Moving from 10K to half-marathon

Options
I started running about seven years ago, but got quite a bit more serious about it maybe three years ago. I run probably a minimum of ten 5K/10K runs per year - tomorrow will be my fourth race this year (two 5K and two 10K). My longest run so far (earlier this month) was 8.1 miles.
I read on some websites that I really need to be averaging 20+ miles/week before I should look into training for a half. Meanwhile some running friends have told me that I could start training intensively now for 2 weeks and be ready.
What do you guys think?
And feel free to add me as a friend - I love talking running!

Replies

• jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think the difference in advice comes from "racing" vs "finishing". I would agree that with your running base you could add a couple of longer runs 10 or 11 miles for a couple of weeks and then be able to complete a half marathon. To race it then you start needing more mileage. Hal Higdon's novice plan maxes out with a long run of 10 miles, the intermediate plans go to 12 with added speed work etc. I'd say you could safely register for one in a couple of months, just add in a long run each week building up one mile a week from the 8 you were already at! Best of luck!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Don't plan your half for next month or anything, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't train for and run a half in about 12 weeks.

I started training for my first half when my mileage was only about 12-15 a week. Training for my half is what gradually got my running to the 20+ range. Hal Higdon's novice 1 starts at 12 miles a week and builds up to 20+ gradually.
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    Don't plan your half for next month or anything, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't train for and run a half in about 12 weeks.

I started training for my first half when my mileage was only about 12-15 a week. Training for my half is what gradually got my running to the 20+ range. Hal Higdon's novice 1 starts at 12 miles a week and builds up to 20+ gradually.

Ok - this I can live with. I am pretty consistently putting in 12-15 miles a week since I started trying to push my longest run, but I have not ever put in 20 in a week that I can remember.
    I'm almost always getting at least one 10K run done every week. If I can do that and push my long run up to 10, I'm thinking that maybe then I could start looking at a race calendar. Maybe?
  • txbandman
    Options
    I think the difference in advice comes from "racing" vs "finishing". I would agree that with your running base you could add a couple of longer runs 10 or 11 miles for a couple of weeks and then be able to complete a half marathon. To race it then you start needing more mileage. Hal Higdon's novice plan maxes out with a long run of 10 miles, the intermediate plans go to 12 with added speed work etc. I'd say you could safely register for one in a couple of months, just add in a long run each week building up one mile a week from the 8 you were already at! Best of luck!

And for my first one, I think I will be happy "finishing". Other than the one long run per week, do I stick with the 3.5 - 4 mile tempo runs, or should my non-long-runs be pushed for more distance?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    train for a half marathon in 2 weeks-the only thing this will do is promote injury. Get online and follow a program. Hal Higdon, Marathonrookie.com etc.
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd check out Hal Higdon - several different plans depending on your goals. I've done intermediate before and this go round I'm sticking with novice 1 for the most part (I'm building to 12 instead of just 10 for long runs). Novice 1 will allow you to finish and as you progress the other plans are more for improving your times etc. Always so nice when it is your first one, it will be a PR no matter what!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    The longest training run I ever do for a half is 10 miles. When were you thinking of doing it?
    I would say print a Hal Higdon schedule and start at the 6 mile long run training week and you should be fine from there

Good Luck !
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest against it. Think about how you feel after 4 miles. Now think about how you feel after 8. Add those feelings together and you still haven't hit 13.1. That's just how I would think about it. I don't enter races because of financial reasons. I can't really afford the $20-30 just to do a 5k. Now, I do want to enter a half. I regularly run 15 miles a week but have recently upped it to 20. My long day is 8 miles. That was with no water or gu, so I'm pretty wiped. I just bought a runner's belt so i'll be running this weekend with water and gu. I'm planning on 10 miles but can settle for 8 if I take a shortcut. When I can do 10 miles and feel I have more left to give I'll enter for a half. I like your idea about being content with just finishing, as that's what I'm going into it with, but I don't want to be walking across the finish line completely spent. I want to run the entire 13.1. My short runs I do 'some' sprints. They'll make me faster and I want to improve my Army 2 mile time. So, I mean, you set out to run a half, so why settle for walking? Get a water source and a carb source (runners belt and gu packets or jelly beans even) and try and hit 10 miles. If you feel you can keep going then perhaps you can do the half. But to only train for 2 weeks seems a bit short. After all, that would only get you two long runs before you run it.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just started running last fall and have never been athletic in my entire life- I mean nothing. I ran my first race- a 5k- in November 2012 (phew that was tough!). Since January, I have run a 5k, a 10k, 2- 10milers, and a 1/2 marathon. I run 3-5 day a week. During the week I only run about 3.5 miles at a time and on the weekends I do 6-10 miles. The 1/2 marathon was the longest I have ever run in my life! It was very difficult (so were the 10 mile runs). I am a slow runner averaging 12-12:30 minute miles- I do not take walk breaks. As a beginner, my goal is to simply cross the finish line. I hope to get a bit more experience and then improve my time! :)

Good Luck to you! I never, ever, ever thought I would enjoy running! ever, ever, never! But here I am!

