Scared to stand on the scale!!!

Options
So, im a few days into this thing (A week this coming Sunday) and im scared to stand on the scale. I was thinking I would only weigh- in monthly, so that I can see a real weight loss. I'm scared that if I weigh myself too soon, I may not have lost anything, and lose my motivation. What should I do??

Replies

• Whadevah
    Whadevah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found the best time to weigh myself is the first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and prior to eating and drinking anything. If you get a starting point weight, you know what you are leaving behind and it is easier to see your goal. If you don't lose anything immediately, don't worry. We all gained weight a little at a time, not overnight. It usually leaves that way, too.
  • Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have found the best time to weigh myself is the first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and prior to eating and drinking anything. If you get a starting point weight, you know what you are leaving behind and it is easier to see your goal. If you don't lose anything immediately, don't worry. We all gained weight a little at a time, not overnight. It usually leaves that way, too.
    Thanks, I'll try to remember that!!
  • Leesel66
    Leesel66 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was the same this morning as it was my first weigh in, as Whadevah said, i weighed myself first thing this morning and surprised myself with a 3.2kg loss. I have decided to weigh in weekly but take my measurements monthly. Do what you feel is right for you but seeing the numbers roll back is a good incentive to reach your goal.

I'm new so feel few to add me as a friend.

Lisa
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The scale is a mere, imperfect tool to help assess a trend. It you got on the scale 4 different time in a day each time you'd likely weigh something different. The number on the scale WILL fluctuate.. And the closer and closer you get to GW the less it will move, down... Fluctuations, stalling out/plateauing are all totally normal.
    Dont let the scale scare you. Whether you get on the scale or not, you will still weight whatever it is you weigh that particular day and time. The difference will be if you know that number or not. I say get on the scale. Knowledge is power. The number on the scale can help you assess if what you're doing is supporting or impeding your goal to loose fat (not just weight).
    I recall over the past holiday deciding i was going to just eat what i wanted for thee special occasion events over 4 days. I weighed myself the morning before event number one. I kept on my same weighing schedule of twice per week. After my 4th day i contemplated not getting on the scale as I KNEW i had put on a few pounds. But, i decided it was important to see how my body handled certain situations such as this and how long it would take me to lose anything i may have gained. I got on the scale totally prepared to see a 3-4 pound weight gain... Instead it was 10 pounds!, yes TEN in 4 days! I got on and off the scale several times thinking something had to be wrong.. It wasn't, it was right. Oddly, my clothes still fit and despite feeling a bit bloated i looked and felt the same.
    The next day i returned to my healthier eating and working out. I got back on the scale another 4 days later.. And guess what? Te entire 10 pounds was gone... GONE... All of it, not even a 1/10 of a pound was hanging around.
    That was a great learning experience for me. It helped me not freak out about small scale fluctuations, helped me learn how my body responds to over eating and how quickly my body will regulate itself once i return back to my healthier lifestyle..
    I hope you remember your scale and the number on it is just ONE number ... It does not define you, confine you or determine if you are a success or a failure... Good luck!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I was the same this morning as it was my first weigh in, as Whadevah said, i weighed myself first thing this morning and surprised myself with a 3.2kg loss. I have decided to weigh in weekly but take my measurements monthly. Do what you feel is right for you but seeing the numbers roll back is a good incentive to reach your goal.

I'm new so feel few to add me as a friend.

Lisa
    Thanks Lisa!! I'm new too! I will add you and we can motivate each other!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    The scale is a mere, imperfect tool to help assess a trend. It you got on the scale 4 different time in a day each time you'd likely weigh something different. The number on the scale WILL fluctuate.. And the closer and closer you get to GW the less it will move, down... Fluctuations, stalling out/plateauing are all totally normal.
    Dont let the scale scare you. Whether you get on the scale or not, you will still weight whatever it is you weigh that particular day and time. The difference will be if you know that number or not. I say get on the scale. Knowledge is power. The number on the scale can help you assess if what you're doing is supporting or impeding your goal to loose fat (not just weight).
    I recall over the past holiday deciding i was going to just eat what i wanted for thee special occasion events over 4 days. I weighed myself the morning before event number one. I kept on my same weighing schedule of twice per week. After my 4th day i contemplated not getting on the scale as I KNEW i had put on a few pounds. But, i decided it was important to see how my body handled certain situations such as this and how long it would take me to lose anything i may have gained. I got on the scale totally prepared to see a 3-4 pound weight gain... Instead it was 10 pounds!, yes TEN in 4 days! I got on and off the scale several times thinking something had to be wrong.. It wasn't, it was right. Oddly, my clothes still fit and despite feeling a bit bloated i looked and felt the same.
    The next day i returned to my healthier eating and working out. I got back on the scale another 4 days later.. And guess what? Te entire 10 pounds was gone... GONE... All of it, not even a 1/10 of a pound was hanging around.
    That was a great learning experience for me. It helped me not freak out about small scale fluctuations, helped me learn how my body responds to over eating and how quickly my body will regulate itself once i return back to my healthier lifestyle..
    I hope you remember your scale and the number on it is just ONE number ... It does not define you, confine you or determine if you are a success or a failure... Good luck!
    Thank You!!
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    Hi, I used to weigh in daily and still do. I know I am obsessive but hey to each their own journey. If you see or feel that weighing in once a week, once a month, or once a day works do that. I usually do pick a day of the week mine is Sunday and weigh in first thing and say that is my official weight. Then I get to start Monday with a new mini weight goal that I wish to reach. Hope you find what works for you its all about trial and error on our journey.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Havent read all the other replies so sorry if it's been said, but how about measuring yourself (chest, waist, hips, thighs etc) now and re measuring again in a month as a starting point? I feel your pain as this is exactly how I felt when I first decided to lose weight. It will get better, its just the initial push that is hard. Best of luck x
  • prozac5489
    Options
    I'm new at this, too, and I've actually found it incredibly motivating to step on the scale every morning (after eliminations and before eating/drinking) and recording my weight. That one little action gives me just the motivation I need to say no to a cookie or to go outside for a walk. It's like every day, I'm re-committing to the changes I'm making in my life. I need to stand on that scale! It's like putting on my fitness armor.

