trying to lose weight..what foods ahould i avoid?

Options
Heyy I'm trying to lose weight..I'm just curious as too what foods are good and what foods I should avoid ? I know junk foods are bad and things with a lot of fats and stuff..but are there other things that arnt good ethier?

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Try eating Real Foods, staying away from the processed foods, don't avoid fat entirely it is true there are some fats that may be bad but there are lots of good fats that you need, fats from Avacado, Olives, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil. I have lost 40+ lbs in about 3 1/2 months by eating real foods and avoiding processed foods as much as I can. I make most of meals so I don't buy the boxed meals even if they say they are healthy. A great website for finding recipes is www.skinnytaste.com. I highly suggest checking it out. I cook on the weekends and eat left overs during the week, there are even some receipes that freeze really well so I will freeze individual servings and make sure I always have some in the freezer if I need to grab something quick for work.

I do suggest though talking to a DR and making sure you don't have any underline condition that causes you to have issues with your weight because if you do you may have to stay away from some other kinds of foods as well.
  • drkangelluv
    Options
    Awsome thank you!! Ill def have to check that website out
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Heyy I'm trying to lose weight..I'm just curious as too what foods are good and what foods I should avoid ? I know junk foods are bad and things with a lot of fats and stuff..but are there other things that arnt good ethier?

Try not to think of foods as inherently good or bad...that's how people end up sucking on celery sticks and carrots and nothing else. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...carbs don't make you fat...protein doesn't make you fat. An over consumption of calories makes you fat.

You should put more emphasis on nutrient dense foods...these may or may not be calorie dense. For example, nuts and avocados...nut butters, olive oil, etc are very nutritious foods...but they're also high in heart healthy fats so they are calorie dense as well.

For me, it's as much about proper health and nutrition as much as it is weight loss. I personally steer clear of "diet food"..."health foods", etc. I eat primarily nutrient dense, whole foods and try to limit processed type foods. I also try to avoid foods with added sugar and I don't do high fructose corn syrup at all (just a rule I have). So I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables...lot of healthy fats from nuts and olive oil...I eat minimal dairy because it is extremely calorie dense and I don't believe in low fat/no fat dairy (nasty)...I eat lots of lean proteins like fish, shell fish, chicken, and lean cuts of pork and beef.

Try to shop more on the perimeter of your grocery store and less in the aisles. Two other websites I like are Cookinglight and Eatingwell.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just log the food you eat. Some things will be a real eye opener....... like "wow, a serivng size is incredibly tiny" ..... or "that's like all my fat for the whole day." Other things you will log .....you will be pleasantly surprised.

I try not to ban any foods ..... but I have learned that some are "occasional treats" & not everyday. All things in moderation. Keeping weight off is going to be a lifestyle change.

You pretty much can't go wrong with "whole foods" ... lean meats, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and dairy (maybe lower fat than you're used to). Fat is important too .... healthy fats are nuts, nut butter, olive oil & avacodo.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    None? Eat what you want if it's within your calories/macros. Lose weight, win.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This.

That being said here are a list of foods I avoid.

Mayonaisse
    Sardines
    Light Beer
    Radishes
    Pop Tarts
    Anything deep fried
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Fatty dessert foods like cake and cookies, chips, ect unless in moderation and moderation is something like once or twice a week. Fast food, diet meals like lean cuisine...ect...
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I recommend avoiding foods that you don't like.

Besides that, just make smart choices (in terms of portions, nutrition, and activity) and enjoy every calorie that you consume. Logging truthfully and being kind to yourself about slip-ups can be helpful, too.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    You should avoid foods that have a lot of calories but don't fill you up (sugary, starchy, greasy).

In theory, you can eat whatever you want if you keep your calories under your limit, but in reality if you eat, for example, 1200 calories worth of cookies and french fries you will be super hungry and have a harder time staying under your limit.

Fiber and protein are your friends.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't think any food should be avoided, unless you know you won't be able to eat only a serving of that food. As a general rule, I don't buy junk food I like (my husband has to have Dr. Pepper and other goodies that I don't like). If I want something I buy a small package and eat it, and then I am fine. For example, if I want an ice cream cone, or frozen yogurt, I go to that restaurant. I order one serving and eat it. Craving taken care of. Because I have to eat out a lot, I have found that eating kid's meals at fast food places or salads offer me the best shot at portion control. The only food group that you can safely eliminate from your diet without possible vitamin deficiencies is refined sugar and white flour. Food for Life offers a lot of whole grain options for breads and cereals that taste pretty good. Fresh fruits and veggie are good as well, buy organic or local when finances and seasons permit. You'll be helping your local farmer. Don't forget to exercise, and see a doctor before starting any kind of diet/exercise plan. Make sure you follow his or her directions and suggestions. You can also ask the doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietitian for further guidance. Good luck.

ETA: If you don't like a particular food, or have an allergy/intolerance of course avoid those.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Darn it! Got beaten to my point! This is the way I go. As soon as I make something forbidden, I want it.

If I want. Burger, I make a burger. That way I know what has gone into it. Same with a Lasagne. If the kids want pizza I will only have a small piece, and because I make it myself and make sure that it suits us all.

