Suggestions

Options
ejoh40509
ejoh40509 Posts: 30 Member
Hello,
Can someone please suggest to me a good heart rate monitor and where to purchase one from. I really need to invest in one and I'm not sure on what to look for and what will produce a accurate reading. So, if anyone can help me out plse let me know ASAP.
Thanks

Replies

• danzgyrl29
    Options
    I have been looking too because I really need one....they have one that is like a ring which would be so good for me but I am not sure how good it is. I do not want a chest strap if possible.....I will keep you posted if I get one.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    polar F6 is what I use. I really like it. I think any of the Polar's are good. I purchased mine at sears on sale.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have been looking too because I really need one....they have one that is like a ring which would be so good for me but I am not sure how good it is. I do not want a chest strap if possible.....I will keep you posted if I get one.

Chest straps are more accurate reading.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been responding to this same question all day. LOL. Polar HRMs appear to be the most popular and widely recommended by other MFP users. The Polar F6 and FT7 often get mentioned on the threads. I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. It is waterproof (so you can swim with it), stores workout data, and you can change the battery yourself. I've heard that with the Polar F6 you have to send it away to get the battery changed, but it has almost the same features and is cheaper. I have seen both models running in price range between $80 and $110 depending on where you look. Amazon.com has some decent prices so that is a good option. I know that other people have suggested heartratemonitorsusa.com for one. No matter what brand you choose, most people say that a watch with the accompanying chest strap is the most accurate for numbers. If you have the $$, I really think that it is worth it to invest in one. It truly helps you with your training and getting more accurate numbers than guesstimating or relying on MFP's numbers. Hope you find one that you like!
  • jcubesmommy
    Options
    i like the mio - no chest strap
  • ejoh40509
    Options
    The ring, Wal-mart.com has and QVC and the reviews are not so good. So be careful in purchasing that one.
  • ejoh40509
    Options
    Does the Polar F6 have the chest strap?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar F6 HRM on Amazon for around $100

The Polar does have a chest strap. It is comfortable. I don't think the strapless ones are as accurate as the ones with straps.
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    what about the body bug...thats what they wear on the biggest loser but idk where to get it or if its good
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Just bought the Polar F6 (and yes it has a chest strap) because I heard it was good in the water too (from here). Seems to be working - just two days now. I found the best price at Amazon.com but they sometimes have them on eBay too. I just did not want to wait. Good Luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The body bugg is for monitoring calories in & calories out ALL day. An HRM is for monitoring calories burned during a period of hard exercise. The body bugg is $200-$300. Decent starter HRMs start at $50.
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    This is the one that I purchased at Academy for $89.99 (I LOVE IT:laugh: )
    Sportline Solo 960 Pedometer
    Heart Rate Watch

- Pedometer and heart rate watch in one
    - Patented One-Touch technology
    - Monitors calories burned
    - Water Proof
    - No chest strap
    - Easy directions

Had the Body Bugg for about two weeks and HATED it! Still trying to fight to get my refund! Some times simple is better but do what is best for YOU. I know for sure that you do not have to buy top of the line and super name brand to get quality.
  • teresa011
    teresa011 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg, and it not only monitors your calories out, it does monitor heart rate and calories burned during vigorous exercise, and with anything you do...........it also has a pedometer in it as well to monitor your steps, I have been using it since April and its a great tool to have, You can get the bodybugg on-line or at any gym that sponsers it, It also comes with a subscription to Apex, to help you out with all your questions that you might have.