Protein bars as meal replacers? Yay? or Nah?

Options
Elly115
Elly115 Posts: 27 Member
Just curious what people though of replacing meals with protein bars? and what some popular/'healthy" brands you guys buy? Was going to look into Quest bars?

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I use CLIF Builder's Bars as meal replacements once in a while. Or regular CLIF bars, though they don't have a lot of protein.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well as tasty as some of them are, they can be high in calories, and I prefer to have a meal
    where I feel more satisfied. The bars feel more like a snack to me. If on the go they are definitely better than
    fast food options and if they keep you on track - they are good to have around "just in case". I sometimes take
    one with me if I know I will not be able to eat. This prevents me from over eating at my next meal.
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Partial to a whey protein shake myself but always find that the bars are loaded with sugar!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Only if I am in a serious rush and NO time for breakfast - on occasion.....

Otherwise, NO - eat food - there is no way a protein bar can taste as good as a nice steak...:flowerforyou: The only ones I like are the Atkins bars and Zone bars (which I can't find anymore...) The others taste like chocolate/peanutbutter flavoured play dough/clay....Disgusting....

But the are a nice fallback to have handy if life/work gets in the way of having a meal - it will keep you from eating like a starving lion after missing a meal....
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am using the EAS protine bars for my lunches....they are ok...but i will have to try the Clif ones..
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nay most the time. Yes, in an emergency.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I love the Oh Yeah! protein bars. I eat one for breakfast every morning on my way to work.. It keeps me full until lunch. If I get up in time, I will make a protein shake but I usually sleep too late.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Like some of the above, only in an emergency. When I tried, I would find that it wasn't satisfying and would overeat the next meal.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I keep one in my purse and my desk drawer in case of emergencies.
  • Elly115
    Elly115 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm trying up the protein in my diet, having 5/6 smaller meals a day and was thinking I could substitute one meal for a protein bar but apperently I shouldn't? (Emergencies only) I know those quest bars have 15-17g of protein, that what caught my interest. Guess more meal prep for me, yay.... :/ lol
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nah. They don't satisfy.
  • AshleyAnn9
    Options
    I find that protein shakes with whey keep me full. I usually replace one meal per day. And they are delicious.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars have 180-200 calories per bar, 20g of protein & only 2g sugar. Super filling alone and even better with a nice cold glass of milk!

How to take milk out of the house, without having to stop to buy single serving containers: fill a plastic bottle 1/3 of the way with milk, freeze overnight, fill remaining portion in the morning! Yum! Extra protein too!

ETA: I love making shakes as well, but I thought the purpose of the OP was no prep work, either way... ????????
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was at work so I did bring some homemade protein bars.

I think they're more like candy with some whey mixed in, but you can make your own at home that aren't THAT bad.

I made these:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/healthy-inexpensive-meal-replacement-bars/

I used a soy protein that's not so high in calories, and split them into 9 mini bars (instead of 7.5 for the half recipe), so they are only about 80 calories / 8 grams of protein each. Certainly enough to munch on at work!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Not as a meal replacement. I have them on top of my meals as a snack to add calories and protein to my days.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I really like the Atkins bars... they have breakfast lunch dinner and snacks.. Other bars are good if they are extra low on sugar and carbs (which pretty much defeats the protein point of view in my opinion). As far as using as meals... I use them as 'emergency meals and snacks. As a replacement for meals... I say no. You always need your veggies , fruits etc. But Atkins gets my vote for efficiency that tastes ..... Good.:laugh: :wink: :laugh:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Like others said, only a meal replacement in an emergency. I recently picked up a box of Clif Builder snack-size bars. They're half the size of a regular Clif Builder. They have 140 calories and 10g of protein, which is pretty much a perfect afternoon snack for me.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Keep them in the car in case you need a snack on the go for "emergency". Not the best but better than fast food, better than junk food.