Kind of an odd success.

Options
I figured I'd share this story as it began with an attempt to be healthy.

So this past Friday I wanted to ride my bike home as hard as I could since I missed a day of riding due to rain. So I'm doing just that when I spot a Jack Russel Terrier in my path without a leash. I then notice there is not a human around him either. So I hop off my bike and call him over (out of the street.) He came to me and allowed me to check his collar for id. He only had a rabies tag on. So I pet him for a bit and then scoop him up so I can go door to door trying to find out who he belonged to. No luck, nobody knew him.

I didn't want to just leave him because it was very hot (heat index of 105-108) and we were near a very busy intersection. So I called my wife and told her I needed her to pick me up (didn't tell her I had a friend with me. lol) So she got there, greeted us in a very...ahem...wifely way. I then explained the situation to her and that I didn't intend to keep the dog (although I've always said if I ever got a small dog, it'll be a JRT) and that we needed to get him over to the vet to get scanned for a chip.

Too late, the vet was closed, so I had to run over to a national pet mega store who' name rhymes with Petsfart. The nice lady there seemed to be in a rush to get home as they were approaching close but she reluctantly scanned the dog for me after i explained the situation. she then scribbled his chip id # on a piece of paper. The number was invalid :(. She gave me the wrong number because she was in a rush to catch a 9:15 movie or something i guess. So it looks like I'll be having a sleep over.

long story short, the dog was fed scrambled eggs and hot dogs for dinner and had a warm place to sleep. We got to work early that morning 5AM, looking for lost ads on craigslist and pet finder and nothing was there yet. So When my vet opened at 8 we went there, and had the dog scanned again and got the correct number. Called the chip company and they said the dog's chip was not registered. :rolleyes: great. So the vet was able to look up the dog by rabies id tag #. We located his owners and he was back in his owner's arms by 9AM that morning. Success!

So I only burned 300 cal before my ride got cut off but it was worth it to have made sure that little guy was safe and returned home safely.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• HotMommy0609
    HotMommy0609 Posts: 224
    Options
    What a lucky dog! So nice of you!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Having lost one of my dogs recently, I appreciate all that you did! I hadn't updated her chip before moving so she got to us in a roundabout way, too...I definitely learned my lesson :happy:
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I heard that random acts of kindness burn lots of calories, so you're all set!
  • autumn130
    autumn130 Posts: 48
    Options
    I can not tell you how much I LOVE this story!
    I was raised to be an animal lover. Growing up we always had 2-4 pets...usually a mixture of cats and dogs. Needless to say we had our share of runaways... both in and out.
    I am happy to know there are people like you out there! I bet his family was SOOOO happy to have him home :happy:
    Maybe now they should register the chip!!!! :ohwell:
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I heard that random acts of kindness burn lots of calories, so you're all set!

I agree!

The world needs more people who do things like this--we have a psycho cat killer on the loose in my neighborhood, so it's nice to see that someone would care enough to go to the trouble of keeping the dog safe and feeding him breakfast before returning him safe and sound to the owner.

Thanks for being awesome!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :heart: Wonderful Story:heart: Cutting your ride early was well worth it to this little guy (and his pup-parents)... Thank you!!!:bigsmile:
  • ccprincess
    ccprincess Posts: 10
    Options
    This is such a lovely story! It made me :smile: x
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Very sweet!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!