Outdoor Gyms

Options
Gave the outdoor gym at our local dog walk a go yesterday, it was great fun... But does this really count as exercise?
At ours we had an outdoor eliptical trainer, easy walker and a plate thing you swivelled on! Are these as usefull as real gym equipment or a fun waste of time?

Replies

• Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Anyone
  • ciaobelly
    ciaobelly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I see one when I'm on the tram. Never tried it though. Must be very pleasant indeed although I'd be self-conscious about being watched.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Only folk to watch us are fishermen as its beside the lake as well in a very quiet rural locatation
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Im not sure on them being as good as actual gyms, but i sure wished we had some round here! Anything that you do body-weight work on is going to be as good as doing body-weight at a gym in theory. im scouting local play parks for kids equipment i can use to do body-weight exercises on like pull ups :D
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It depends on how strong you are. Most of the outdoor gyms use your weight as a counterbalance so you are limited by what you weigh and how strong you are. If you are fairly strong (30 push ups without stopping, 10 pull ups, 20 sit ups) it won't really do anything for you at all unless you do a lot of reps. But if you are not strong yes it will be a good work out.

They had some outdoor gyms in Australia and I used them when I was traveling around. I was hammering the pull ups bars.

Koing
  • itsnojokeanymore
    Options
    i love my local park gym- i go dog walking and go on it every day