Your best $ tips & frugal advice!

Options
As a stay at home mom I thought it would be nice to have a thread that we could all use to post tips, and advice on how to spend wisely and save lots. My husband and I have 2 great kids with one going to 1st grade this year!!! So with that in mind we are trying to cut back as much as possible. I'm always looking for creative ways to save money and or reuse things around the house to make our paycheck stretch. Please post ideas, tips, advice and support here!

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump!
    I'm going to steal some! :glasses:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread on the message board a minute ago - coupon sites

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107640--and-coupons-the-frugal-life
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I really need this right now!! - I lost my job last year and we have been doing ok by stretching things out a bit and cutting back, but things are now getting really tight - I too have 2 kids one still in diapers ($ $ $) and we are needing more ways to stretch our buck!! I'm anxious to hear what all you savvy savers and budget friendly types have for advice too - this thread is a great idea.

My tip is if you are able grow your own vegetables - or befriend someone who has a plentiful garden!! We have been eating a lot of zuchinni, squash, tomatoes, and cucumbers this summer and haven't paid for any of them. My in-laws have a wonderful garden and are always willing to share their extras!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Go to angelfoodministries.com and search your area. They have food you can get for super cheap. Their signature box is supposed to feed a family of 4 for a week and it's usually about $30 - this month I think it's $23. They also have after school snacks/meals for kids for about $20, an allergen-free box which is mostly breaded chickens for about $25 I think, they usually have either a meat box (steaks/ground beef/sausage, usually mostly red meats) or a seafood box, also a fruit/produce box. I try to order from them every now and then just to stock up on meat and it lasts me a month or two if it's just me and the bf eating from it.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this too!! Always interested in ways to save $$ - especially with trying to eat healthier!!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Milk is a lot cheaper at quick trip in the bags and then just put it in a pitcher!

Cub has some great coupon books inside the store....sometimes!

Comparison shop.....bring a calculator and figure it out. The bigger container is not always the cheapest...the generic and store brand either!

Lots of hotdishes with whole wheat pasta.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are a good one in terms of nutrition for your $, though they can be time intensive. A slow cooker helps with that though.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    -Have a weekly grocery budget set and it can become like a little challenging game to stay under it.
    -Shop the Farmer's Market nearest to you, veggies there are especially well-priced, I often feel like I'm robbing the good folks there!
    -Wash and reuse aluminum foil and Ziploc bags. I can't imagine how much money some people probably go through on these, I always just wash my bags and stand them on the counter, though you can buy little hang-y racks to dry them on.
    -Nix the paper towels. If you go through lots, you can save money by buying a bulk set of cheap cloth napkins (or get a bunch of them at thrift store, just wash in a hot load before using) and reusing them
    -Base your meals around beans, whole-grain rice, whole-grain pasta, and veggies. Meat is pricey, having a couple meat-free meals a week can really help the budget (and your health!)
    -This time of year, I bet you could get any friends who have a garden to give you a boatload of veggies if you offer to help them weed for an hour once a week, or something like that. Everyone I know who has a garden is practically begging me to help them eat up the zucchini and cucumbers right now.
    -If you find you're constantly buying new toys, start taking the kids to Goodwill and letting them pick out a toy or game there instead (though I'd probably stay away from the stuffed animals, anything plastic can be washed in bleach). I buy board games there for a dollar, and they often have good, new ones plus the classics.
    -Have a garage sale!

Edited to add one more:
    -If you are movie watchers, get Netflix. 9 bucks a month for movies really isn't that much if you already watch 2-3 new release movies a month and occasionally turn one in late. Also, since we got Netflix and also use the Instant Play through our Wii, we stopped going to the movie theater. We have more than enough to watch!
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oh the many things i can think of hehe. sorry if some seem silly or strange lol - turn off water while brushing teeth or washing dishes, use cold water to wash light soiled laundry, cold showers also if you can handle it haha, buy generic (unless it's really bad!), dry clothes at night if it heats your house too much or air dry outside during day, turn off all lights not needed, make sure you have good blinds on windows, recycle cans and newspapers, get a piggy bank for your recycling money, teach kids to find coupons for you (i love coupons!), cut up old clothes to use as cleaning rags, wash and reuse plastic storage bags (if you don't mind), take the toaster oven outside to cook during the summer, look up cheap but healthy recipes online (food.com is a great start), buy rechargeable batteries, unplug any kind of charger when it's not in use.... that's all i got haha

