What's better...sugar free or fat free?

Options
ladybug1620
ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
I am currently eating a sugar free pudding cup. I got to thinking...they have these same pudding cups available in fat free also. So, if it is the same food but available in sugar free or fat free, then which is the healthier alternative? Which would you choose?

Replies

• mrsmilk00
    mrsmilk00 Posts: 5
    Options
    I buy the sugar free/fat free instant pudding and make it myself - then you get the best of both worlds :)
  • ladybug1620
    Options
    I buy the sugar free/fat free instant pudding and make it myself - then you get the best of both worlds :)
    I'm too lazy for that. lol
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I buy fat free because the sugar substitutes they use in sugar free stuff makes me spend the day in the bathroom :(
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Depends on your goal - I think they are relatively similar in calories so whichever you like better, I say go for!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Check the label, though, in those things that are Fat Free...they generally ADD SUGAR to make up for taste when they eliminate the fat.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Which ever tastes better. After all, it's a treat, isn't it?
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the enemy!

My gym trainer always advises against fat free products because it usually means they are loaded with sugar. Therefore I always opt for the sugar free variety because I'll always burn off the fat. Sugar turns into fat if you don't burn it off.

HOWEVER, be careful when opting for sugar free because it can usually means the product is loaded with sweeteners which can be damaging, especially aspartame.

(I got myself confused writing that so I'm sorry if it confuses you!!)
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    go fat free!
    sugar free foods have scary chemicals in them!!!! :[
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    IMO both are not so great. In moderation whichever tastes better. But if you are only having pudding once every two weeks or whatever why not just eat the regular good stuff?
  • ladybug1620
    Options
    Sugar is the enemy!

My gym trainer always advises against fat free products because it usually means they are loaded with sugar. Therefore I always opt for the sugar free variety because I'll always burn off the fat. Sugar turns into fat if you don't burn it off.

HOWEVER, be careful when opting for sugar free because it can usually means the product is loaded with sweeteners which can be damaging, especially aspartame.

(I got myself confused writing that so I'm sorry if it confuses you!!)
    Exactly what I was wondering. Is it better to have the fat, or to have the artificial sweeteners? I guess it all depends on preference.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Id rather have the fat than the chemical sweetners. But ultimately, its better to just make your own so you know what your getting anyways.

Fat free= loaded with sugar/simple carbs to make up for taste=not good for your blood sugar. Besides, fat is a necessary nutrient, sugar isn't. (In moreration of course.)

Sugar free=loaded up with a concoction of chemicals that may or may not be linked to cancers, etc. Better safe than sorry, I say.

So what I'm sayin is, I don't think either is a "healthy" choice. Just eat the real thing, less often if you must have it.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most foods that advertise themselves as "fat free" or "sugar free" because those are sure fire signs that they are pumped full of preservatives, additives, and artificial flavors. The exception being low dairy products like skim milk, cottage cheese, etc.

If I want a treat like ice cream, etc. I just go for one that has a short list of ingredients that I can pronounce.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    personally i'd avoid sugar free products. My philosophy is that if you are going to eat sugar, just eat the real stuff, at least you know what you are getting (and it isn't a bunch of chemicals). I can't eat sugar substitutes because I think they taste awful (just my personal opinion).

Usually in fat free products they add a bunch of sugar or salt (depending on the type of product). The thing is if you remove something from a product you need to add a bunch of something else to get it to taste good. So its probably best to get the regular pudding as a nice treat instead of sugar or fat free.
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Great question....I've been wondering the same thing! :o)
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go according to calories/taste on this one because either way, you're eating a processed food full of chemicals. Even the fat-free has stuff I can't pronounce in it.
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'm going with sugar free :S fat is needed. maybe not in large quantities but it's still needed. sugar is too easily over done and i don't think people realize it enough.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-effects-of-sugar
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Both suck, but if I'm faced with a choice, it's usually sugar free. Fat, depending on the type, is usually not as bad as it's made to be.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i don't believe in buying either one; if you're going to have it, have it fully loaded, just eat less of it if calories and fat are an issue. there have been numerous studies showing that the fats consumed in milk actually carry other fats out of your body, so it all passes.

that doesn't mean go hog-wild on pudding, but it does mean to not worry about it too much.

even better is to make your own pudding. it's really easy to make and it's a way that i sometimes use milk that i know won't be used before it spoils.