denial (because you CAN have some if you REALLY want it). If you do have some, make sure to log it and modify activity or other consumption so you stay in your calorie budget. You can also look for healthier choices within a category and consume in moderation (I enjoy the odd square of unsweetened baker's chocolate when I get a craving for chocolate - you can also add a spoonful of baking cocoa to your coffee for a no-guilt chocolate fix)
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone. Some people have to go cold turkey...for others, going cold turkey ends in a binge. It's something that everyone needs to find out for themselves through trial and error. IMO
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i want all kinds of bad stuff and if it were in my house id eat it.. i do all the grocery shopping and i just dont buy any of it.
    if i want something i go out for it..
    like i dont keep a 1/2 gallon of ice cream in my house. if i want an ice cream every month or so i go out for a cone and get something really yummy. its not an everyday thing.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're going through. With trigger foods (aka foods that put you in a mindset of wanting to binge on them) are best to NOT have in the house. Cravings only last 15 minutes and are easily ignored if you can't justify making the special trip to the store. Watch an episode of your favorite TV show, take a walk around the block, take a shower, do something to take your mind off the craving. Remind yourself that food doesn't control you; you control what you eat, and you are going to retrain your brain not to need junk! This is a really powerful life change you are making, and remember to be proud of yourself for wanting to be healthier.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with indulging a craving if you plan it into your daily allotment of calories. If you want chips, go to the store and buy a small bag that only has 1-3 portions. If you can't afford all the portions in the bag in your daily calories, give them to someone else to eat, or THROW THE REST AWAY. You will just want to eat the rest if you take it home with you.

If you want ice cream, go get a single scoop at an ice cream shop. If you want chocolate or candy buy 1 bar, preferably not "king size" or "theatre style" packages but the regular, reasonable portions. Again, if you can only eat some of it to stay within your calorie goals, I know it sounds crazy, but just get rid of the rest!! If you do bring it home with you and are struggling, I read somewhere on the forums to throw it in the garbage and pour soap over it.

Enjoy your treats, and don't feel guilty when you have them, but don't tempt yourself with leftovers that you can't afford.

If your craving is really intense and you want a way to satisfy it at home, try eating a piece of fruit, a yogurt, or something else that is a source of sugar but will also give you better nutrients than junk food would. However, if you are really jonesing and obsessing over a certain item, go eat it. Eat it, enjoy it, and if you can't stick to one portion, take a walk afterwards!

Good luck, and feel free to add me, I am "quitting" fast food for a month and also trying to cut massively back on processed sweets and junky stuff, so we're in the same boat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Eat more nutritious food! Instead of focusing on what you're trying to avoid, focus on what you need more of. I haven't cut out any particular food, nor do I intend to (foods aren't "good" or "bad" in my world) but I have noticed that the more I try to meet certain targets for particular nutrients, the less room there is in my diary for the less-nutritious foods. Don't just look at the calories in your diary, but get interested in the other nutrients too.

If I have a really active day and end up with 500 calories to spare after my dinner, I could quite happily fill that with chocolate. I look at my diary though, and nowadays I'm more tempted to get a bit more protein in, or more fibre, or hit my micronutrient targets. I'll still have some chocolate, but I'll also go for greek yoghurt, or raspberries, or whatever meets my nutritional needs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    At first I just wouldn't buy any. I went cold turkey pretty much and only had protein shakes for a month or so before I was able to introduce junk again. Now I shockingly have enough self control not to eat the whole box. The protein shakes helped me get rid of the cravings for a while too (I still eat junk now, but because I have calories leftover anyway. I could stop if I wanted to. I think).

When I eat chocolate or ice cream or a cookie, I try to make sure to eat it slowly so I really enjoy it, and don't feel the need for a second one. It seems to help.
  • 999peanut
    999peanut Posts: 14
    Options
    I did a desensitising .. cannot remember where I saw it but it worked for me. .

I thought of the food I really hate the most and cannot stand ( porridge for me shudders) then imagined eating the foods I had an issue with and craved a lot with it, so it was using the porridge as a dip with the crisps.. this put me off the foods successfully. i still have them occasionally, but enjoy them less and less, not had any for months now..

I use this every time I have a big craving... now I can have them in the house and not eat them...

Chocolate is not an issue for me.. don't like it very much! its the cheese and savouries..
  • JulyMamma17
    JulyMamma17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies am going to try everyone of your ideas they really ahve made me think. At the end of the day i know i dont want them but im run down and feel i need junk as a pick me up. Now ive been using fruit as a subsitute and distract myself as suggested

Im telling myself do i really want it or could i have something else4e

When shopping today i skipped the treats aisle (kids we disgusted) but i need to keep it out of the house. I used to be addicted to diet coke and have stopped it over 3 weeks and only drink water so i know i have the ability to beat this maybe not cold turkey but with restraint and really thinking about my food choices

I just want to say thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me ill keep you udated on my progress xx