oh and when my fiance and i make our grocery list, we write down what we want, need, and our estimated price for each item. then we add it up, look at the total and decide together what we want to take off to fit our budget for the week. then we cross out the items we don't need and keep going until we've got just what we can afford. plus a lot of the times, if you over estimate you can squeeze more things right before you head to the register if you think you have enough. it works very well. since you have kids you could include them too. when we're planning i try to think of meals i could cook with what we're getting and ask my fiance what sounds good to him and what we'd need. you don't have to plan in detail your meals or anything tho. but it helps make for less of those "damn it i forgot to get ______ when we went to the store!" moments haha.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Go to angelfoodministries.com and search your area. They have food you can get for super cheap. Their signature box is supposed to feed a family of 4 for a week and it's usually about $30 - this month I think it's $23. They also have after school snacks/meals for kids for about $20, an allergen-free box which is mostly breaded chickens for about $25 I think, they usually have either a meat box (steaks/ground beef/sausage, usually mostly red meats) or a seafood box, also a fruit/produce box. I try to order from them every now and then just to stock up on meat and it lasts me a month or two if it's just me and the bf eating from it.

This is awesome. I know a ton of people who are out of work, struggling, my parents (just retired) and this program is awesome! There is a place nearby, too, sounds like a good place to volunteer!
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    -The produce people at the grocery store are your friends!! Whenever I go in there will be someone going through the produce and taking out the items with a little bruise or something - they throw this stuff out!! If you talk to them they will give you them for super discounted prices. I get a huge box of bananas (like 30-40) for $6 and bags of bell peppers and hot pepeprs for a quarter.
    -buy in bulk!! Expensive at first but really pays off in the end.
    -Also if you have a bakery they usually discount bread that is on its last day. I buy it for my husband and just put them in the freezer. This holds it over and I just take out a slice when needed for toast or what not.
    -Shopathome.com has consilidated a bunch of different coupon sites into one. The site is a bit hard to navigate but once you figure it out its easy. I have saved over $40 using this website for groceries & didn't buy anything extra just because I had a coupon.
    -Also I no longer buy all the expensive detergents & household products they rip us off on. A box of borax, washing soda, baking soda, & vinegar are all you need to clean your entire house! This saves sooo much money!! check out these recipes (please don't mind the two coleslaw recipes at the bottom - food.com is going through changes & I can't seem to delete them): http://www.food.com/cookbook/home-bath-products-277940
    -As someone else said beans are great for saving money - get the dried ones & learn how to prepare them so they are easier on the digestive system! Also sprouts & quinoa are two other great money savers because they triple in size when cooked.
    -Get a couple pots, soil & seed and grow some greens in your window! We do this and don't have to buy lettuce ever!!!
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I use the heals of the bread to make bread crumbs. Just put them in the food processor and add some seasoning. I freeze it for use anytime on my baked chicken strips. Yum! Oh, and the bottom of the bag of chips makes a great breading too.
    We buy a canteloupe or watermelon for the kids lunches and after school snack. We also buy in bulk, then pair down to smaller containers so things stay fresh. We make the jugs Crystal Light for the whole family.

I saw an article about using cloth bags for dry snacks. My mom sews so I want her to make some for us.

When we do eat out, we go to places that have specials or coupons. I don't ever buy clothes for more than $5. It's great if you have a friend with a kid a few years older than yours.

The library is amazing. The kids can get books AND movies, and so can I. We have Netflix too.

I guess that's about it. Can't wait to see more!
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Look for local bakery outlets. We have a Mrs. Baird's here and I get the 45 calorie bread for $.89 and the bagel and sandwich thins for $1.09 a package. I just freeze for later!

Also, if you have a 99 cent store, dollar tree or Aldi near you - use them! They are cheap and carry great stuff.

Coupons - though time consuming, I save hundreds of $ every year and end up with tons of free stuff.

Reuse Ziploc bags. turn inside out, soak in hot soapy water, rinse well and dry.

Invest in some small reusable snack cups and make your own pudding and jello.
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    amazing advice friends...keep them coming...mine is reuse dryer sheets at least 2x i promise you will never notice the difference. I also make about 5lbs of hamburger meat at once and season it all with taco seasoning and add in beans. Divide it into freezer bags and on days when you need a taco or a taco salad all you do is throw it in the microwave! Best tip!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My mom turned me on to the 99 cent store and the dollar store for stuff (I love that someone already posted that! :-)... Like canned goods, the individual drink packets (like crystal light but other brands --much cheaper!), cereal, etc.

