Spike Diet

Options
Is anyone currently following the Spike Diet?

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have been for several years now, obviously I love it. It has changed my life completely.
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    What is it?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Whenever you think about food you shove a spike into something
  • Russellb97
    Options
    10 years ago this summer I lost 100lbs by eating in caloric deficit 6 days a week, focusing on high protein and fiber foods. Then one a day a week I eat a caloric surplus of whatever i want, usually pizza, donuts and ice cream., my Spike Day. It works because for the week I'm in an overall deficit and my Spike Day gives me a mental break and spikes the important hormones.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    10 years ago this summer I lost 100lbs by eating in caloric deficit 6 days a week, focusing on high protein and fiber foods. Then one a day a week I eat a caloric surplus of whatever i want, usually pizza, donuts and ice cream., my Spike Day. It works because for the week I'm in an overall deficit and my Spike Day gives me a mental break and spikes the important hormones.

Oh they call it that ? I was doing that for a year lost the 115 lbs in the first year doing that... I need to get back to it
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Congrats on the huge weight loss! You do need to get back, I've never stopped because I actually enjoy "dieting" this way.
  • lindsyury
    lindsyury Posts: 20
    Options

That sounds awesome!
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2u04dXH2I1r4ziz5o1_500.gif

Hmm, I thought the Spike Diet was something else entirely...
  • Russellb97
    Options
    I've moved away from the word "diet" though. It became my lifestyle and it will always be. Since I can still pig out on junk every week and not only maintain my weight loss but I keep getting in better and better shape.

Spike the calories and spike the hormones!
  • jonchris93
    jonchris93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to lose only about 10-12 lbs and I've struggled with the same amount for years now, I diet for a while lose the weight just to put it back on plus one or two pounds more a few months later and that has been my life for the past 5 years :(
    I think I damaged my metabolism by restricting my calorie intake for so long; anyway, I just got the spike diet book from Amazon and I will start tomorrow this new lifestyle. We'll see how it goes, I hope it works for me that I don't have much to lose.
  • ninababie2
    ninababie2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been eating low cal [1200] and one cheat day for a few weeks now. I was doing some research and just realized that it's an actual diet! So I'm going to modify my eating for Spike to 1200 3 days with cardio, 1400 [BMR] 3 days with light strength and a rest day that I'll do my best to hit 2800. Because I can't do 500 under my BMR is it even worth it to alternate between 1400 and 1200, will my body even notice? I'm 23, 5' 5" 146lbs 26 percent body fat
  • CuteBikini
    Options
    hmm.
  • CuteBikini
    Options
    tumblr_m2u04dXH2I1r4ziz5o1_500.gif

Hmm, I thought the Spike Diet was something else entirely...

HAHAHHAHAHAHA YOU'RE TOO AWESOME.THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS TOPIC. :D
  • jonchris93
    Options
    0.6 loss!!! Small loss but I've been at the same weight since February despite being in a low calorie diet
  • Russellb97
    Options
    0.6 loss!!! Small loss but I've been at the same weight since February despite being in a low calorie diet

So you spiked and ate more, but then lost weight and broke a two month plateau? That's awesome, a long plateau while eating low calories means to me that your metabolism is running slow but this will help get it going again.

Good job!
  • jonchris93
    Options

So you spiked and ate more, but then lost weight and broke a two month plateau? That's awesome, a long plateau while eating low calories means to me that your metabolism is running slow but this will help get it going again.

Good job!

Yes, I had three days at 1200 and three days at 1379 cals ( my RMR) and one amazing day at 2700 calories!! I ate a donut and a half for the very first time in months!! and lots of other "forbidden" stuff. I had a hard time at the end of the day getting to my goal but I did and the next day I was super ready to go back to my low calorie days.. It was easier for me to resist to the unhealthy snacks we always have at work knowing that Saturday was just a couple of days away.!! Looking forward to Saturday again.

Thanks!!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This doesn't work at all. The reason you all lost weight doing this is because of the 6 days that you were eating correctly and healthily, not shocking your body with one day of huge caloric intake. This is not all the right way to do it.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    This doesn't work at all. The reason you all lost weight doing this is because of the 6 days that you were eating correctly and healthily, not shocking your body with one day of huge caloric intake. This is not all the right way to do it.

What's wrong with being able to enjoy things like donuts every week and losing weight? I know of a several members of MFP who lost over 100lbs spiking.
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options

It absolutely DOES work! That's all I have to say! :flowerforyou:
  • lyork91
    Options
    Hey guys! I recently started the spike diet, and I am trying to follow it as closely as possible, but I am having a little trouble. I want to eat low-carb/high protein during the day, but I am a vegetarian. I will still eat some eggs and dairy occasionally (not vegan). I am having trouble coming up with ideas for foods to eat during the day that are high protein/low carb. I'm a college student on a budget and there is only so much greek yogurt that a girl can stomach. Any suggestions?? Anything than can be eaten on the go that is also low-carb (and not super processed) would be helpful as well.

Thanks!!