Birth Control and Weight Gain

Options
2»

Replies

• iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    Prednisone makes you gain!!! When I was little I was on prednisone and it makes you hungry all the time! Which leads to weight gain. And it just bloats you up -_- being off of prednisone should help!
  • movu101779
    Options
    I have been on the BC pill when I was a teen for personal issues. I am now on the patch. Neither one of them made me gain weight. What I have gained and now trying to lose is due to poor diet and not moving around enough. I have also had a child when I took myself off of BC and I also quit smoking. The BC has nothing to do with gaining weight.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If I offered you a glass of milk and told you it was laced with hormones, would you drink it? Weight gain is just one of the side effects of the pill, others are a lot more serious, including a much higher risk of blood clots.
    I really hate milk, but if the glass of milk laced with hormones you gave me ensured I couldn't get pregnant, PLUS regulated my period to the ability to stop it completely where wanted, made it much less unpleasant when it was allowed, and had a few other possible benefits, I'd sure as hell drink it! Especially when the only proven downside is a slightly higher risk of blood clots (very very slightly higher, as long as you're not also a smoker or have other related risks).
    Weight gain, however, has been very very thoroughly debunked as a side effect. If you go on the pill and gain weight, it's an excuse.

In the OP's case, the Prednisone is an obvious culprit that IS backed up by science.
  • Fjcookie
    Fjcookie Posts: 48
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!