I know money might be tight, but could you split a membership to Sam's or Costco? You can save a lot buying in bulk. I had a membership to Costco first, then my parents got on my card, then my dad upgraded our membership so he pays it now ;-) My boyfriend's mom is member at Sam's and she gave him a card... so we have access to both. It's nice since you can find different things. And gas costs slightly less at Sam's & Costco too....

I like buying snacks in bulk. Just this weekend, I bought this huge bag of cheddar chex mix for under $5.... got snack baggies (which I also save and reuse!) and measured out my 1/2 cup portion.... the individual snack bags are 2 servings and cost 2 times as much! This way you control your portions. I also like buying the Emerald Nuts, MorningStar Farms black bean burgers, and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches...MUCH much cheaper...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    invest in a giant dry-erase wall calendar, and post it in your kitchen. Write down dinner for every night of the pay period. This will help you create a grocery list, count your calories better, and stick to it! It's also useful for appointments & celebrating the new pay period ;)
  • blbeane
    blbeane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy can be very expensive. Aldi is my new best friend. I buy plain yogurt there to make my morning smoothies with frozen fruit I buy at Sam's Club. I have also found that frest fruit and veggies are cheaper at Aldi since the larger portions at Sam's go bad before I can eat it all. I buy what I know I will eat for the week. Sometimes this means multiple trips to the store each week, but they are close to me, and I would rather do that, then throw out spoiled food. I also watch the weekly sales flyers for the specials of the week and plan my meals around that. I love this time of year because I can enjoy wonderful fresh season fruit at an affordable price.

I also rarely eat out. I hate fast food and eating out is so expensive and bad for your waist line. Eating at home is cheaper and you control what goes in your meals. I also work on the road, so I pack a small cooler of fruit, veggies, and bottled water before leaving for work, to avoid stopping at gas stations to buy these items when I get hungry.

I am also lucky because I teach group fitness classes, so my gym membership is free. Added bonus: I get paid to workout. :smile:
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My mom turned me on to the 99 cent store and the dollar store for stuff (I love that someone already posted that! :-)... Like canned goods, the individual drink packets (like crystal light but other brands --much cheaper!), cereal, etc.

I know money might be tight, but could you split a membership to Sam's or Costco? You can save a lot buying in bulk. I had a membership to Costco first, then my parents got on my card, then my dad upgraded our membership so he pays it now ;-) My boyfriend's mom is member at Sam's and she gave him a card... so we have access to both. It's nice since you can find different things. And gas costs slightly less at Sam's & Costco too....

I like buying snacks in bulk. Just this weekend, I bought this huge bag of cheddar chex mix for under $5.... got snack baggies (which I also save and reuse!) and measured out my 1/2 cup portion.... the individual snack bags are 2 servings and cost 2 times as much! This way you control your portions. I also like buying the Emerald Nuts, MorningStar Farms black bean burgers, and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches...MUCH much cheaper...

We too have a Sams card; however, I didn't know they sold Skinny Cow! I'm so there next week...
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We too have a Sams card; however, I didn't know they sold Skinny Cow! I'm so there next week...
    [/quote]

They have a combo pack...Half vanilla, half chocolate (ice cream sandwiches). I think it's a box of 20 for like $9.98... Considering one box of 6 is anywhere between $3.99-4.99, great deal!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    amazing advice friends...keep them coming...mine is reuse dryer sheets at least 2x i promise you will never notice the difference. I also make about 5lbs of hamburger meat at once and season it all with taco seasoning and add in beans. Divide it into freezer bags and on days when you need a taco or a taco salad all you do is throw it in the microwave! Best tip!

dryer sheets - we stopped using these, and instead we bought a bottle of downy, added a bit of water to dilute it and poured it into a spray bottle. we just spray an old washcloth about 2-3 times and toss it in the dryer with the wet clothes. lasts much longer than dryer sheets, and is better for the environment.

make-ahead meals - on Saturday or Mondays i like to make the rest of the weeks meals and store them in the fridge or freezer for the coming week. this helps SO MUCH with the diet part also since i am much less tempted to eat out at the last minute when i know there is good food waiting for me at home.