How I got going and stay going!

Options
Hi Team,

I have been motivated my a lot of you, whose stories of successes, challenges and frustrations have resonated with me on such a personal level. If I have the opportunity to do the same for anyone else, I feel obligated to my teammates to do the same.

MY MOTTOS:
1. I am responsible for settting myself up for success.
2. Newton’s 1st Law: An object in motion stays in motion, an object at rest stays at rest.

EATING: The eating part seems like such a monumental task to accomplish. Taking it one day at a time, as a person with any addiction would, seems to be the advice that has helped me the most. I treat every day like I have addiction, a compulsion to eat things that aren't healthy and every day it takes willpower I never knew I had to make it through without succumbing to those addictions. As a way to measure progress, instead of “6 days sober,” I’m tracking it and calling it “6 days strong.” It is a comparison to a common addiction that I take very seriously.

SUPPORT: I've also surrounded myself with people that will help me stay accountable...nutritionist, trainer, friends that support me. I've had to let go of friends who didn't share in this goal with me. If they wanted to be social while overeating, we stopped hanging out. I have shared my goal with everyone and have been honest and accountable for how I got to this point. It was and is refreshing. I may have lost some friends, but I have also had a number of friends reach out and say, "We need to catch up! Want to meet for a walk?" If someone asked me out to grab a bite, I’d suggest a walk or coffee and stress my goals and what I’d like to accomplish. As it turns out, lots of people respect that and want to help.

SOCIALIZING: I NEVER turn down an opportunity to socialize while doing something active. Whether it is a walk or a group class, if I am not at work or with my family, I take everyone up on their offer to meet up and do something healthy. At first I thought I’d have to cut out social time because people only wanted to eat. My mom had to point out that by doing that, I’d only get more depressed and I would lean on food. She was right! That is not what I wanted to accomplish! I am a social person so that initial plan would have most certainly backfired. So, I adjusted my view of social events and for now, I have chosen to surround myself with people who are supportive of my goals and life choices.

READING: Books I would recommend that have been instrumental in getting me started:
1. The Willpower Instinct – reminds me that willpower is a muscle. You cannot get stronger/better at it without practicing it every day.
2. Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us – I found that if I was more aware of the “tricks” that were played on me when it comes to food, the more prepared I was to avoid those foods completely or exercise willpower and resist taking that first bite of them.

I am now 28 days strong. I’ve maintained sustainable eating habits thanks to the guidance and help from those I’ve surrounded myself with. I live every day knowing that I have to stay “in motion” or I’ll end up “at rest.” I expend effort every single day making sure I’m not giving up on myself, my goals and my health.

Thanks for all of your stories of struggles, successes and motivation! Keep it up, Team!

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    Thanks for these deep thought and inspirational messages. I really loved reading it and will keep this for future use when I get a little depressed or unmotivated. I agree that food addiction is like alcohol addiction. i have given up drinking wine every day and save this for special occasions. I have been maintaining for 9 months and find this harder than losing. At least summer is here and I can go out, golf, yard work etc.
  • Sweetpea518
    Sweetpea518 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Team,

I have been motivated my a lot of you, whose stories of successes, challenges and frustrations have resonated with me on such a personal level. If I have the opportunity to do the same for anyone else, I feel obligated to my teammates to do the same.

MY MOTTOS:
    1. I am responsible for settting myself up for success.
    2. Newton’s 1st Law: An object in motion stays in motion, an object at rest stays at rest.

EATING: The eating part seems like such a monumental task to accomplish. Taking it one day at a time, as a person with any addiction would, seems to be the advice that has helped me the most. I treat every day like I have addiction, a compulsion to eat things that aren't healthy and every day it takes willpower I never knew I had to make it through without succumbing to those addictions. As a way to measure progress, instead of “6 days sober,” I’m tracking it and calling it “6 days strong.” It is a comparison to a common addiction that I take very seriously.

SUPPORT: I've also surrounded myself with people that will help me stay accountable...nutritionist, trainer, friends that support me. I've had to let go of friends who didn't share in this goal with me. If they wanted to be social while overeating, we stopped hanging out. I have shared my goal with everyone and have been honest and accountable for how I got to this point. It was and is refreshing. I may have lost some friends, but I have also had a number of friends reach out and say, "We need to catch up! Want to meet for a walk?" If someone asked me out to grab a bite, I’d suggest a walk or coffee and stress my goals and what I’d like to accomplish. As it turns out, lots of people respect that and want to help.

SOCIALIZING: I NEVER turn down an opportunity to socialize while doing something active. Whether it is a walk or a group class, if I am not at work or with my family, I take everyone up on their offer to meet up and do something healthy. At first I thought I’d have to cut out social time because people only wanted to eat. My mom had to point out that by doing that, I’d only get more depressed and I would lean on food. She was right! That is not what I wanted to accomplish! I am a social person so that initial plan would have most certainly backfired. So, I adjusted my view of social events and for now, I have chosen to surround myself with people who are supportive of my goals and life choices.

READING: Books I would recommend that have been instrumental in getting me started:
    1. The Willpower Instinct – reminds me that willpower is a muscle. You cannot get stronger/better at it without practicing it every day.
    2. Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us – I found that if I was more aware of the “tricks” that were played on me when it comes to food, the more prepared I was to avoid those foods completely or exercise willpower and resist taking that first bite of them.

I am now 28 days strong. I’ve maintained sustainable eating habits thanks to the guidance and help from those I’ve surrounded myself with. I live every day knowing that I have to stay “in motion” or I’ll end up “at rest.” I expend effort every single day making sure I’m not giving up on myself, my goals and my health.

Thanks for all of your stories of struggles, successes and motivation! Keep it up, Team!

This was GREAT! Thanks