BTW, my 1/2 marathon time was 2:55..... but, hey- I wasn't last! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    And for my first one, I think I will be happy "finishing". Other than the one long run per week, do I stick with the 3.5 - 4 mile tempo runs, or should my non-long-runs be pushed for more distance?
    The tempo run is excellent preparation for a HM. For the long run you should aim for 2 to 2.5 hours. This is true no matter what distance you are racing because some of the physiological adaptations you are looking for don't start to happen until you have been running for at least 90 minutes. The other runs should be about an hour.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The tempo run is excellent preparation for a HM. For the long run you should aim for 2 to 2.5 hours. This is true no matter what distance you are racing because some of the physiological adaptations you are looking for don't start to happen until you have been running for at least 90 minutes. The other runs should be about an hour.

Scott is the man!

If it was me, I would do something like 3-5-9 miles (10 min mile) for 3 days the first week, and add a mile to the long run day. In 4 weeks you should be there. If you run a 4th day, keep it short.
  • txbandman
    Options
    I really appreciate the great advice from everyone. The 8-mile run I logged earlier this month was somewhere around an 8:16/mile average pace, and pretty steady all the way through until the last mile - 7:45 because I needed to get home and get ready for work - otherwise, I don't think I would have stopped when I did. It really seemed like I had plenty left in my tank.
    The water and gels are going to be an adjustment - I have never taken anything but my Garmin with me on a run.
    And thanks, kopmom - it sounds like everyone thinks Hal Higdon is the best place for me to start.
    Thanks so much for all the help! I would love to have any of you guys add me so that I can check in with you for suggestions as I try to make this happen!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I did my first half when I was running 10 miles and doing an 8-10 minute pace. I just wanted to finish but the nice weather and crowds gave me a decent time. I was running about 20 miles a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.
    I was told when you can do close to the goal, fairly easily, you can usually do it.

Everyone is different, some people run many miles a week, 5 days or more, some do 3 or 4, it really depends on your body and training. There are books/ training guides out there for every type of runner.

If you only did 8 miles once, that might not be enough. You should try to do at least 10 and as mentioned earlier, training guides...they aren't bibles, but have good advice.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was running about 15 or so miles a week.. and got myself ready for my first half in about 8 weeks. The fact that you can run 8 miles already is huge! I adopt the approach of doing a 10/1 run/walk for my long runs. Long should be nice and slow. On your shorter runs you can play around with speed work.
    I think the goal of your first one should be just to finish.. like you said. And make no mistake, that's a huge achievement! Sounds to me like you're on your way!
    Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I started training for my first HM when I was I my running 3 miles at a time (at a much slower pace than you). I did a 16 week program and finished. I didn't feel fantastic but it wasn't my worst race.

I also like the Hal Higdon programs.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I can't any seasoned advice as I am in my running frontier as well. I have run a couple of 5k's and have decided to do a 10k in June, half marathon in July and a full marathon in September. I have trained for my 5's with Hal and am currently using Hal again for the marathon training.

I have also recently adjusted my running style from a gazelle to a glider which fits my style more and I am very excited with the 1 mile per minute pace improvement.

Best of luck. And always looking for new running friends, so feel to add me as well.
  • txbandman
    Options
    I was running about 15 or so miles a week.. and got myself ready for my first half in about 8 weeks. The fact that you can run 8 miles already is huge! I adopt the approach of doing a 10/1 run/walk for my long runs. Long should be nice and slow. On your shorter runs you can play around with speed work.
    I think the goal of your first one should be just to finish.. like you said. And make no mistake, that's a huge achievement! Sounds to me like you're on your way!
    Good luck!

"Long should be nice and slow." - I think this might be what has kept me from adding distance as quickly as I would have liked to. I set out for a long run thinking "Okay, take this nice and easy - want to put in a new PR for total distance." But then mile one is in the low 8s and I can't seem to force myself to back it down. I'm getting ready to set out on a long this afternoon, and I'm going to try to keep all the miles at 8:30 or slower. I don't know why that seems to be so difficult for me, but it does. Any thoughts? Anyone?
  • scottb81
    Options
    "Long should be nice and slow." - I think this might be what has kept me from adding distance as quickly as I would have liked to. I set out for a long run thinking "Okay, take this nice and easy - want to put in a new PR for total distance." But then mile one is in the low 8s and I can't seem to force myself to back it down. I'm getting ready to set out on a long this afternoon, and I'm going to try to keep all the miles at 8:30 or slower. I don't know why that seems to be so difficult for me, but it does. Any thoughts? Anyone?
    That's a common problem but you really will benefit more by running longer at a moderate pace. If you have a HRM stay below 80% max. Even if you can go harder it will not gain you extra benefit but will make you more tired and compromise other runs during the week. In fact, by running too hard you will not train the slow twitch muscle fibers which are the primary target of this run.

