Mac n' Cheese!

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
If you have a kick butt homemade Mac n' Cheese recipe, please share!!! None of that low-fat stuff.... I want the real thing :)

I've never made it, but I think the shrimp boil calls for Mac n' Cheese.

Replies

• oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i don't have a recipe, but look up some with several different types of REAL cheeses.. . i've made one before but i don't have the recipe anymore.. try paula deen recipes!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Anytime I've tried to homemake it, it dries out soo quickly :(. Even following the directions exactly (the last time was this past Christmas, I used an Allrecipe 5-star recipe ~ I topped it with fresh lobster and was soo excited to serve to my guests ~ I trusted this new recipe would be moist ~ nope).

For me there's just nothing like good ole Kraft in a box LOL
  • odusgolp
    Options
    i don't have a recipe, but look up some with several different types of REAL cheeses.. . i've made one before but i don't have the recipe anymore.. try paula deen recipes!

Oh good call... woman loves her butter & cheese.

Ingredients
    2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
    2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Directions
    Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy anymore, but if someone put Martha Stewart's mac and cheese in front of me, there's no way I could resist. This stuff is TO DIE FOR.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/05/marthas-macaroni-and-cheese/
  • caribear1984
    Options
    http://www.recipelion.com/Pasta/Top-10-Macaroni-and-Cheese-Recipes

The Grandma Leen's Mac and Ham Casserole is our favorite.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I don't eat dairy anymore, but if someone put Martha Stewart's mac and cheese in front of me, there's no way I could resist. This stuff is TO DIE FOR.

*drooling* that looks AMAZING!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Melt 2 T Butter in a pan. Add 2 T flour and whisk to make a rue. Whisk in 2 cups of warm milk and pinch of ground nutmeg. Bring to a boil while stirring to make a smooth sauce. Remove from heat. Add 2/3 c. Cheddar and 2/3 c. Swiss (grated). Stir until melted then stir in 8 ounces cooked macaroni (or other pasta). Transfer to buttered ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with 3 T. grated Parmesan and heat under broiler until golden brown.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Oh my god I hate you. That looks sooo freaking good!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is my GO TO mac and cheese!

Vanessa Williams's (Teri Joseph's) Macaroni 'n Cheese
    (6 to 8 generous servings)
    2 tablespoons butter, plus butter for the casserole dish
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 1/2 cups milk
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
    1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
    8 ounces elbow macaroni
    1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon paprika

Butter a 2-quart casserole dish. Set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and then remove from the heat. Blend in flour, salt and mustard. Add milk and return to the stove over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens a little and is smooth. Add 1 1/2 cups of the Cheddar cheese and all of the Gouda and heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and combine with the cheese sauce in the prepared dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, bread crumbs and paprika. Bake at 375 degrees about 25 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbly.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you want to stick with a theme, do in New Orleans style! http://cafereconcile.org/whats-new/recipe-of-the-month-baked-mac-cheese
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I'm so busting out the Annies shells & cheese when I get home *drooling*

Then again, maybe I should test out one of these recipes before the event.... hrmmm...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    really theres like 593 calories in a cup of homade mac and chees e plus the shrimp and whateever else u are putting it
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    mmmm droool....
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    really theres like 593 calories in a cup of homade mac and chees e plus the shrimp and whateever else u are putting it
    find another thread debbie downer!:explode:
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Melt 2 T Butter in a pan. Add 2 T flour and whisk to make a rue. Whisk in 2 cups of warm milk and pinch of ground nutmeg. Bring to a boil while stirring to make a smooth sauce. Remove from heat. Add 2/3 c. Cheddar and 2/3 c. Swiss (grated). Stir until melted then stir in 8 ounces cooked macaroni (or other pasta). Transfer to buttered ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with 3 T. grated Parmesan and heat under broiler until golden brown.
    Yum! Very similar to what I do, and extra creamy since it isn't baked. I often add a teaspoon of dry mustard, and swap in something else (Muenster, Monterey Jack) for the Swiss, which I'm not crazy for.

And it might be heresy, but if you add even a small amount of processed cheese--a slice or two of Kraft, a quarter cup of Cheez Whiz--the sauce comes out creamier and the real cheeses don't separate.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    My mom makes amazing Mac and Cheese! But, I'm going to be honest. Some days there is just nothing better than Kraft Mac and Cheese from the box....with Hot dogs! :love:
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Bumping.... because I always love a good plate of (real) mac n cheese.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I need to look at these recipes when I am at home. Love home made mac n cheese (even though my roux never gets as thick as I'd like).