Crystal Light or Diet Cola healthier?

Options
Just wondering what people think- which is healthier?

The main differences I see are the diet soda has caffeine and carbonation, and the Crystal Light doesn't. Both have aspartame. Both are not pure water.

Edit:
I guess I am also wondering whether one is more hydrating than the other, and what makes these drinks unhealthy

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say either of them are "healthy" but they wont hurt you either (assuming you have no reactions from the aspartame). I drink both, with no problems.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for healthy...you aren't going to find it in either one. Healthy = water. If you are looking for low cal, either works but = unhealthy.
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    Take some big old pasta sauce jars (or other big jars, or a pitcher, whatever), clean them out, put your favourite tea bags in 'em, add boiling water, let cool (or use ice if impatient), take out tea bag and store in fridge for delicious iced tea. It's much much healthier and there are a million different tea flavours so you must like one.
  • bluebusgirl
    Options
    Neither one! They are both a chemical ****storm. Your body doesn't know how to process that stuff, and it will end up being tossed into your cells as FAT. DON'T use no fat, "lite", Lo fat, or diet stuff. Furthermore, if you have to drink soda, drink soda WATER, and add fruit juice to it. Try to find ones that don't have a lot of sugar.
    Read labels. Avoid artificial sweeteners (even "splenda, which claims to be "natural") and Lo-fat foods.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Neither one is very good for you. There have been talks about colas linked to bone density decrease but its not from the carbonation or it has not been proven to do so under clinical trial. Caffeine is not terrible to you, but too much caffeine has harmful side effects like sleeplessness, nervousness, headaches etc, and that's a good reason to cut back. But for perspective, understand that coffee has way more caffeine than soda, so caveat if you are a coffee drinker trying to cut back on soda.

Apartame, sacarin, sugar alcohols also have their own set of problems but that is a whole other can of worms. I would say to cut back on diet soda and replace it with soda water (also called sparkling water.) if you need taste to quench your thirst..You will fair better not to take in the sodium from soda anyways.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Don't drink them for a while and you'll realise how disgusting they are.

If you like having healthy teeth, healthy insides and energy, then steer clear of that crap and just have water!! These days I reject soft drink even when offered, and if I really have to drink it to be polite I rush it down with tap water. Tastes like straight sugar. And this is coming from a chocolate and cake ADDICT!

They're empty calories, as they say 'don't drink calories', a very good statement!
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would speculate that the crystal light would be less harmful to tooth enamel.

Assuming you're drinking relatively "normal" amounts of it I wouldn't be concerned about aspartame.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Neither one! They are both a chemical ****storm. Your body doesn't know how to process that stuff, and it will end up being tossed into your cells as FAT. DON'T use no fat, "lite", Lo fat, or diet stuff. Furthermore, if you have to drink soda, drink soda WATER, and add fruit juice to it. Try to find ones that don't have a lot of sugar.
    Read labels. Avoid artificial sweeteners (even "splenda, which claims to be "natural") and Lo-fat foods.

lol.

NO.
  • Blueteddy88
    Blueteddy88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of both and find it very hard to cut out entirely. I will have an occasional glass of either. But I always have an equal sized glass of water (alternating sips or drink it after) because both will dehydrate you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

lol.

NO.

This.

To OP:
    The water at my work tastes ****ty... so in order to mask the taste, I add the crystal lite drops. Not may but enough.

I also drink Pespi Next which has splenda and I haven't experienced any adverse affects. If you are looking for caffeine, and a more natural tasting soda, then Pepsi Next is it.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip to get you drinking more water and less soda/Crystal Lite:

1. Fill a large glass with ice cubes and water.
    2. Pour a splash of lemon juice or cranberry juice on top.
    3. Add a few drops of lemon, lime, and or grape flavored liquid stevia.
    4. Enjoy.
    5. Rinse and repeat.

I've found that I will drink more water (I'm talking 10-15 cups a day) when it's flavored and when I drink it with meals. My favorite combos include lemon/lime, lemon/grape, cranberry/lemon, cranberry/lime.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would speculate that the crystal light would be less harmful to tooth enamel.

