Juicing is it worth it?

vedra_b
vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
So i got a juicer for my birthday was super exited. And to be honest didnt really thing about anything other then this has to be healthy. but when i calulate my calories my juice was 177 calories. Is this work it when i can have a bowl of cerreal that makes me feel unhungry..... help what are your thoughts?

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    So i got a juicer for my birthday was super exited. And to be honest didnt really thing about anything other then this has to be healthy. but when i calulate my calories my juice was 177 calories. Is this work it when i can have a bowl of cerreal that makes me feel unhungry..... help what are your thoughts?

what is the difference between eating the food and juicing it?
  • vedra_b
    maybe its phychological but i feel like i am still hungry when i drink my calories instead of acually eating them. could be i am just nuts!
  • DatMurse
    maybe its phychological but i feel like i am still hungry when i drink my calories instead of acually eating them. could be i am just nuts!

it doesnt make sense.
    If anything you added water.

Its the same exact thing except for the fact you are skipping a part of the digestive process
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Eating the daily recommended amount (7-13 servings) of raw fruits and vegetables (juicing included) will lower the risk of chronic illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc...) and deliver the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily. Medical science reminds us every day that good nutrition and good health go hand in hand.

I see very little nutritional value in a bowl of cereal however eliminating animal milk and replacing it with rice, coconut, or almond milk and a reduced sugar cereal isn't all that bad every once in awhile, just not every breakfast.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I juice so i can get in my vegetables and fruit if i'm low for the day. Or if my kid isn't feeling well, I'll juice for him so he can get the vitamin C he needs. The only thing that I worry about is that when you juice, you're deleting the fibre in the fruit and vegetables. I don't know, I like to juice after a rough weekend of bad eating, just to get some nutrients I'm lacking.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    You're probably hungry from juicing because you are just getting the juice and not the fiber to fill you up.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    You do not want to consume too many liquid calories. Juicing removes the bulk of the fruit or veggie, leaving mostly water and sugars left to drink. They absorb very quickly in your body, spiking your blood sugar. You also end up consuming a lot more calories than just eating the fruit or veggie and it will not help satiate your appetite.

Again, calories from liquids isn't really the way to go for good health.
  • vedra_b
    I normaly eat some fiber one cereal with almond milk and a banana. again it may just be phychological but i am stuggling with it. i feel hungry even though i had my juice.
  • DatMurse
    You do not want to consume too many liquid calories. Juicing removes the bulk of the fruit or veggie, leaving mostly water and sugars left to drink. They absorb very quickly in your body, spiking your blood sugar. You also end up consuming a lot more calories than just eating the fruit or veggie and it will not help satiate your appetite.

spiking blood sugar is not bad unless you live a sedentary lifestyle, hypercaloric diet, and diabetic
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member

spiking blood sugar is not bad unless you live a sedentary lifestyle, hypercaloric diet, and diabetic

Consuming whole raw fruit and veggies balance the delivery of energy and satiate the appetite. Liquid calories deliver blood sugar much faster to the blood stream. It is not a bad thing if done occasionally, but it leads to increased production of insulin (mobilizes fat storage), subsequent up and down swings in energy (ever hear of sugar highs and crashes?), appetite spikes, and it can eventually lead to type II diabetes. We all sit down sometime in the day (sedentary). With juicing, you leave a lot of the most important part of the fruit/veggies in the pulp bucket. If you absolutely MUST drink your fruit/veggies, get a BlendTek or Vitamix and make smoothies
  • Let's look at your digestive system for a minute. Your teeth and saliva are designed to break down whole foods. Your stomach (the organ which tells you that you are hungry) produces acids which further break down whole foods. I've got nothing against juice, I love a glass of orange juice in the morning. However, your digestive tract was designed to digest food. Yes, you maybe feeling hungry because your stomach is quickly moving the liquid to the small intestine as it should, and is empty.

Additionally, not eating actual food by only drinking juice is removing some of the good stuff (like fiber, vitamins, minerals). It can also flush out the probiotic and prebiotic bacteria cultures your digestive tract needs. The worst case is with prolonged juice only diet you can give yourself stomach ulcers, or diabetes.

