Problem with binge eating...Help!

Options
Hello, Recently I have stumbled upon a bad bad thing that is new to me...Binge eating. I don't know what causes it or why i can't stop it from happening but its scary! Does anyone else out there have any tips or anything to help stop this? Thanks!

Replies

• AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    One day at a time.. It's hard to resist at first but when you get strong enough to resist you can use that memory the next time remind yourself that your capable of being in control of the situation because you have before.

Also don't cook more food than you need. I find that if I make a huge pot of spaghetti or something I'm gonna demolish it whether I'm hungry or not to the point of nausea.

Keeping your calories too low is also just asking for a binge( losing slower is much much better anyway)

Oh and if you do binge don't try to "make up for it" by fasting the next day or something. Just continue as you would normally

If I think of anything else ill let ya know. Add me if you'd like
  • lookin_new
    lookin_new Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Thanks!
  • KingMar3000
    Options
    I feel you on this one! I can be so good with my routine, and stick to my plan... but then there are those days where you feel ravenous for a moment. And after...you feel like utter ****. You feel bad that you broke down, ate more than you needed, and possibly food that wasn't good for you at all.
    What I do? Right when I want to stuff my face with food, I remember that ****ty feeling after binge eating. And suddenly, whatever I was about to shove down my mouth doesn't seem so delicious any more.

One quote that's always stuck with me when I feel like breaking down is this "If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not really hungry."
    Of course this applies to any healthy food/fruit/veggie, not just apples. BUT if you aren't hungry enough to eat something that's actually beneficial to you health wise... then you aren't hungry enough to eat something that's no good for you at all. :)
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One day at a time.. It's hard to resist at first but when you get strong enough to resist you can use that memory the next time remind yourself that your capable of being in control of the situation because you have before.

Also don't cook more food than you need. I find that if I make a huge pot of spaghetti or something I'm gonna demolish it whether I'm hungry or not to the point of nausea.

Keeping your calories too low is also just asking for a binge( losing slower is much much better anyway)

Oh and if you do binge don't try to "make up for it" by fasting the next day or something. Just continue as you would normally

If I think of anything else ill let ya know. Add me if you'd like

GREAT advice!!!! But you definitely need to keep trying to figure out your triggers so you can address the source of the problem not just the symptoms.
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    It has taken me a long time to learn how to not binge (I still do on occasion but I have really gotten it under control).

-Find out your trigger foods-mine are CHIPS, ice cream, cookies and soda.

-There are certain times people binge, most during 7-10 pm so just be EXTRA aware on patterns of times or events that might make you binge

-Don't keep (or at least try to not keep) those foods in the house. My husband still eats them but I get/make flavor I know I don't like-like cheddar and sour cream chips gross.

-Don't even have one bite of something if you even have an idea in your head that you will binge after eating it. Sometime I think "I have been good I can have one cookie" and I honestly feel like I will be able to only eat one cookie. I usually end up eating a crapload of them

-after binging if it happens....work out first thing next day-it'll make you feel so much better eventhough it is so hard to get up and moving after eating poorly the previous day

-Try to make sure you are eating enough during the day and throughout the day-don't save all your calories for evening because its hard to not go crazy at dinner if you do so

just some tips that have helped me personally, it looks like you have lost a great amount of weight so I feel like I should be asking you for tips
  • Byebyefattybumbum
    Byebyefattybumbum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a long time to learn how to not binge (I still do on occasion but I have really gotten it under control).

-Find out your trigger foods-mine are CHIPS, ice cream, cookies and soda.

-There are certain times people binge, most during 7-10 pm so just be EXTRA aware on patterns of times or events that might make you binge

-Don't keep (or at least try to not keep) those foods in the house. My husband still eats them but I get/make flavor I know I don't like-like cheddar and sour cream chips gross.

-Don't even have one bite of something if you even have an idea in your head that you will binge after eating it. Sometime I think "I have been good I can have one cookie" and I honestly feel like I will be able to only eat one cookie. I usually end up eating a crapload of them

-after binging if it happens....work out first thing next day-it'll make you feel so much better eventhough it is so hard to get up and moving after eating poorly the previous day

-Try to make sure you are eating enough during the day and throughout the day-don't save all your calories for evening because its hard to not go crazy at dinner if you do so

just some tips that have helped me personally, it looks like you have lost a great amount of weight so I feel like I should be asking you for tips

LOVE THIS! This has helped me so much! xxx
  • mishiimouse
    mishiimouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    whenever i feel like i'm going to binge, or i'm not sure, i make myself drink a glass of water and i brush my teeth before going near the kitchen or the pantry. drinking the water fills you up for a bit, and brushing your teeth just makes you feel clean, plus gives you something else to think about. that way, i don't want to stuff crud into my body. then, when i'm done with that? i eat veggies first, then some protein, and then if i'm still really hungry, i eat carbs. that way, if i do end up binging, i binge on veggies, and not chocolate,

awesome job so far! keep it up. :)
  • lookin_new
    lookin_new Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, Lots of helpful points!