Distress

Options
I have been to severl doctors, they can't help me. I have a problem with food control. I'm like a smoker who can't quit or like someone who is addicted to drugs. I do fine all day, then at home at night I go crazy, it's like I can't get enough food. I'm a bottomless pit. I never get full. I have tried several appept. Suppressants, nothing, I am drinking 8 8 oz waters a day. Eating every 2-3 hours something, but still having issues. Hard to get a workout in with my lifestyle, but working on this. Help?

Replies

• jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try a program like Overeaters Anonymous.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to find myself bingeing on stuff I later found out I was allergic to. For some reason if you are intolerant, it can compel you to eat it. Once I eliminated those foods (wheat, dairy, sugar) I found out that I didn't binge any more. Alternatively it could be a psychological issue where food represents a form of comfort and you eat to satisfy that comfort need. perhaps you could meet that comfort need in another way?
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is obviously something emotional, as you only do it when you're at home away from other people. Try to think about why you eat like that at home and if anything triggers it. Then, if you can, I think you should throw out everything bad in your house that you could eat. At least then if you binge on fruit, whilst it doesn't really solve the problem, it could lessen it for the time being.

Can you try to make yourself busier in the evenings? I find if I'm just at home with little to do I will snack. Try to do a workout video at home perhaps, or join some exercise classes a few nights a week? It doesn't even have to be exercise. I think you just need to take yourself away from the problem whilst you try to solve it. Also if you make yourself busier, when you get home hopefully you'll just be exhausted and go straight to bed, rather than start eating.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    On the days I don't do karate or workout in the afternoon I find hard I now workout more :)))))) I do 10 workout session a week ( yes some days i train twice a day)

I find a cup of tea helps me in the evening

trying eating more vegs, I''ve heard 1/2 you dinner plate should be salad/ vegs

if you are hungry, get up and have a glass of water (yes I know you drink normally 8 day, try having another one or two) and then make yourself wait 10 mins, (go for a walk ( maybe around the garden ) then have something healthy, I saw a quote today it went something like this... if you are not hungry enough to eat an apple you not hungry"

then if your still hungry have another glass of water and wait 10 min go for a walk and then eat another healthy food and keep doing that
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I do the same thing. i do great all day and then every now and then (more lately) I go crazy and eat everything in site. I can stuff myself with 2000 calories and feel like crap. Then it takes a week to get back to "maintenance" weight. I think I am bored and lonely. I know I have this problem and can't seem to stop it. I try tea, hot baths, going to bed early etc. However, every now and then it overcomes me and I binge. I know once I get started, I can't stop . If I don't start, I am ok.
  • KEVERDVM
    KEVERDVM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this but unfortunately there is not one nearby to where I am located.
  • KEVERDVM
    KEVERDVM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will try some of these things. I'm starting to think it is a mental thing. I'm constantly on the go, I usually just start sticking things in on the go and before I know it I eaten tons of things. But I never get full. I chew gum to have that constant something in my mouth. I am never without a bottle of water, I have healthy foods in my home but husband has the junk food, I have spoke with him about eating healthy, but forcing him to do that leads him to McDonalds on his lunch times eating 2 big Macs and large drinks, and who knows what else, then on his way home fast food again so I feel like I'm driving him more of eating junk then he was before. I was going to gym with a trainer 3 days a week and it put such a stress on my family and relationship that I had to stop. I didn't want to cause more of a issue then just myself it was effecting my whole family. So any comments, suggestions anything would be great. Thanks.
  • Joannieisgreat
    Options
    YEP. I think you hit several FACTS here. For me, bored, lonely (not like sad, just aimless) or aggrivated about work, so eating changes that feeling for a couple moments/minutes, then I settle down, but 30 minutes later the cycle starts again. But also, there really are certain foods that trigger my binges... and being in denial sure doesn't help at all, so I have to FORCE myself to put those snacks on my list (10 days now) and then I see the whole day BLOWN away completely, and that makes me MAD. So I am now having to face some FACTs, ickkss.....:grumble: