Ladies, TIME OF THE MONTH question!

Options
Ok so disclaimer, I am goin to talk about my period so if you are a male and that bothers you then you may want to click back now.

Okay, my question is: does my body Burn more calories when I'm on my period.
The reason I'm asking is, the first day I get my period every month, typically the first 3-5 hours, I am ridiculously hungry, starving to the core. My stomach is a bottomless pit. It doesn't matter how muh I each, how nutritious whenever I eat is, NTHING will suffice. And I have to eat quickly otherwise it's like hunger on top of hunger. And I'm not talking about cramps, I'm talking about sheer hunger.
So the reason why I'm wondering is its like my body NEEDS all that food. It's telling my brain in hungry and won't send a signal that I'm feeling even slightly full for about like I said three hours. So since it seems so natural, I am wondering If my body also helps me burn it all naturally. Or, is that WHY I get so hungry? Because my body is naturally burning a butt load of calories or something?

Replies

• rschreiber
    rschreiber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always just thought of it as hormonal. I can't think of any reason that our bodies would need extra calories at that time. But, I get the same way, it would be nice to know there is a physical reason for it, not just crazy hormones!!!
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The most informed answer you could get about this would come from an endocrinologist.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You are shedding internal pieces of yourself out of your body. Yes, your body has some biological reason for being hungry. You also lose some iron at this time.

And hormones is a rational explanation for part of it, too. Hormones affect everybody's bodies, and women are especially flooded with hormones on their periods.

You're not crazy. It's biology.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing (please note, guessing instead of knowing), that a) your body is losing lots of blood and iron with it and needs to get it back, and b) eating makes you feel good and releases feel-good hormones that help mask the cramps.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    i hear that tight clothing will help reshape your body.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    ^ lol don't listen to him! And yes I believe you do burn a few more calories at this time:)
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I researched this before and found that we only burn an extra 50 or so cals a day. That's only what I found out though, I don't know how accurate it is/isn't.

You could try taking a vitamin supplement and see if that helps? Maybe your body is needing a certain nutrient and you just aren't eating the right foods to find it? (not saying you eat unhealthy, but maybe there's one specific nutrient you just don't get enough of, like zinc or vitamin k or something).

I tend to just be less strict with myself anyway. Hormones make me emotional and cramps make me sore, so I cut myself a little slack :) I've never noticed any true weight gain from period cravings, only water weight which disappears pretty quick.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ^ lol don't listen to him! And yes I believe you do burn a few more calories at this time:)

:-P

Yes, you're bleeding and that needs to be replaced. Also watch your iron levels.