Worried about strength training and low calories.

Options
Hiya
I've been going to the gym now for about 3 months for 3 times a week. At first it was slow going process, I would lift for about 30 mins then do 30 mins of cardio all while keeping a 1600 calorie diet. I am now spending about an hour and a half on strength training 3 days a week and 30 mins of cardio 6 times a week. All still on a 1600 calorie diet. In 19 days I managed to drop 12 lbs of fat and add 10 lbs of lean body mass. My concerns have to do with long term. Do I need to slowly raise my calorie intake to compensate for the increasing amount of time with weights? Supplements or continue on the same goal and diet that seems to work so far? I fear the plateau..

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    19 days is impressive. how did you measure this.
  • LindaEmrys
    LindaEmrys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can't answer all of your questions, but what I do know is that muscles burn more calories than fat. For each pound of muscle you gain, you should add 30-35 calories to your current calorie goal. That way, your body will continue developing more muscle mass instead of plateauing (is that even a word?) I'm no expert, but if I were you I would slowly (SLOWLY!) increase your calorie intake but continue your current eating habits. Also, well done on your progress so far! =)
  • ktownchik2005
    ktownchik2005 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As your workouts get harder you need to increase your calorie intake. You need those calories to form healthy muscle. I read somewhere that if you are not eating enough calories then your body starts in on all those nice muscles your trying to form. Your body needs energy, give it what it wants;)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    How do you know you lost 12 lbs of fat and gained 10 lbs of LBM?
  • kevinpruitt
    kevinpruitt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How do you know you lost 12 lbs of fat and gained 10 lbs of LBM?

The doctor...I've been going once a week, this is the print out I get after being weighed..I compared 2 print outs which were 19 days apart. I could very well be wrong, if I knew the answers I wouldn't be posting questions here :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i sounded crass and did not mean to. Losing 12 lbs of body fat in 19 days is possible. Gaining 10 lbs of LBM in 19 days is highly improbable. Muscle just doesn't grow that fast. And definitely not in a deficit. How is the doctor measuring your BF% and LBM? I dream of adding 10 lbs of LBM and I have been lifting a lot for a year. Haven't gained one ounce of LBM but I am 150% stronger and my BF% has gone from 36 to 17. Just no additional muscle.

But to your query, I would up your calories. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE on the scooby site? That thing is darn accurate. You should eat AT LEAST your BMR in calories every day. And based on your activity level, a lot more than that. That will help you maintain a healthy weight loss slope and facilitate strength and maybe even muscle growth.

Tom
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    ^ agree. it doesn't seem possible to pack on that much LBM in such a short amount of time, ESPECIALLY on a deficit. How did you doctor calculate this?
  • kevinpruitt
    Options
    I too am a bit skeptical about the LBM in such a short amount of time. The calculations came from some weird looking scale that I had to get all but naked to stand on. I was told it was only accurate if I were consistent with the weigh ins and I get this handy dandy little print out . Honestly I have no idea how accurate this thing is, I was just sharing my results. This is my first experience using a doctor and nutritionist to diet so I have tried to follow by the book, but when i originally started there I don't think they had any clue as to the amount of physical activity I would eventually work up too.
    Tom, I'm embarrassed to say that I had to go look up TDEE....but now I know. Honestly it confuses me even more considering the gap between my TDEE and what the doctor has suggested.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised the doctor put you on so few calories. Do you have a health issue that necessitates losing a lot of weight quickly?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This link is a really good place to start-- very easy to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • kevinpruitt
    Options
    I'm surprised the doctor put you on so few calories. Do you have a health issue that necessitates losing a lot of weight quickly?
    Other than being over weight, not really...No blood pressure problems, heart problems ect ect ...thanks for the link, i'll give it a gander
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Those scales use bio-impedance. They are not that accurate. They vary fairly wildly based on hydration level, for one. I have one -- it's expensive and uses the same technology as the super-expensive ones in the doctor's office -- even has hand grips and not just feet plates. It claims my body fat % varies by as much as 5% within one week's time. It's assuming but highly unlikely.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It took me a year of hard work and good diet to gain 10 pounds of muscle.
  • kevinpruitt
    Options
    Those scales use bio-impedance. They are not that accurate. They vary fairly wildly based on hydration level, for one. I have one -- it's expensive and uses the same technology as the super-expensive ones in the doctor's office -- even has hand grips and not just feet plates. It claims my body fat % varies by as much as 5% within one week's time. It's assuming but highly unlikely.
    Thanks Mac, this definitely sheds some light on why I would think I had such a large LBM gain in such a short amount of time.

Some other questions to those much more experienced in the matter than I.
    I'm confused about post workout snacks. Normally before strength training nights I would have a decent amount of protein( most times raw tuna, baked salmon or grilled chicken) but I have been seeing more and more about post workout snacks. Should I be eating a post workout snack while dieting ? If so, I would love some examples.
    Sorry for all the noob questions.
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    I like to have a protein shake within 2-3 hours of my lifting. Just make sure your getting enough protein all day. That's what really counts.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    10 lbs of LBM in 19 days, lol. I would find a new doc.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There are many calculators out there including the one on this site for setting up calories and macros.

Here is a very good source of info on the subject.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

As for the LBM gain you have to remember that those test are wildly inaccurate and also LBM includes everything that is not FAT. This means water, waste, bone, muscle, organs, hair and so on. As long as you are doing some full body resistance training and have a moderate calorie deficit you should be losing almost exclusively body fat.

The average male with a calorie surplus, balanced macros and an optimal lifting program can gain 1-2 lbs of muscle per month. Much less for those that are older, female, veteran lifters and almost impossible for those on a deficit.

With a lot of cardio, excessive lifting and a huge deficit you could be burning up muscle as part of your weight loss. Fast weight loss is not always better.