best way to beat a plateau

Options
been on plateau for nearly 1 month tried all sorts. Please help me i still have 2 stone to lose and feel a little disheartend.
I am 24 5ft 7 weigh 158 lbs and my bmr is around 1500 and my tdee is about 2150 on light exercise. I eat around 1680 cal per day usually under very rarely over but can not break this plateau.

Replies

• diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Same problem here....I need to lose 20 more pounds....but anything would make me happy!

TDEE is around 2000.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I recommend either mix up what you are doing, i.e. change how often you eat, change your work outs etc, or just ignore it.

Before hitting goal last year, I went through a 3 month plateau and chose to ignore it. I carried on doing what I was doing and ignored the scales. Despite my weight not moving, I dropped a dress size.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Try making small changes one at a time so you can see which one worked. I was on a 2 month plateau. Under the calories consistently, exercise consistently, the number never budged. Keeping all other factors the same, I cut the sugars to less than 45g per day. So I stopped the daily banana and other high sugar fruits, found Quaker granola bars that had 5g of sugar instead of 7, etc. (LOOK at all the sugars in all those "healthy" granola bars and other snacks!). BOOM! weight started dropping immediately, steadily on average 2 pounds per week. About every 4th week I I don't lose anything or even gain a pound, (mini-plateau?) but I just maintain what I am doing and the following week I may drop 3-4.So it has all averaged out Last 5 months has been about 40 pounds.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Iv taken measurements but no changes yet as i know body can change without scales moving. I just really need to get through plateau and carry on to my goal but at this rate i feel like im not getting anywhere very frustrating.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. Scaled hadn't moved in months. Ate more calories,changed my exercise routine up(started lifting weights) added more protein to my diet and weighed everything and lost 1.8 pounds that week.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Options
    So how much protien should i be aiming for per day and carbs etc. Also my calories are 1680 as in my first post is this enough 5 ft 7 158lbs bmr 1550 tdee is around 2170
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    been on plateau for nearly 1 month tried all sorts. Please help me i still have 2 stone to lose and feel a little disheartend.
    I am 24 5ft 7 weigh 158 lbs and my bmr is around 1500 and my tdee is about 2150 on light exercise. I eat around 1680 cal per day usually under very rarely over but can not break this plateau.

eat at maintenance for a week or more, if your deficit hasn't been too drastic.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    and if you're not already, LIFT!

majority of the serious women lifters on here
    started out as cardio bunnies and weren't getting the results
    in loss or body shape they wanted
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Change your exercise first. Chances are, your body has adapted to it. Add more duration, intensity, or reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I recommend either mix up what you are doing, i.e. change how often you eat, change your work outs etc, or just ignore it.

Before hitting goal last year, I went through a 3 month plateau and chose to ignore it. I carried on doing what I was doing and ignored the scales. Despite my weight not moving, I dropped a dress size.

Good advice. I just busted through a 2 month plateau a couple of days ago. I changed the Pilates up and climbed onto the elliptical instead of the treadmill. Small changes can really help.

I'd also gotten lazier on my food choices without really realizing it. Paging through my food diary helped with that.
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Same thing here, have been static for 4 weeks but have gone down another dress size! Advice here is spot on - mix it up, I'm weighing tomoz and hope I've lost a kilo ( 2 ibs). Keep going, the body needs time to adjust etc. Thanks everyone for great words of wisdom and OP for posting :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit any long plateaus yet, but I find when the loss slows its because I am a). Overestimating exercise cals or b). Underestimating what I'm eating. I get lazy and don't want to weigh my food. So for me when it slows down I redouble my calculating, both exercise and intake. It's been that every time for me so far.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Options
    Right so shake things up so can you tell me how i can shake it up i currently do 30 day shred dvd and josie gibson dvd i do at least 1 20 minute routine per day but recently trying to either do 40 mins so one exercise of each dvd and if i have time an extra session at end of the day. My issue is i have too small children with my every day (not an excuse i know and i always do at least 20 mins) but unable to get to gym so my routine has to be at home. I do each level of dvds 3 in total on both so not like i stick to easiest one and if i do easiest one on one il do hardest on the nxt dvd. DVDs both include cardio and lifting some weights and push ups etc so any way i can change things ideas etc would be grately appreciated!!!
    Thanks in advance
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Change your exercise first. Chances are, your body has adapted to it. Add more duration, intensity, or reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ THIS ^^ 100%

This will normally keep you going ...
    Funny, I recommended this in another thread, and had everybody disagreeing with it .... but it works ....
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Right so shake things up so can you tell me how i can shake it up i currently do 30 day shred dvd and josie gibson dvd i do at least 1 20 minute routine per day but recently trying to either do 40 mins so one exercise of each dvd and if i have time an extra session at end of the day. My issue is i have too small children with my every day (not an excuse i know and i always do at least 20 mins) but unable to get to gym so my routine has to be at home. I do each level of dvds 3 in total on both so not like i stick to easiest one and if i do easiest one on one il do hardest on the nxt dvd. DVDs both include cardio and lifting some weights and push ups etc so any way i can change things ideas etc would be grately appreciated!!!
    Thanks in advance

You could do some body weight exercises to build strength--look into You Are Your Own Gym, by Mark Lauren. There is an app for it as well.

You could also try doing some sort of interval training. Google HIIT (high intensity interval training) or Tabata to get ideas.