Be sensible.
  • DatMurse

Consuming whole raw fruit and veggies balance the delivery of energy and satiate the appetite. Liquid calories deliver blood sugar much faster to the blood stream. It is not a bad thing if done occasionally, but it leads to increased production of insulin (mobilizes fat storage), subsequent up and down swings in energy (ever hear of sugar highs and crashes?), appetite spikes, and it can eventually lead to type II diabetes. We all sit down sometime in the day (sedentary). With juicing, you leave a lot of the most important part of the fruit/veggies in the pulp bucket. If you absolutely MUST drink your fruit/veggies, get a BlendTek or Vitamix and make smoothies

the mobilization of fat storage is overexaggerated. I will agree with the "trash" from juicers is one of the most retarded things about it. Unless you have to take in low fiber due to a medical condition, it is idiotic to remove all that fiber and micronutrients leftover
  • PRIMEJuicers
    PRIMEJuicers Posts: 10 Member

First, great question. Juicing is great for the body. It delivers essential nutrients into your bloodstream quickly without the body having to digest the food and you get more nutrients from juicing than you would if you ate the whole food. The process of juicing breaks down the cell walls in the fruits and vegetables so you get more.

I juicie daily, but I also eat regular meals. Juicing is supplemental for me and not necessarily a substitute. I do sometimes substitute fresh juice for a meal, usually breakfast and, I juice fast occasionally.

I would recommend to anyone that they at least try it. Juice something familiar at first like oranges and apples, then move toward the more beneficial green juices. I love spinach, carrots, kale, cucumber and apple. I also juice wheatgrass and sprouts.

I notice a difference (more) in energy when I drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice. After doing it regularly over a period of time, I feel better overall. Healthier, lighter and my thinking is clearer. It's just a great way to get more fruits and vegetables into the body. Fresh fruits and vegetables are good for everyone.

I hope you find enjoyment it in. Best wishes!
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Yea- I use it once in a while. I hate the taste of broccoli and a few other green vegetables. Thus, when I feel like I need to eat something green I juice it and slam it. Also juice beets once in while to get some magnesium. Mainly used to get the nasty green crap down.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm with you--

I've been experimenting with smoothie recipies-- green ones, fruit ones, etcetera. But the fact of the matter is, it's more satisfying to me to just EAT the stuff that I put in the blender.

I LIKE raw green vegetables and fruit.
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Instead of juicing why not do smoothies- just put it in a good blender to really break down the veggies or fruits and still keep all the fiber in. It fills me up every time. I did the juicing after watching "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead." It didn't last and I put back the 12 lbs I lost in 3 weeks after going back to solids. Granted, I didn't follow the regiment back to solids but I was just too bored of juicing.

I'm sure it's great as a "snack" in between meals but not as a meal replacement. Just my opinion.
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    *psychological. I'm sorry.

And just to add to the conversation, personally I would rather consume my calories via food -that being said, I got a Pampered Chef juicer last week and tangelos are amazing in juice form!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Drinking a cup of kale+cucumber+celery+ginger juice=/= a bowl of cereal nutritionally... maybe the calories are the same but it's not nutritionally the same food.

If your body is devoid of vegetables, juicing could be a good way to begin to get your taste buds used to them.

If you're just thinking about juicing fruits then forget about it, give the juicer away and just chomp down on a tasty peach instead.

I'm an avid juicer (VEGETABLE juice, heavy on the greens) but it's not for everyone.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    juicing is a brilliant way to boost your nutrients. LOADS of veg and only a little fruit means you can have a pint, like I am now, stretch it out over the entire morning and drink water too, you shouldn't feel hungry and you'll see the improvement in your skin and energy. I always use a straw though, as it can be bad for your teeth long term. My juice is mainly celery, carrot and spinach. Sometimes cucumber and lettuce. I add 1 apple and a half a lemon per pint at least. Sometimes I'll use a kiwi or an orange too. Good luck, if you don't like it, add more lemon or lime and you'll get used to it
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Drinking a cup of kale+cucumber+celery+ginger juice=/= a bowl of cereal nutritionally... maybe the calories are the same but it's not nutritionally the same food.

If your body is devoid of vegetables, juicing could be a good way to begin to get your taste buds used to them.

If you're just thinking about juicing fruits then forget about it, give the juicer away and just chomp down on a tasty peach instead.

I'm an avid juicer (VEGETABLE juice, heavy on the greens) but it's not for everyone.

:flowerforyou: