What exercises can I possibly do?

Options
I don't have a gym near me (the nearest is about 45 minutes) and I don't have the money for a membership right now. I've been walking and that's been helping so far, but I know I need to start doing different things. But what can I do at home? Without having to buy equipment, of course? I feel stuck & like I won't be able to lose the weight because I won't be able to adequately exerceise. I guess losing weight isn't for broke college kids. Any advice or suggestions? Please & thank you!

Replies

• eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    How about DVDs? Insanity workout seems to be doing well. If you can't afford to buy them, there's always youtube :)
    Also, doing squats, lunges, push ups and crunches require only a floor. You can do them in your room.
    And instead of walking, you can take it up a notch and start running.
    good luck.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has great exercises and all free. some exercises just need a
    kettle bell or dumbells
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how cheap hand weights are at the discount stores like Wally World. Just start with one pair of fairly small ones. There are lots of you tube videos out for using them.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Remember, weight loss is primarily about what you put in your mouth. Exercise will help you get a fit body, but less food = weight loss.
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit

This Youtube channel uploads many workouts that you can do at home :)
  • aeverson2
    aeverson2 Posts: 10
    Options
    Girl just turn up the music and pretend you're on Broadway!
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My issue is making time to get to the gym - so I youtube everything - Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a great place to start, there's also banish fat boost metabolism and I even found a persian zumba routine on there that I like. When all else fails agree with aeverson2 - turn up that music and dance (latin music is great for getting yourself to move).
  • NicoleMGetsFit
    NicoleMGetsFit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership but I'm half way through the 30 Day Shred and bought hand weights cheaply... before I had hand weights I used full water bottles.
    You can do it! I'm a student in a tiny room and I make it work :)
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said what I was going to!

DVDs - you can get tonnes on the market for different core areas - anything from yoga to crazy cardio workouts, zumba etc. Any movement is better than no movement and you can usually pick them up quite cheap.

YouTube - blessed be! Loads of work outs on here. Watch them a couple of times first, get to grips with the moves and get started!

Websites - fitnessblender and I'm sure there are others.

Weights; you can pick up small weights in most stores now that don't break the bank. Failing that, use cans of dense products like beans or soup - or even bottled water - fill with sand/water and pump out!

Keep with the walking. I lost 30lbs of my weight from walking alone - about 3-4 miles a day, brisk(ish) pace.

Good luck!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of body weight exercises that you can do without hand weights even. Like squats, pushups, lunges, crunches, burpees, planks, and so many more.

Walking is great exercise so don't knock it! You can also try adding in some running in intervals until you work up to running all the time. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned stairs. They can be the basis of stepping and leg stretches. Had to use them for rehab with my knee and really got a workout from an 8 in step
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am a poor college student too! Lol but I don't go to the gym because it is to expensive. But I got a Jillian dvd for $9ish. And you just need weights and a matt. Which at Wal-Mart you can get a set for cheap.
  • dsa0123
    dsa0123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I just wasn't using my imagination! I mean, YouTube? I use that all the time, why didn't I think to use it for workouts?! Lol.