How do I add weights?

Options
I'm a relative newbie. I have been doing cardio (walking and elliptical), but no strength training. I have been fairly sedentary until last month. Today for work, I and 2 of my sons moved over 60 boxes of books weighing at least 15 pounds each. Around 16 had to be moved from one building to another. We didn't have a cart. This is not normal activity for me. Should I try to log it? I couldn't even figure out how to add it. Everything I put into the database came up with no response. I started thinking that maybe I was ready to try weight training too, but wouldn't know how to log it. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a relative newbie. I have been doing cardio (walking and elliptical), but no strength training. I have been fairly sedentary until last month. Today for work, I and 2 of my sons moved over 60 boxes of books weighing at least 15 pounds each. Around 16 had to be moved from one building to another. We didn't have a cart. This is not normal activity for me. Should I try to log it? I couldn't even figure out how to add it. Everything I put into the database came up with no response. I started thinking that maybe I was ready to try weight training too, but wouldn't know how to log it. Thanks for your help.

I put my strength training workout in the cardio section and i just make sure it says strength training. That way you get the calories burned from it also.
  • ml8801
    ml8801 Posts: 5
    Options
    Do you want to log it under strength training just to record it, or are you wanting to track it for the calories burned? If you're tracking it for strength training, you might check under "cleaning" and options like 'light/moderate/heavy' will come up for you to choose from. I know it's there under cardiovascular,which, if you track it there you could see an estimate of calories burned. Hope that was somewhat helpful!
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I didn't know I could add it under cardio. I did want to know calories too.
  • ml8801
    ml8801 Posts: 5
    Options
    You probably burned quite a few, and that's always motivating to see it in black and white. :)
  • LilMizzSunshine
    Options
    Another way to make the weight work count is getting a calorie counting watch. I've heard on MFP that you can purchase them a sporting good stores. I want one myself. I personally, mix my weight training with cardio 2 days a week; using The Firm DVD set. I am a newbie too and I can keep up, but it has taken practice. Keep up the good work. =)