As a rule of thumb I will avoid anything processed or ready-made, high in fat, high in sugar. Anything with 'low fat' written on it will generally be high in sugar to put some flavour back, or be full of chemicals. Anything with 'diet' will generally be full of chemicals for the same reason, so I would go for the original 4* variety if it fits in my calories for the day.
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Essentially, you could eat nothing but pepperoni pizza. At 310 calories per slice, you could eat 2 slices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is the nutritional info for 6 slices:
    Calories 1,860 Sodium 5,220 mg
    Total Fat 78 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 24 g Total Carbs 228 g
    Dietary Fiber 12 g
    Sugars 24 g
    Protein 78 g
    Cholesterol 120 mg
    That's a lot of sodium and fat. If you reduce these kinds of highly processed food and increase more nutrient dense "real foods", you can actually eat more and feel fuller longer.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What foods to avoid? None really - the moment you start refusing yourself the chance to eat something that you may enjoy, you end up craving it more. The phrase "everything in moderation" is very true - one bad day does not make one bad week, or a month, or a year. We are not robots - we all make bad decisions at some point and beating ourselves up about it only makes the situation worse.

That said, I generally don't eat a lot of junk food or processed food. I used MFP in the past, but was eating ready meals that fitted in with my incredibly stretched routine. I lost barely anything because a) processed/ready meals are really not good for you - full of additives, full of sugar, full of salt. They are also tiny portion sizes that leave you feel more hungry and b) I was too restrictive on my calories.

Fat does not mean BAD things. I actually concentrate more on sugar than fat. The fat I DO eat is usually things like avocado, extra virgin oil, feta cheese, peanut butter (certain types are better than others) and oily fish. These are good for you, and it's really important NOT to cut them out based on the fat content. As far as I'm concerned, sugar is my issue - the sugar levels in my diet are nearly always from natural occuring; fruits and vegetables. I have one bit of chocolate a day - dark chocolate, which I hated but have now come to love - it's really, really good for health and brain! Bulk out meals with vegetables - find recipes, adjust them, tweak them.

Eat clean, is my advice. Eat things that make YOU feel good. Speaking from experience, healthy eating is a lifestyle choice - it's not something you do for 6+ months and then go back to eating junk. Eating junk all the time DOES make you feel rubbish - trust me on this one.

It's worth noting I don't really drink alcohol; I was addicted to it - 30+ units a week (if not more) and I have cut it out completely. I am not teetotal or ever profess to be, but I just don't want to drink it because it makes me feel rubbish; I'd never preach to someone about alcohol, but I do think it makes a difference if you drink all the time.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here, I will help anyway I can! x
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The only foods I avoid (and the only ones I'd suggest avoiding) are foods that you are allergic or intolerant too and those that you just don't like. Oh, also any foods that are moldy and stuff - you know, common sense avoidance. Otherwise, if it fits in your calorie goals (and hopefully your macros if you are watching them) - then go for it :)
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me it is what ever fills me up for the fewest amount of calories, tastes good, and is quick and easy! I suggest reading the eat this, Not that book. I have also picked up a few things from watching the Doctors & Dr. Oz also has some good stuff on his website. For example, I consider that one egg roll equals a whole plate of vegetable stir fry. I can not say that I always choose the vegetables when I really want the fried badness but at least I make an informed decision and don't have like three of them plus the stir fry (like I use to with a mound of duck sauce and hot mustard).
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

This.

That being said here are a list of foods I avoid.

Mayonaisse
    Sardines
    Light Beer
    Radishes
    Pop Tarts
    Anything deep fried
    Sardines in olive oil is an amazing source of protein and good fats-a very nutritious food! There is no reason to eliminate this unless you dislike it or are allergic to fish. It's filling and only 240 calories a serving.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    All of them.

Jk, eat what you want, in moderation, and make sure it fits your calorie goals for the day. It's simple!!
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Darn it! Got beaten to my point! This is the way I go. As soon as I make something forbidden, I want it.

If I want. Burger, I make a burger. That way I know what has gone into it. Same with a Lasagne. If the kids want pizza I will only have a small piece, and because I make it myself and make sure that it suits us all.

As a rule of thumb I will avoid anything processed or ready-made, high in fat, high in sugar. Anything with 'low fat' written on it will generally be high in sugar to put some flavour back, or be full of chemicals. Anything with 'diet' will generally be full of chemicals for the same reason, so I would go for the original 4* variety if it fits in my calories for the day.

Agree on both comments :smile:
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For me, when I think "I have to avoid 'insert name of food here', that makes me want that food that much more, especially if it is something I may have eaten for years. I just cut down on some foods, like McDonalds, and now I honestly have almost zero taste for McDonalds. Now, instead of having a Quarter Pounder with Cheese a couple times a week, I'm now only have it maybe once or twice a month, if that. I don't think there is anything wrong with an occasional 'treat', but just make sure you work it into your day's calories, etc.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Avoid or minimise the foods which make staying in a calorie deficit harder for you.

Increase or maximise the foods which make staying in a calorie deficit easier for you.

It's a personal thing and only you will know after a bit of experimenting.