I've experienced my fair share of stepping on the scale and seeing no change from the previous day, or--worse--a gain. But you know? When I take the weekly average of my daily weigh-ins, I find that I am, in fact, losing weight. And as a plus, this averaging practice means I'm eliminating the risk of weighing myself on an aberrantly heavy day and skewing the real weight loss!
  • Leesel66
    Options
  • Leesel66
    Options
    I done think I'm using this right, that's how new I am but thanks this post is really insightful and one I will remember about the special occasions. I won't be afraid of the scales
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    Here's the thing. I waited a couple weeks at the very beginning of my weight loss journey too, because I also was scared to look on the scale, but I really regret it now because I've come so far that I wish I knew where my REAL "beginning weight" was and could tell people exactly how much I've lost.

Now I weigh myself every morning after peeing and before doing anything else. I know other people don't recommend this, but it's what works for me. I keep a graph up on the wall with dates in the left hand column, and the following rows: Weight - Diet? - H2O? - Exercise? ...Every morning, then, I put in my weight for that day, and checks or minuses for whether I kept to my diet, drank enough water, and/or exercised the day before. Doing this over time keeps me accountable, I get to see what things have the biggest impact (I've found that consistent diet and water have a bigger impact than exercise, but all 3 play a part), I don't get bogged down by small day-to-day fluctuations, and I can keep myself accountable long-term.

To date, I've lost 41 pounds from the weight that I was when I really did step on the scale the first time. If I'd stepped on the scale at the very beginning, I really think that number would be higher, but I'll never know. I guess what I'm saying is: the farther you have to go in the beginning, the farther you'll have come in the end, which you can be proud of.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in every morning. It's helped me get over my aversion to the scales. I LIKE seeing the fluctuations and they motivate me a lot, and really get me thinking about what I'm eating. I get motivated because if it fluctuates up, then I will think more carefully about what I'm eating throughout the day, and if they go down, then I think "wow, I've done really well... I'm not going to stuff my face!"
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Friday mornings. That's it. If I step on the scale every day I know I'd get unjustly discouraged. That's just me though.
  • juneybabe66
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I also joined on Sunday and I'm scared to death I haven't lost any weight. Guess we both have to just bite the bullet.:smile:
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in every morning. It's helped me get over my aversion to the scales. I LIKE seeing the fluctuations and they motivate me a lot, and really get me thinking about what I'm eating. I get motivated because if it fluctuates up, then I will think more carefully about what I'm eating throughout the day, and if they go down, then I think "wow, I've done really well... I'm not going to stuff my face!"

This is how I am now! I was so scared to stand on the scale as well until I realized I could be using it as a motivation. Plus, if you know you're doing well then whatever it says, you still know you're on track to being a healthier you! That is most important! :3
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away and pull it out once every few months, just go by how your clothes feel.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Here's the thing. I waited a couple weeks at the very beginning of my weight loss journey too, because I also was scared to look on the scale, but I really regret it now because I've come so far that I wish I knew where my REAL "beginning weight" was and could tell people exactly how much I've lost.

Now I weigh myself every morning after peeing and before doing anything else. I know other people don't recommend this, but it's what works for me. I keep a graph up on the wall with dates in the left hand column, and the following rows: Weight - Diet? - H2O? - Exercise? ...Every morning, then, I put in my weight for that day, and checks or minuses for whether I kept to my diet, drank enough water, and/or exercised the day before. Doing this over time keeps me accountable, I get to see what things have the biggest impact (I've found that consistent diet and water have a bigger impact than exercise, but all 3 play a part), I don't get bogged down by small day-to-day fluctuations, and I can keep myself accountable long-term.

To date, I've lost 41 pounds from the weight that I was when I really did step on the scale the first time. If I'd stepped on the scale at the very beginning, I really think that number would be higher, but I'll never know. I guess what I'm saying is: the farther you have to go in the beginning, the farther you'll have come in the end, which you can be proud of.
    Thanks!! I did step on the scale in the beginning so I know where my weight began, im just afraid to step on it now. However, I do know my true starting weight and am just scared to see that the number may be the same now after a week in. I am going to give it a try tomorrow (i think!!) so that it will be one week in to the day. Thanks again for your support!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Put the scale away and pull it out once every few months, just go by how your clothes feel.
    I love this idea!!! Thanks!:love:
  • gretchenk77
    Options
    I only wish I could put the scale away, but I can't. I like numbers. Provided those numbers aren't related in any way to my weight.

I'm only on the second day of using this food diary, and already it's been a real eye-opener. I used to wonder why I wasn't losing any weight when I didn't really eat a whole lot. Little did I realize just how many empty calories I was consuming through coffee and coffee-related substances.

Oh well. It's a journey. Best of luck to all of you, and please keep your fingers crossed for me.