Cottage cheese and sodium

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
I love cottage cheese for breakfast - love getting all that protein in the am, but the sodium kills me. 940gr in 1 cup, that's over almost 1/2 my daily sodium. Are there any "low sodium" brands out there? Are they any good?

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I tried cottage cheese for the first time this year and was shocked at how salty it tasted, especially since I read that people were eating it with fruit. To each his own, I guess
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    the higher fat versions should have less
  • tararoach40
    tararoach40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat the 1/3rd less sodium from Land O' Lakes, I believe && I think its still delicious && definitly saves on the sodium (still low in calories and fat =]] )
  • blondiesp
    blondiesp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakstone has a low sodium cottage cheese I bought it and it went in the garbage it tasted awful, so saying you from doing the same.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I avoid cottage cheese for this very reason! I would bloat terribly from the cup or so I was consuming! They do have low sodium brands out there. Warning, they just taste "different!"
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just had this realization yesterday! I checked the Safeway by my house and they didn't carry any low sodium options...but if they are out there then I guess today I will check Fred Meyer! I'm with you, I love cottage cheese but half your daily salt is a little hard to cope with!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about Friendship Daries no salt added cottage cheese but can't find it in a local store. I don't worry too much about sodium intake but sometimes it's so salty it just tastes bad. If you are really worried about the sodium, could you replace your daily cottage cheese with Greek yogurt? Similar fat and protein for the calories.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    If you have high blood pressure, refrain from eating high sodium food.

Otherwise, you can eat it in moderation and achieve your target calories and target daily sodium at the same time.

Many food items have natural sodium. You can not completely avoid it.

Cottage cheese without sodium tastes awful. I prefer the full version but only 1/4 cup a day for me.

Good luck in your journey
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    friendship low sodium whipped cottage cheese
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The lower sodiums wont have the same flavor. you can go higher fat or you can stick with the lower fat and deal with the sodium. My suggestion is to eat half a cup (a serving) versus a whole cup. that outta help.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    if you don't like the flavor of CC, which I sure don't, add organic powdered peanut butter to it, you wont taste it. it's delicious

here it is: http://www.bettylousinc.com/products_detail.php?id=287&ref=0
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Friendship 1% is my favorite...perfect amount of salt and it's a good texture. The no salt added kind tastes like wallpaper paste.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    prairie farms low fat cottage cheese with 50 percent less soduim
  • jessicaperkins52
    jessicaperkins52 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bought low sodium Hood cottage cheese for my mother in law, she said she couldn't tell a differnce in taste.