Shirataki Noodles - 20 kcal/4 ounce serving

Options
So,
I came across an add for these yesterday and had to try them. Extremely low cal, high fiber, gluten free, a bulky food with virtually no calories. I bought some at Safeway last night (by the tofu section, named "Zero Pasta").

Beware, they have an earthy odor out of the package, but it rinses off with hot water. I rinsed them and threw them into a pan to "dry" a bit (just to remove some of the excess water). The noodles have no flavor on their own and absorb whatever flavor a broth or sauce has. Firmer/chewier than normal pasta. Threw them into a Tikki Masala Curry sauce with some chicken. Have to say they work as a good pasta substitute and if no one knew it wasn't normal pasta, I think they would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

Google or Bing "Shirataki noodles" to get the full skinny on them. I am really fond of noodles and I think this is a way to bring it back into my life.

Chris

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I eat shiratake noodles in a soup. Went to the local asian grocery store and picked up some packs for 99c, says 0 calories so it must be under 5 calories. They definitely have no flavor on their own but in a homemade soup broth with meat and veggies, I enjoy it.

Some people make spaghetti with it as a pasta substitute because of the low calories but, it just looks disgusting to me like that. The consistency/texture of shiratake noodles should not be used in that manner in my opinion.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was going to hit the Asian mall this week. I was thinking of using it more as a substitute for Asian noodle dishes, but I think if it is covered with a lot of sauce, it could pass for spaghetti. I'll try it and let you all know.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't like those.... every time I've tried them (about 3)... they've looked exactly the same going in as they do coming out if you catch my drift.... quite disturbing the first time that happens.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, they are mostly soluble fiber - lol

Guess I need to chew before I swallow
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't like those.... every time I've tried them (about 3)... they've looked exactly the same going in as they do coming out if you catch my drift.... quite disturbing the first time that happens.

LMAOFF!! OH MY
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OK, I've read about these for a while but just came across them in the store yesterday. So, I bought a bag to have for lunch today as I had some leftover spaghetti sauce in the fridge (the ones I bought were spaghetti noodle style).

I read several comments - rinsed them well to get rid of the smell, dried them. Put them in a pan w/ some olive oil and garlic, added some italian seasonings. Added the spaghetti sauce -warmed it all up. The spaghetti sauce tasted fine w/ spaghetti the other day, but with these noodles, it seems that the noodles sucked all the flavor out of the sauce.

I had to add salt and garlic powder TWICE to find some flavor.

The noodles tasted relatively OK - not slimy or smelly. The texture was a little odd - kind of like a mushroom. I decided that using them w/ spaghetti would not work in the future, but these would work where you expects: in a stir fry. I like a good stir fry, as it is a great way to get lots of veggies in a big, filling meal. However, I love my rice with a stir fry, and that always leads to calorie problems. I can see adding these noodles into a stir fry and having a very satisfying meal with much fewer calories.

The bag did cost me $4, though. I would like to find them for the cheap prices people post on here...
  • emilylanham917
    emilylanham917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I purchased the "miracle noodles" on Amazon last month, I was a little scared to try them once I got them, but surprisingly, they are pretty good! I really lied the rice kind. For a pasta lover, these are a lifesaver and they fill you up!
  • emilylanham917
    emilylanham917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried the miracle noodle kind with spaghetti and it really wasn't bad. I've never seen any other brand, but the ones I had said to rinse, then flash boil and add to food and they are supposed to take on the flavor of the liquids you are combining them with. If you wanted to try them with spaghetti, I'd suggest trying this brand.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    These are amazing as a pasta! They are even more amazing as a pasta substitute when one is cutting/dieting since, as already mentioned, they fill you up like traditional spaghetti would. I just wish I would have discovered these a lot sooner.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I just got the "Miracle Noodles" which are zero cals a couple days ago and really love them. The key to getting rid of the fungky scent is to rinse the noodles in HOT water after you take them out of the package. Do that for about 2 minutes. Once that's done, put them in a colandar to get rid of the water and then put them on a hot frying pan (sprayed w/cooking spray). I fry them for a couple minutes before adding stuff like tomatoes, garlic, onions, a little soy sauce. I sautee for another 5-7 minutes, then take them off of the heat and add some feta cheese, or whatever sauce I feel like. Pretty darn good!