Ketogenic

Options
tigga39
tigga39 Posts: 11 Member
Hi,
I've been researching the ketogenic diet quite significantly over the last few week and last week I started it. I feel great and not so bloated. This might be due to the red wine abstinance!
Anyway....
My weight has stayed the same. My ketones are in the 15/20 range and I'm in definitely in ketosis. My ratios are 70% fat, "%% protein, 5% carbs (from eggs, salad and green veg and cheese only)
I have abused my body over the years with this diet and that diet but this is the first time I've ever had this trouble.
I exercise at the gym three times a week or so doing both cardio HIIT, and weight training.
I have just taken up golf and aim to go when I can - maybe once a fortnight.

I've opened up my settings to all so that anyone is able to see what I've eaten over the last week...I'm hoping someone will spot a mistake and tell me loudly!

I don't know what else to do.... any tips would be welcome
thanks, Tigga x

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I m 70g fat 190g protein less than 20 carb.. diet is for a 175 lb male wishing to preserve muscle.
  • tippietoes
    Options
    I would say to have a bigger breakfast.. a cup of tea isn't that much! Seems like you're having very little in the morning & then a big meal at night. Good luck with it :)
  • tigga39
    Options
    Thanks, I do find it hard to eat first thing in the morning though....and initially I did do this. It's only the last few days that I haven't.

I think I've messed my system up with previous diets etc. And I'm no spring chicken anymore. Are my expectations too high at 50? argh
  • ketoratio
    Options
    Hi

I have been eating this way now for nearly 2 years (on and off) and I've found that you have to 'tweak' it to suit your own needs. I'm a 45 year old woman. Try dietdoctor.com or marksdailyapple.com, both are very good sites with a mound of information (too much sometimes).

The key to this way of eating is to ensure that you keep your protein level moderate, which means not eating more than your body needs to mend itself, do not be afraid of fat (good fat) and eat at least 20g's of carbs a day of veg. You also have to watch the cheese and nuts (not accusing you of over eating these at all). My biggest tip is to count calories for a while, just so you know what range you need to stay in, but eat if you are hungry. Once you are adapted you will naturally (I mean it) eat only what your body needs.

I started off by eating as much low carb/high fat food as I wanted and I mean I gorged myself. Only then when I felt that I was completely off the sugar and had no cravings (it took around 3 weeks) my appetite started to reduce naturally and I was able to make better choices and keep my portions naturally in control. You may not lose any weight for the first 2 months, but you will feel amazing once the carb cravings are gone. I've lost 60lbs in 2 years and I am leaner now than I was when I was 20.

This is not a diet, it truly is a lifestyle. I'm more Paleo now, eating sweet potatoes, Greek yogurt, berries, nuts and some wild rice.

Good luck and don't let anyone tell you that you 'need' carbs, you don't.

Michelle x
  • tigga39
    Options
    Thank you so much. I did find marks daily apple!

I'm not going to give up anyway. And maybe I'm weird but I don't have any carb cravings. To be honest I don't particularly like potatoes, rice or pasta anyway and I don't have a sweet tooth... It's only the red wine that I miss a little.

I shall persevere. Thanks again x
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on Keto who have problems with breakfast do Bulletproof Coffee and a tea recipe is floating around, too. Maybe that will help you break through breakfast!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been researching the ketogenic diet quite significantly over the last few week and last week I started it. I feel great and not so bloated. This might be due to the red wine abstinance!
    Anyway....
    My weight has stayed the same. My ketones are in the 15/20 range and I'm in definitely in ketosis. My ratios are 70% fat, "%% protein, 5% carbs (from eggs, salad and green veg and cheese only)
    I have abused my body over the years with this diet and that diet but this is the first time I've ever had this trouble.
    I exercise at the gym three times a week or so doing both cardio HIIT, and weight training.

I've opened up my settings to all so that anyone is able to see what I've eaten over the last week...I'm hoping someone will spot a mistake and tell me loudly!

thanks, Tigga x

Do you have a medical reason to do a keto diet, as fat loss is not significantly different than other diets when holding cals and protein constant
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Tigga,
    Not bashing, but if you just started (keto) your cardio routines probably aren't going to stay the same once you get your glycogen depleted.

Too much cardio is actually detrimental if you're doing a ketogenic diet, if anything you should be doing LISS for around 20 minutes or so. If you're not doing refeeds then you're probably not going to have the "energy" for anything high intensity.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    can someone just mention that ONE WEEK on a new eating plan is not nearly enough time to know if it's working or not? give it at least 4 weeks before you decide if you need to change something.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Anyway....

thanks, Tigga x

Do you have a medical reason to do a keto diet, as fat loss is not significantly different than other diets when holding cals and protein constant

this was my thought exactly.