Here is something I wrote on the benefits of the long run.

The long run. Anyone running races 5k and up should be doing a weekly long run of 2 to 2.5 hours. Distance is not important and the pace should be easy. Just run comfortably and when the time runs out then stop. If you cover 10 miles that's great. If you cover 20 miles, well, then you probably ran in the Olympics last year.

The reason to run for this time is that many of the physiological adaptations you are trying to achieve through training don't start to happen until you have been running for at least 90 minutes. The most important of these include depleting glycogen stores to the point that the body begins to store more and exhausting type 1 muscle fibers so that the body begins to recruit and train type 2 fibers. By exhausting and training these muscle fibers over time the body will compensate by increasing the size and number of mitochondria in the muscle cells. The mitochondria converts fat and glycogen to energy so the more you have and the bigger they are the faster and longer you will run.

Another adaptation is that you will develop more blood vessels surrounding the muscle tissue and get increased blood volume. This allows your body to transport greater amounts of oxygen to the muscles which allows for greater amounts of aerobic energy conversion and results in, once again, running faster and longer.

Why stop at 2 to 2.5 hours? You begin reaping these benefits at around 90 minutes and gain a lot in the next 30 to 60 minutes. While benefits continue past that time, those benefits have to be weighed against the recovery time needed for running 3, 4 , or 5 hours. For a weekly training event that recovery time is too long as it impacts greatly on the ability to train the rest of the week. Save the really long ones for the late stages of marathon training if you really want to do them.

The best thing about a weekly long run is that you will continue to gain aerobic adaptations (i.e. get better at running) for at least 7 to 10 years. If you are not running pretty high weekly mileage at the same time then the improvements will probably last longer than that. Even better, it doesn't matter how old you are when you start. Those improvements will still come for years. Add a weekly or bi-weekly long run to your schedule and you will be surprised at what you will be able to do.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's a common problem but you really will benefit more by running longer at a moderate pace. If you have a HRM stay below 80% max. Even if you can go harder it will not gain you extra benefit but will make you more tired and compromise other runs during the week. In fact, by running too hard you will not train the slow twitch muscle fibers which are the primary target of this run.

Here is something I wrote on the benefits of the long run.

The long run. Anyone running races 5k and up should be doing a weekly long run of 2 to 2.5 hours. Distance is not important and the pace should be easy. Just run comfortably and when the time runs out then stop. If you cover 10 miles that's great. If you cover 20 miles, well, then you probably ran in the Olympics last year.

The reason to run for this time is that many of the physiological adaptations you are trying to achieve through training don't start to happen until you have been running for at least 90 minutes. The most important of these include depleting glycogen stores to the point that the body begins to store more and exhausting type 1 muscle fibers so that the body begins to recruit and train type 2 fibers. By exhausting and training these muscle fibers over time the body will compensate by increasing the size and number of mitochondria in the muscle cells. The mitochondria converts fat and glycogen to energy so the more you have and the bigger they are the faster and longer you will run.

Another adaptation is that you will develop more blood vessels surrounding the muscle tissue and get increased blood volume. This allows your body to transport greater amounts of oxygen to the muscles which allows for greater amounts of aerobic energy conversion and results in, once again, running faster and longer.

Why stop at 2 to 2.5 hours? You begin reaping these benefits at around 90 minutes and gain a lot in the next 30 to 60 minutes. While benefits continue past that time, those benefits have to be weighed against the recovery time needed for running 3, 4 , or 5 hours. For a weekly training event that recovery time is too long as it impacts greatly on the ability to train the rest of the week. Save the really long ones for the late stages of marathon training if you really want to do them.

The best thing about a weekly long run is that you will continue to gain aerobic adaptations (i.e. get better at running) for at least 7 to 10 years. If you are not running pretty high weekly mileage at the same time then the improvements will probably last longer than that. Even better, it doesn't matter how old you are when you start. Those improvements will still come for years. Add a weekly or bi-weekly long run to your schedule and you will be surprised at what you will be able to do.

Do you use just a formula to find max HR or is there a better way to determine?
  • scottb81
    Options
    The max HR formula will get you in the ballpark but it is possible for a person's HR to be quite a bit above or below what the formula says. It is best to determine your real max HR in a race or by test.

If you run a 5K max effort your HR at the end is probably at max or not more than a few beats below. You can also self administer a max HR test - http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm2.htm