Needing Encouragement. What are your goals?

Options
Hi! I'm Emma, I'm 26 from the UK. And I currently weigh 190lbs.

I have a little boy who is 11 months old and I work part time as a Learning Disability support worker. I've just found out that I am going on holiday for the first time in years in September and I am hoping to find some friends on here to help me towards my weight loss goals, and that I can in turn help you!

I have a loooong way to go, and I know it's not possible to get there by September, but I figure it is a great motivation to get me started.

So how about you guys? Tell me about yourselves, successes and goals. I'd love to hear them all! And feel free to send a request if you'd like.

Replies

• Cpt_Kirk_2013
    Cpt_Kirk_2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to be a friend for encouragement and accountability. This site has been great for keeping track and getting motivated so I recommend you dive in and embrace it. You'll find that most people on here are in similar boats and looking for positive change. Add me if you'd like. Anyone else can as well. Check out my profile for my goals, etc. Good luck!
  • aparker1988
    aparker1988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm about 195 with a little boy who's about to be 1 and a half years old! So we have a couple of things in common! I am so sick of being unhappy with myself, which is why I logged on today! We can totally support each other. I'm going to try and add you to my friends or whatever because we need to encourage each other! My goal is 150-155. I would be ecstatic to be like 165 though lol because I've always been overweight. What is your goal for September??
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I'm 24 and weigh 177 pounds at 5'9... my goal is to be bathing suit ready by August. My friends go on a rafting trip every year and I have never worn a bathing suit! My high was 215, but never again. I just want to RUN and climb MOUNTAINS and be a great snowboarder!
  • sarahwebbo1978
    sarahwebbo1978 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm a 34 year old mother of two girls (4 1/2 and 21 months) and have 20lbs to lose minimum.

I've been using the old " it's ok it's baby weight" to myself for probably about a year too long now so am thinking its now or never. I also have a week of sitting in a bathing suit (long gone are the bikini days :sad: ) during our holiday in June to motivate me!

I'm new to the site (today's my third check in day) but am enjoying the fantastic support I've received so far. It's so great to see exactly where those horrible calories stack up!

I'm more than happy if you add me and I'll try to be as supportive as possible

Sarah
  • emmabilson
    Options
    Thank you for the good luck Cpt_Kirk_2013, I sent a request :)

I'd be happy with to drop a dress size or two really. I've looked up my weight I should be for my height which is 130lbs, which seems so far away to me right now.
  • Doppeltrolle
    Options
    Hello, I have been a member of MFP for a little less than a year now, and have never introduced myself. Currently, the only friends I have on here are people I know in real life, family included. My pen name is a username I fell in love with, but for those who can't pronounce it, I go by Tiff. I'm a nerd, fortunately, who wants to slim down. I love Doctor Who, books, writing, reading, drawing, and other incredibly insane things: also very much in love with Asian culture. Currently married to other FPL member, 'holstering' also my main source of encouragement and reason I want to look better (not that I don't want to feel better about myself!) I'm an aspiring photographer, I want to travel -- also another big reason I joined. I want to be happy being in front of the camera if need be, to travel, etc.

My goal is to get down into a size 12-14, I'd be happy with that. Definitely want an active support group and friends, so don't be shy about adding; and if there's things we have in common, then that's more to cheer on!
  • emmabilson
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome. My computer is going very slow, I *think* I have sent requests to everyone.

I'm also slowly trying to fill in my profile information.
  • skorpio1030
    Options
    I'm 26 and have a 5 month old little boy : )

I'm still trying to loose the baby weight and am currently at 187 pounds.. My prebaby weight was 167 pounds, but my goal weight in atleast 150..

Feel free to add me!!
  • emmabilson
    Options
    What a gorgeous little boy you have :)

I wish I could say my weight was baby weight, but I have no excuse at all. I think I was 192lbs at my first weigh in with the midwife and I have not really changed much since. I lost a bit when breast feeding (mostly from the stress it caused me I think as baby couldn't latch properly) but I could only manage 2 weeks before having to stop for medical reasons.

I think I have always considered myself to be "large" even though when I look back now I wasn't really, and I think that's my issue. I always saw myself as bigger, so it didn't matter when I gained more weight.

I want to be healthy for my little boy, to be able to run around after him and play without feeling out of breath and sweaty lol.
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your post catched my attention because even though I've drop quite a few pounds, for the last couple of months I haven't been "in the game"....just last week I found a new motivation!....a 10K race!! YEAH!!
    So, I've doing this (seriously) for a year now and I've dropped a little over 50lbs!!!! I know!!!! It sounds incredible I can't even believe it.
    So I started when I was about 210lbs and I'm now at 157lbs and still want to go at least another 27lbs to reach 130lbs. I'm only 5'2" so something around 130lbs for me should be good.
    I talked to a few friends who lost a lot of weight before I started and got their tips as to how they did it; one of them recommended me to just start by adding the excercise into my daily routine, as soon as I started and saw I was dropping weight i got super motivated and a few months later is when I thought it was a good idea to count calories and that's how I first bumped into MFP. It literally changed my life! The support, the advise, the tips I got from great people here were awesome!
    So counting calories and really working out about 5 days a week (just 30min or so) is how I did it.
    As I approached my last stretch I started to feel "comfortable" in my new skin and left the workouts a bit to about 3 times a week, and then 1 a week....but that's how we start to gain again and I don't want to let that happen!!
    This week is a new beginning for me, so I'm running 3 times a week for about 45min and doing 3 times a week of weight lifting to add some definition.....so far so good!
    It takes a lot of sacrificies, determination, commitment and tons of motivation to keep moving but sure you will reach your goals. Give your body a chance and you'll see the amazing response it gives you, you'll be amazed!!
    Best of luck!! (I've sent a friend request your way)
    Ceci
  • emmabilson
    Options
    Thanks Ceci, congratulations on your loss so far! I am in awe. A 10k sounds hard work but great fun. I love running, started doing the c25k a while ago and really surprised myself to what I am capable of, certainly going to start doing it again.

I'd love to know any tips or hints. Its not really something I feel like I can really talk about to my friends (they are all lovely and tell me I'm fine, because that's what friends do, especially those who are naturally skinny and don't need to try to lose at all lol)
  • andres4317
    andres4317 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma!

A couple things I learned:

Log any and all yardwork or moderate house cleaning---anything where you break a sweat.

If you have a smartphone/iphone, get the Runtastic app--it syncs with myfitnesspal. Great for walks/runs with your little one.

I have been using MFP and Runtastic for three months and have lost 40 pounds. My wife has lost 26 in that same time frame. Having a partner increases your motivation, gives support and aids positive results.

Don't worry about setbacks, they will happen and are only temporary if you stick to your program. We both have had a few and always bounce back.

Progress, no matter how small, is progress. Learn to appreciate even the smallest loss---that is where many give up.

Good luck!
  • emmabilson
    Options
    Wow congratulations on your loss so far! Its great hearing all these success stories.

I have downloaded the app just now, thank you

And thank you everyone for the messages and friend requests. I am going to bed now as it seems I have a big day tomorrow, planning to get to the gym as soon as I can.

Good luck with all your goals, and feel free to send me a request if you are looking for support too :)