Assuming you're drinking relatively "normal" amounts of it I wouldn't be concerned about aspartame.

This.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i use more water than called for on the packets - like 32 oz per packet. otherwise they are way too strong! only way i can get myself to drink enough in a day.

i understand they both have artificial sweeteners, but i think they are much better then soda.
  • bluebusgirl
    Options
    If you have crappy tasting water, filter it with a pitcher. It tastes SO much better, you will find yourself craving water because its' so delicious. Add a little lemon juice. It drop kicks your metabolism, and cleans your kidneys. I even drink hot lemon water sometimes instead of coffee. It gives me energy, and it gets rid of kidney stones (which I am prone to.)

Soda contains tons of sugar in the form of corn syrup which is now 90% GMO. GMO corn has been shown to cause enormous tumors in mice and rats. I quit drinking soda or any beverage that has corn syrup in it, and I'm trying to eliminate it from my diet all together, but it's hard. It's in everything--even things like ketchup! I'm making more and more of my own stuff from scratch. But back to soda--I bought a soda stream machine, and I make my own and add non-corn syrup juice to it. It's delicious and refreshing just by itself, or with lemon, too.
  • tilos1
    tilos1 Posts: 6
    Options
    The studies that showed diet sodas to cause various health problems found soda water to be fine. You can buy a relatively inexpensive soda water system where you fill it with tap water and use co2 cartridges. Then you can add a bit of flavor--such as a splash of juice as someone above suggested, or make your own soda syrups (just go easy on them). The soda stream one described above is supposed to be nicer than the seltzer-style bottle I have (though it is more expensive). It is a great way to wean yourself off of sweet beverages.

I also love drinking tea (hot or iced) either plain or with a small amount of honey and some fresh mint. If I've worked out, I'll treat myself to some coconut water (you do have to watch the natural sugar content with that, but it is great after a long sweaty workout).

If the issue is with your tap water, consider getting a faucet-mounted water filter system. They aren't too expensive and I've found them to work better than the brita pitcher.

[ETA: Personally, I would rather be getting a small amount of calories from say 2 teaspoons of honey a day used to sweeten several glasses of tea, then to consume any aspartame]
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The caffeine and phosphoric acid in the Diet Coke are what cause leaching of calcium from your bones in your body's effort to maintain a very slightly alkaline pH. However, both DC and CL contain artificial sweeteners, which can (depending on in the individual) increase cravings for sweet foods.

The bottom line - drink water. Soak it in fruit for flavour if you're looking for a boost, eg:

~slices of lemon
    ~slices of lemon, cucumber, and whole fresh mint leaves if you have them in your garden
    ~melon and/or cucumber slices
    ~slices of strawberry and kiwi, or just strawberry
    ~whole raspberries and blueberries

etc. Throw a big pitcher of water and sliced fruit in the fridge overnight, then sip from it all day. Deelish. I often do this on weekends just for fun. The lemon in particular is very cleansing.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    water. Read Skinny ***** and you will never touch soda or aspartame again.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Honestly I stay away from both. Aspartame is not good for the body and has been linked (mostly unofficially but the anecdotal evidence is there) to many ailments. Soda is the worst of the two though because of the chemicals and coloring agents. Better choices are water --flavor it with fruit or cucumbers if you dont like the taste of plain. That's what I do. Also, herbal teas, sweetened with a little honey, stevia or even sugar. But if you're going to have either the soda or the Crystal Light, go for the Crystal Light.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120lbs and NEVER had any problems with either diet soda or crystal light .. if it helps you get your water, especially with Crystal Light then DO IT!!!!..

Every time I see a study that says something is bad or will give you cancer. You have to see how they are running the study..9times out of 10 they are OVERDOSING the animal. In amounts that are unhealthy and extreme to begin with so the study is not correct. For us humans to get say cancer in real life, from like the 'fake sugars' you would have to drink an Olympic sized swimming pool (mind you that's like 16ft deep instead of 9) FULL in your life time and that's just not going to happen!!

So yes drink your crystal light and diet soda. Keep the soda to moderation and enjoy being hydrated!